Xbox: Ask a question

EyeSight

Superior Member
Aug 27, 2007
my 360 broke just now (the disc tray won't close) and from what i've read the extended warranty only works with the red ring of death. but i have 3 weeks left on my original year long warranty, only i can't find my receipt. so my question is, do i need my receipt to send it off to get fixed for free? i have everything else that came with the console

carocat

Community Manager
May 25, 2006
carocat.co.uk
If it's within the year I'd always try returning it to the retailer. When you bought your 360 did you use a store reward card, like the GAME card or something? Or did you pay via credit/debit card?

As long as you know the rough date you can get them to narrow it down with the reward card or look up the transaction details, like number, price, location, date, time in your account statements.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
OK, I've established that it is the 3 RROD, I've sent the repair request to MS and gotten an online label to print off. Does Microsoft send a box to put it in? I've heard that they do and I seen it metnioned once on the website but it may not apply to the UK. Do i have to get my own box?

carocat

Community Manager
May 25, 2006
carocat.co.uk
Apparently they don't any more in the UK, no and I also remember someone saying that they don't like it when it's in the box it originally came with.

Might be worth giving them a call?

Although regardless if you've already contacted them or not, but I think it's always worth it returning them to the retailer. There is a high chance that a high street retailer will replace it if you've got some kind of proof of purchase, regardless if you're still covered with the warranty or not.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
[QUOTE="carocat, post: 0]Apparently they don't any more in the UK, no and I also remember someone saying that they don't like it when it's in the box it originally came with.

Might be worth giving them a call?

Although regardless if you've already contacted them or not, but I think it's always worth it returning them to the retailer. There is a high chance that a high street retailer will replace it if you've got some kind of proof of purchase, regardless if you're still covered with the warranty or not.[/QUOTE]

I can't do that, I got mine off eBay and it didn't come with a receipt. I'll give them a call later.

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Zoibie, post: 0]OK, I've established that it is the 3 RROD, I've sent the repair request to MS and gotten an online label to print off. Does Microsoft send a box to put it in? I've heard that they do and I seen it metnioned once on the website but it may not apply to the UK. Do i have to get my own box?[/quote]

No they don't send you a box, you need to get one yourself, any box will do,(but not the original retail 360 box) ,only pack in your 360(no faceplate/HD or anything else)....if you have bubble wrap then pack the 360 in that, if not then pack it in some old news papers.....then print your label and stick it to the box with clear sellotape.....then call UPS for a pick up day.....

That's it.

Oh and remember to also print of the receipt that also came in that email....that also has the tracking number so you can track it via the USP website.

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="EyeSight, post: 0]my 360 broke just now (the disc tray won't close) and from what i've read the extended warranty only works with the red ring of death. but i have 3 weeks left on my original year long warranty, only i can't find my receipt. so my question is, do i need my receipt to send it off to get fixed for free? i have everything else that came with the console[/quote]

Give MS a phone and see if your still your original 12 month warranty, that's the only way you are going to know for sure.

MS 360 support :0800 587 1102

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If MS can't or won't cover you on your eBay X360 there's always going to a shop to repair it, 9 times out of 10 they'll do the same job or better than MS.

There's also another method which is new but seemingly working.

Check this out : http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47436

If you are confident to tackle this yourself then check this out : http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=599216

I see you're from the UK : http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=588032&st=120#

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
[QUOTE="EncoreEncore, post: 0]No they don't send you a box, you need to get one yourself, any box will do,(but not the original retail 360 box) ,only pack in your 360(no faceplate/HD or anything else)....if you have bubble wrap then pack the 360 in that, if not then pack it in some old news papers.....then print your label and stick it to the box with clear sellotape.....then call UPS for a pick up day.....

That's it.

Oh and remember to also print of the receipt that also came in that email....that also has the tracking number so you can track it via the USP website.[/QUOTE]

Do I have to put the receipt in the box as well?

@A7MAD: just out of interest, someone on the third link said "anyone with the x-clamp is bound to get the RROD at some point", what's an x-clamp?

also +rep for everyone who has helped me so far ;)

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="Zoibie, post: 0]Do I have to put the receipt in the box as well?

@A7MAD: just out of interest, someone on the third link said "anyone with the x-clamp is bound to get the RROD at some point", what's an x-clamp?

also +rep for everyone who has helped me so far ;)[/quote]

No, nothing in the box but the 360 and some packing paper to stop it getting bashed about.

A7

Supreme Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE="Zoibie, post: 0]@A7MAD: just out of interest, someone on the third link said "anyone with the x-clamp is bound to get the RROD at some point", what's an x-clamp?

also +rep for everyone who has helped me so far ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the +rep :)

As for your question concerning the X-Clamp check the picture.

EyeSight

Superior Member
Aug 27, 2007
hey guys, 2 quick questions, i rang microsoft and arranged for them to fix my 360 disc tray, then while playing xbox live ardace games i got the ring of death, i emailed them instead of ringing again (i'm in Ireland and pretty sure it costs me lots of money to ring) asking them to include the red ring of death to the things to fix and they just emailed back saying they need more time to reply to me and i should contact customer support. this confused me because it was customer service i emailed! should i just send it off anyway and assume they'll fix the ring of death?

also i can't find any box to fit the thing into to send it off, any suggestions on what any of you guys used? the only box i have for it to fit in is the PS3 box, but i doubt they'd like that