Xbox: Ask a question

A

Aspect

can someone link my to setting up my console in HD?

I got my 360 today and un of how to hook it up HD wise.

Ive got the HD AV cable and then sprouting from that are 1 bunch. red blue green and another bunch: solid red solid white and yellow

ive got 3 exit terminal on my tv. Left and right audio coded white and red respectively.

then yellow video.

heres a rough pic.

Any hep would be appreciated.

Jan 15, 2007
Well unless your TV is HD capable you wont be able to use the 360 in HD mode, only standard TV.

To use the HD cable in HD mode you would need three inputs coloured, Red Blue Green, that's you HD component inputs.

Second HD input would be a HDMI slot.

If your TV only has Red, whit and Blue, then you just connect the coloured connectors on your 360 cable to their exact same colour on your TV, and away you go.

But if you don't have any connections on your TV coloured Blue,red,green or a HDMI slot then you TV is not HD, and you will have to connect it via the Red, White and Yellow connectors, which are your standard TV connections.

Just out of curiosity how old is your TV.

Jan 15, 2007
Well its does say its got component connections so they must be somewhere on the TV, make sure they are not hidden inside some compartment on the side, back or front, underneath the edges of the TV............But they must be there somewhere, you just need to find them.....Oh and once you do remember to move the little switch on the big thick connector of your HD cables to HD.

Oh and nice TV, its got 1080p, your in for a treat.

OK i have had a look at the sharp website, go and check behind the TV and the very bottom, there should be a bit with 2 scart sockets and next to them should be the composite connections, there should be five round inputs, Blue, Green, red and two for the sound, those two will be a fully white one and fully red one in colour.

Let us know how you get on.

A

Aspect

Thanks. :)

Cheers for the help so far.

I know exactly where you mean mate, but all i have is the red/white/yellow. then red/white.

I think it could be because its a UK/EU version? (Im a Brit)

In any case Ive ordered a HDMI cable off fleabay.

Jan 15, 2007
Well m8 i just found your TVs service manual on the Sharp website and unfortunately component is not a feature of that particular model, but all is not lost, it says the TV comes with a 3 RCA to 15-pin D-sub adapter(supplied), which will allow you to plug your 3 HD cable ends into a this adapter which you then plug into the VGA port...The one that looks like the one on your PC monitor.....That will allow you full HD fun.

Anyway i hope that helps, and can i just say if your going to get a HDMI cable can i suggest you don't get a cheap ass one, i have had a few and until i tried the Bros actual MS HDMI cable i was unaware of just how much richer and sharper that cable was over my cheap ass efforts..

Anyway hope that helps, and enjoy your gaming.

A

Aspect

Ah I see.

Well Ill ask my dad (he'll know where all the bits and bobs are) and see if he's got it!

****, just ordered one from ebay last night! Ah well, fiva out of pocket isnt everything!

Thanks for the advice mate :)

A

Aspect

Sorry have to post again!

Found what you were on about mate! Sorted it out and set it up in HD 1080i. Looks so much better in the xbox360 main menu.

The only problem now is I havent got sound.... Plugged the red to red and white to white on audio inputs = NOTHING

and the same again for the output = No joy.

Any more ideas? Youve been a star so far mate!

Jan 15, 2007
I sent yo a PM, but just to reiterate, you also need to plug the Red and White cables in to the red and white connections on your TV, these are to twp cables that carry the sound, so all in you should have 3 cables connected to your VGA and two connected to your sound in...

Oh and make sure you use the very bottom red and white connections, that's your audio in connections...

Oh and bump that baby up to 1080p, that's the top setting you can have...then sit back and watch as your dad hogs the TV for the rest of the night.........i know i did....Hog the TV that is... :lol:

A

Aspect

haha I know mate.... off topic but whats the difference from 1080p to 1080i?

Also as said in PM.

HD on exit 4 (analog vga pin) then sound on exit 3 (composites)

Any way of merging them?

Exit 4 have r/l audio, but its a 3.5mm slot.... any chance of a converter?

This TV aint hard enough to get working right haha!

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Aspect, post: 0]haha I know mate.... off topic but whats the difference from 1080p to 1080i?

Also as said in PM.

HD on exit 4 (analog vga pin) then sound on exit 3 (composites)

Any way of merging them?

Exit 4 have r/l audio, but its a 3.5mm slot.... any chance of a converter?

This TV aint hard enough to get working right haha![/quote]

I just checked the manual for this TV and it does seem they don't ship it will a cable that will allow you to change your two 360 audio cables into a 3/5 jack, which is what is needed here.....

Couple of options here..
Nip out to Comet/PC world and get one, these type of connections are very cheap.

Or if you have a surround sound system you can plug the two audio sockets into that and you will get 2.1 surround sound.

Or just use the standard TV for the time being until your get your HDMI cable, that does both sound and Picture..

Oh and if your TV can do 1080p then that the highest resolution you can get, finer colours and sharper picture....1080p is the way to go .

A

Aspect

Cheers fella, more rep to come hehe.

Any chance of a link/picture of what Im looking to buy? Ive had a quick google search but nothing seems to look like what I presume Im after.

Hmmm feeling a trip to comet right now!

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Aspect, post: 0]Cheers fella, more rep to come hehe.

Any chance of a link/picture of what Im looking to buy? Ive had a quick google search but nothing seems to look like what I presume Im after.

Hmmm feeling a trip to comet right now![/quote]

Here it is....As long as the end connections are like this ,the lenth of the cable itself does not matter.

Should only cost a few quid, also Asda and tesco sell these type of cables and they would be far cheaper then comet.....Remember just a few quid, don't go buying £50 monster brand name cables, as you already have a HDMI cable on the way and you will be using that when you get it.

Good luck.

A

Aspect

*RANT* Went to Comet, no luck they dont sell it, then curry's - no luck. Went to asda (to check and to get some hair gel) - nope they dont sell them! Looks like Ill have to wait for my HDMI cable.... Hope its not too crap! But I spose you get what you pay for. Ill keep you updated mate

Jan 15, 2007
I cant believe all those place never had any....ain't it just like it, you don't need the cables and you walk by them every week in the store, the moment you need one they don't have any..

As for HDMI that's the best type of connection you can get, at least you can play it in standard definition until your cable comes though..and then ramp that 360 right up to 1080p and watch you eyes melt with all that HD loveliness.

A

Aspect

Got the HDMI today.

Absolutely adore it. Looks so mint!

Also had a cheeky play online *COD4* - Had to run an ethernet lead upstairs haha!

That game is supreme online. My gamertag is Asp3ct if anyones interested!

Final thing to say is many thanks to EncoreEncore and many thanks to MS for this stunning console!

Oct 5, 2007
I just have a quick question. I only got my 360 a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering, is there any way to delete a game off of the played games list? I have this arcade demo that's there and I want to get rid of it. I've played other demos since and they don't show up. I'm guessing it can't be done, but any help would be appreciated.

Abooie

Apprentice
Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Pompeii_Magnus, post: 0]I just have a quick question. I only got my 360 a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering, is there any way to delete a game off of the played games list? I have this arcade demo that's there and I want to get rid of it. I've played other demos since and they don't show up. I'm guessing it can't be done, but any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Nope, sorry, you're stuck with them (I have a few too).
MS have made a change though that any arcade trial tried after the fall update (the one just gone) won't show though (this applies to all titles; old and new). Also a patch is applied to any existing trial game which means they won't move up your games played list should you try them again.

Oct 5, 2007
[QUOTE="Abooie, post: 0]Nope, sorry, you're stuck with them (I have a few too).
MS have made a change though that any arcade trial tried after the fall update (the one just gone) won't show though (this applies to all titles; old and new). Also a patch is applied to any existing trial game which means they won't move up your games played list should you try them again.[/quote]

I thought so. Cheers for the help anway lad. +rep for you.

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
Ok, I am thinking about getting an Xbox360 (again), and I have some questions:

- In order to play online, what equipment would I need to have? (HD, MC,ect,.)
- Do I need a Memory Card for game saves? Or could I save my games like on the original Xbox?

I usually shift my decision as to which console I am getting every couple'a weeks. Christmas is vastly approaching, and I need to make the right decision.

Dax

Superior Member
Aug 1, 2007
To play online:
If you want to download additional maps, trailers, demos, stuff like that, then a hard drive is absolutely necessary.
50 bucks to pay, of course.
Broadband internet access.
Do you have a modem, router, or both?

For game saves:
If you get the Xbox 360 with the hard drive, you will not need a memory card to save your games.

Dax

Superior Member
Aug 1, 2007
[QUOTE="Blu-Ray, post: 0]So, the hard drive cost $50? Sweet...
Thanks for your help. Rep+
AND KEEP MY THREAD ALIVE![/quote]
No! That is not what I meant, sorry. If you buy the Xbox 360 Premium, that includes the hard drive plus 2 free games.

The hard drive itself will cost $100 if you get the arcade pack (which doesn't include the hard drive). All the other SKUs do have the hard drive. To play multiplayer games on Xbox Live, that costs 50 bucks a year.

Are you debating whether or not to get a PS3 over an Xbox 360?
Read this article right here. They seem fairly unbiased and give a good comparison between the two. Sorry I confused you, I should have been more clear.

K

kaizoku roof

Yo this is a questions thread right? Anyways. Anyone got a Halo 3 clan i could join? I made one myself although its kinda lacking. My clans name is The pirates :D original no? anyways im aight at the game if anyone has one so could you send me a messsage or something or add me on xbox live. my gamertag is kaizoku roof. Cheers peoples and have a good christmas all;P

Nov 13, 2006
Hey guys, im just wondering if its a good time to buy a xbox 360 right now? Ive been thinking about buying one but was hesitant because of all the Red Ring of Death ive been hearing about.. Are there new models out yet? and do they still get the RROD? Thanks.

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
I think that the newer models within the past couple of months have been "fixed" of the overheating problem, so I would say yes, it is a good time to buy it with all the great games that released for it.

Nov 13, 2006
Which system would you recommend buying? Arcade,core,elite,premium..etc.?

There is a deal at gamestop for $430.00 .. its the Xbox360 Arcade + a Zune player.(My gf wants one). Is this deal good?