Wut's up with Anime and recap episodes?

mikeghtmare

Elite Member
Dec 20, 2006
So, I was watching Samurai Champloo and we got to that episode in the middle of the series which recaps everything that has happened... what's up with that? Why do so many anime do it (most if not all)?

The Samurai Champloo one was well done, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why they do it? Does it serve a purpose I'm not aware off?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Well you have to remember that these animes originally aired on a network for the first time at some point. A mid-season recap is not uncommon to refresh those who have been following each week, or new watchers who've tuned in either at that episode, or missed previous episodes.

I don't believe Samurai Champloo was an exclusive DVD-only release. If it was then I see no logical reason because it comes as a box set.

and I agree, it's one of my favourite animes.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
Alot animes do it. Code geass was the worst with literaly 3-4 recaps in season 1, and another 3-4 in season 2. Tho that anime can get confusing if you miss an episode or 2. Mostly recaps are a good way for anime 24+ episode so your not like "hey i dont remember that guy/place./thing" so they recap instead of you going back trying to fig out who the person is.

netherdragon

Superior Member
Nov 23, 2006
i can see y recaps are put in but damm some of them just suck balls...

i belive one piece has recaps at one point that take up like 3-4 episodes in a row, fair enuf there is a hell of a lot of one piece episodes but damm... 3-4 in a row...

i dont mind he odd half episode or even single episode recap though, eccpecially if it highlights some points most people would have missue dthe first time.

mikeghtmare

Elite Member
Dec 20, 2006
I figured it was something like that, but wondered if there was more to them.
Like netherdragon I don't mind the half episode and even a single episode, but it has to be well done. Samurai Champloo made it real funny so it was good, but I've seen others which are the exact same as before and make it a little boring.