Xbox 360: Achievement migration on XBOX 720?

Sony Pizza

Forum Elder
Sep 27, 2007
All-right so I was just thinking about something while sitting at home for lunch. Alot of us Xbox 360 gamers have spent hours into trying to get the 1000/1250/1300/1400/1500/1600/1700 achievement mark on your gamer card, but what will happen when the new Xbox is released? Does that mean that all of our hours have gone to waste? I certainly hope not.

It seems questionable, simply because it can go one of two ways...

Situation a.) They may feel that they want the gamers to focus on the newer, more advanced software and therefore encourage neglegence towards the older Xbox games.

Situation b.) They want the gamer to feel that they can experience both the old and the new forms of games.

It's hard to say, but I really hope that they allow you to keep your achievements. That'd be a huge waste of time for me. Also, to encourage the purchase of their games on a much wider scale, online mode should be capable of play with people on other consoles...

As an example, Call of Duty 4 players can play with each other from the PC, Xbox, or PS3. That would be neat.

TheDoctor

Apprentice
May 21, 2006
Your achievement's are linked to your gamercard, which is not platform specific. [E.g, Games for Windows and Xbox 360 games share the same gamercard].

The only way to 'lose' the achievements would be if they forced everyone to get a new account - and given that the account now spans Xbox, 360, PC, [Zune?] that seems highly unlikely.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Gamer accounts existed since Live launched, even though there were no gamer points allocated to original XBOX games (which was the platform Live launched with), gamer accounts were allowed to be migrated over to the X360...

I see it being no different next time around.

R

Rapture

I personally hope our games and DLC we bought will be carried over to the next system. Assuming the NextBox is backwards compatible.

Stevie Carnage

Dedicated Member
Aug 7, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I'm really not sure that one should just combine 360 and 720 (assuming that's the name, lord I hope not) games. Sure, I've spent my fair share of time doing stupid things one would never think to do in a game only to be rewarded a little pop telling me I just got 10 points, but I wouldn't mind starting over on a new console. It isn't as though the points are worth anything.

Microsoft should just give you your Gamerscore total in points for downloadable content when you switch over to a new console. I think that would offer a nice little incentive, as long as they could find a way to keep people from scamming them.

R

Rapture

They should give you the option to start anew. For those, like you, who may want a fresh slate.

That, or they keep the 360 and 720 achievements separated in different lists and scores.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Maybe when your playing your Xbox 720, it will still show your gamerscore, but when you go to look at your achievement list, there will be a "Xbox 360 games" tab you need to open to see the older games.

Jabjabs

Elite Guru
May 10, 2006
www.superderp.com
Well I just installed GTA4 on PC the other day and the first thing on booting the game is to ask me to enter my Live account details. A minute later and all Xbox achievements and details where on my PC ready to go.

The accounts are universal now days and they will continue on as normal with a release of a new machine. This also applies to PSN as well now days considering they are just making it a universal online system as well and I'm damn glad that both MS and Sony are doing this.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
[QUOTE="Sony Pizza, post: 0]All-right so I was just thinking about something while sitting at home for lunch. Alot of us Xbox 360 gamers have spent hours into trying to get the 1000/1250/1300/1400/1500/1600/1700 achievement mark on your gamer card, but what will happen when the new Xbox is released? Does that mean that all of our hours have gone to waste? I certainly hope not.

It seems questionable, simply because it can go one of two ways...

Situation a.) They may feel that they want the gamers to focus on the newer, more advanced software and therefore encourage neglegence towards the older Xbox games.

Situation b.) They want the gamer to feel that they can experience both the old and the new forms of games.

It's hard to say, but I really hope that they allow you to keep your achievements. That'd be a huge waste of time for me. Also, to encourage the purchase of their games on a much wider scale, online mode should be capable of play with people on other consoles...

As an example, Call of Duty 4 players can play with each other from the PC, Xbox, or PS3. That would be neat.[/quote]Have to disagree. Each generation should reset the gamer points imho. I think it's especially prudent when you consider the immense amount of cheating that went on in the early days to boots points.

There's absolutely no reason I can think of why points gained in a previous console's generation would be of use or importance to the next generation. However, it's not a hill I'm going to die on and so if they do carry them over then so be it.

dobisskill

Superior Member
Oct 2, 2006
Cheshire, UK
I wouldn't like a straight up reset, but i would like the new Xbox's score to be seperate from the 360. I would like to be able to look at 360 achievements and score though the the 720's (or whatever) gamerprofile system, but the gamerscore from 360 games doesn't add to the total of the 720 gamerscore if that makes sense. Like if it had 2 options, compare games (like it has now on 360), and then under that there is an option to compare 360 games and both having seperate gamerscores.

Merchant

Elite Member
Jul 23, 2006
Because having a point total on your gamer card some how make spending hours on achievements not a waste of time?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
First, the next Xbox is not going to be called 720. That would be 2 complete rotations making land exactly where it started. Makes no sense at all.

2nd, I would assume that Microsoft would carry over any achievements and score over to the next console since Xbox Live is connected to your gamer tag. Nobody likes to start over and if they lose all their hard work and points you can surely bet that a lot of gamers will quit Microsoft because nobody wants to think they wasted all these years achieving their gamerscore.

All these threads talking about the next console makes me think current 360 owners are getting worried that their console may not hold up for another 3 years....Microsoft has no plans on releasing any new consoles till 2012. This is in the latest GameInformer.

Sony Pizza

Forum Elder
Sep 27, 2007
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 0]First, the next Xbox is not going to be called 720. That would be 2 complete rotations making land exactly where it started. Makes no sense at all.[/quote]
What the hell are you talking about? :shock: I know what you mean, but it just doesn't make sense - it would be just a name.

2nd, I would assume that Microsoft would carry over any achievements and score over to the next console since Xbox Live is connected to your gamer tag. Nobody likes to start over and if they lose all their hard work and points you can surely bet that a lot of gamers will quit Microsoft because nobody wants to think they wasted all these years achieving their gamerscore.
My sentiments exactly - the whole purpose of this thread was to find out what everybody else felt on the subject at hand. I was just offering the concept of two options. And you're right - nobody likes to start over.

All these threads talking about the next console makes me think current 360 owners are getting worried that their console may not hold up for another 3 years....Microsoft has no plans on releasing any new consoles till 2012. This is in the latest GameInformer.
Well, that's good. :)

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sony Pizza, post: 0]What the hell are you talking about? :shock: I know what you mean, but it just doesn't make sense - it would be just a name. [/quote]

No its not just a name. There was a meaning behind the name Xbox 360. Microsoft uses different names for everything, all of them have a meaning behind it. 360 was used to describe how the console reaches everyone around the world. 360 degrees. 720 would make no sense at all. Expect the next console to have a new name like Xbox Complete.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Lethal_NFS, post: 0]No its not just a name. There was a meaning behind the name Xbox 360. Microsoft uses different names for everything, all of them have a meaning behind it. 360 was used to describe how the console reaches everyone around the world. 360 degrees. 720 would make no sense at all. Expect the next console to have a new name like Xbox Complete.[/quote]

Actually, the Xbox 360 name was chosen to imply that the gamer is at the center of the Xbox experience.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xbox360.asp

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/612/612999p2.html

Sankari

Superior Member
May 16, 2005
Never really understood whats so good about gamerpoints. Achievements is good addition but when you are done and done with the game, will I miss the gamerpoints I got? Doubt it. If they offered some prices after hitting specific gamerpoint mark I'd understand.

I'm sure they will transfer but even if they do not, don't think you wasted anything unless playing games is work for you.