Xbox Fans Are DYING To Celebrate A Masterpiece. Phil Spencer chimes in.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
You can't compare the Wii to the PS4. The core problem with the Wii was different; it had one part covered (the sales) but lacked in other areas.
There is no console that is not lacking in areas. Where is a top quality shooter from Sony? Top quality racing game?

What defines the Playstation is God of War, Uncharted, Horizon Zero dawn, Bloodborne. Story driven third person action adventure games.

The Xbox is defined by Halo, Gears of War, FH and FM. First person, third person shooter, sim and arcade racers and they are some of the best in their class. Add to that a title like Sunset Overdrive.

Each console has it strengths, each has its weaknesses....and MS isnt doing as well because they messed up launch and had some weird strategy that deviated from what they did so well early last gen. So sales have never and will never define how good a console is.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
So sales have never and will never define how good a console is.
Sure, only because the Xbox is not selling as well. It's the only thing you can say at this point. Yes, all consoles lack in something. Clearly some consoles lack more than others.......

What Microsoft did years ago does not result in why there is a lack of quality exclusive titles.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
"So sales have never and will never define how good a console is." Can't say that I agree. It's the games at the end of the day that will make or break a console. With that being kept in mind, a console that sales significantly less units than its competition may not get the same offers as whatever console is running in 1st place sale wise. We've already seen in this in multiple formats, rather that be early demos, limited timed exclusives, specific console DLC that the other console does not make up for in some fashion, and etc. An unbiased and unswayed company from a business aspect is more likely to just swing toward the console that is doing better sales wise...because well it'd make it easier on them to make a profit on whatever IP they wanted to do if they choose to only go with one platform.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
"So sales have never and will never define how good a console is." Can't say that I agree. It's the games at the end of the day that will make or break a console. With that being kept in mind, a console that sales significantly less units than its competition may not get the same offers as whatever console is running in 1st place sale wise. We've already seen in this in multiple formats, rather that be early demos, limited timed exclusives, specific console DLC that the other console does not make up for in some fashion, and etc. An unbiased and unswayed company from a business aspect is more likely to just swing toward the console that is doing better sales wise...because well it'd make it easier on them to make a profit on whatever IP they wanted to do if they choose to only go with one platform.
The only area that Microsoft is missing out on is in mainly Japanese developed games. Something I pointed out in either another post or this post (cannot quite remember). There has been a push especially this E3 to see more games coming to the platform from developers in that part of the world. It would not make a dent in sales, but it would slightly improve the offering on the console.

It was also put in context of where exclusives are and how well they are doing. Sony has not blown Microsoft out of the water by sheer amount of exclusives they put out year on year. Where they got MS was they had a cheaper console at launch that was better equipped, plus they did not have a DRM issue to deal with. These were what they capitalized on (as any good business would) and it is what has translated in sales.

This is one area, combined with the Wii where a great selling console literally does not have a corresponding dominance in quality games. The last time games and console sales were both dominant on a platform was in Sony's first two generations.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Sales aside, you can not deny that the Xbox is lacking in quality exclusive titles compared to the Switch and PS4. The list I provided with Metacritic scores shows this. Only a single exclusive title on the XB1 reached higher than a 90.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Sales aside, you can not deny that the Xbox is lacking in quality exclusive titles compared to the Switch and PS4. The list I provided with Metacritic scores shows this. Only a single exclusive title on the XB1 reached higher than a 90.
To what fits you preference, yes.

Those same standards do not apply to everyone, like me. My standard is and has always been IGN, and by their metric they are doing better, just lacking diversity.

Edit: Maybe I need to make this clear. I would never rate aggregated scores from sources I never read, some mighty high, and some mighty low.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
The ps3 had a tougher start than the xbone. It didn't get outsold 2:1 by the 360.

You xbox guys claim ms has all the advantages but yet they are getting destroyed. They can't even keep up with the sales of the ps3. They'll be lucky to hit 55m before the next generation starts.

May 20, 2008
The ps3 had a tougher start than the xbone. It didn't get outsold 2:1 by the 360.

You xbox guys claim ms has all the advantages but yet they are getting destroyed. They can't even keep up with the sales of the ps3. They'll be lucky to hit 55m before the next generation starts.
who made the claim that ms has all the advantages? I do believe we’ve stated that ms lacks 1p single player experiences compared to Sony.

Jun 4, 2007
who made the claim that ms has all the advantages? I do believe we’ve stated that ms lacks 1p single player experiences compared to Sony.
You all sound silly as fuck saying that too. EXCLUSIVES. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. 1st or 2nd party(y). Just because halo or gears has multiplayer doesn't take away that they are story driven titles also. They just suck ass keeping up with the bar that's been set in story driven titles. Add Quantum Break to that list too.

1st party single player titles is not why Sony is standing up with both feet in MS ass in sales. You guys know why but don't want to admit the facts. Stop saying drm and 2013 too. Sales were neck and neck at launch. Then shit got real and MS stopped reporting figures lol. Why didn't those sales keep up since you guys love claiming PS4 had no worthy exclusives? lol acting like ryse and dead rising set the world on fire. You guys are truly silly.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
You all sound silly as fuck saying that too. EXCLUSIVES. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. 1st or 2nd party(y). Just because halo or gears has multiplayer doesn't take away that they are story driven titles also. They just suck ass keeping up with the bar that's been set in story driven titles. Add Quantum Break to that list too.

1st party single player titles is not why Sony is standing up with both feet in MS ass in sales. You guys know why but don't want to admit the facts. Stop saying drm and 2013 too. Sales were neck and neck at launch. Then shit got real and MS stopped reporting figures lol. Why didn't those sales keep up since you guys love claiming PS4 had no worthy exclusives? lol acting like ryse and dead rising set the world on fire. You guys are truly silly.
This is the type of character we have to deal with here. This guy was waxing lyrical about wanting a sequel to The Order: 1886 is busy trashing games that did way better than it.

Also do not know why you keep talking the business side of things. Hardcore gamers will always buy a console when it launches; there are people that have supported both consoles for ages who will get it regardless of what is on offer. Sony has sold 100M three generations is a row, MS will sell at least 60 million or so by the time this generation is over an they are no longer making any Xbox One consoles.

Sony has the numbers to always fall back on, and they have a Japanese market that Microsoft will always struggle to tap into.

Jun 4, 2007
Also do not know why you keep talking the business side of things. Hardcore gamers will always buy a console when it launches; there are people that have supported both consoles for ages who will get it regardless of what is on offer. Sony has sold 100M three generations is a row, MS will sell at least 60 million or so by the time this generation is over an they are no longer making any Xbox One consoles.

Sony has the numbers to always fall back on, and they have a Japanese market that Microsoft will always struggle to tap into.
You don't know a lot of things. That's not shocking. And why are you lying? The ps3 did not sell 100+m. You are trying to paint this picture to work in MS favor as far as expectations with these xbone sales. The ps3 and 360 sales were basically tied. A few 100k sales give or take based on the last leaked figures we got from Sony.

You've shown to lack commonsense in various post so let me make it simple for you. Previous generations don't bring 100% loyalty when buying the next gen console. You can't use that excuse for the simple fact that the WiiU flopped. The ps3 didn't sell over 100m and the xbone struggled to cross the 40m sales line.

The Japanese market is not why the PS4 is stomping the xbone beneath the surface. It's much more than that and you xbone guys know exactly why. You're just in denial and you don't like the tone of how I word these things. I don't care. The JP market helps but it's nowhere near as big as you xbox guys pretend it to be. Their exclusives don't always sell in the millions but there's a market for them and they get sequels because they're obviously budgeting properly.

6.86m ps4's in JP
96.9k xbone in JP

That's not a typo. The PS4 is outselling the xbone 2:1 worldwide. The xbox is down like 2 to 3 mil in NA. I'm not exactly sure about UK(MS 2nd strongest market). Like I said, it's much bigger than JP and exclusive single player story driven games.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
We can simplify everything really quickly here.

The Xbox One X is a really good console. No doubt about it. It is better than the PS4 Pro. That is a fact.
Personally I like the simplified PS4 OS over the convoluted Xbox OS.
Xbox has a better cloud saving service and a fantastic PC Xbox app.
PS4 has VR and better exclusive titles.
Xbox has better racing titles. Seriously, Gran Turismo can not compete with Forza. No racer can.

Sony just has those killer exclusive IPs though. The games sell consoles. The console with the best games usually sells the most. I would like to know how well the Xbox One X is selling compared to the PS4 Pro over the last 6 months. I think that would say a lot.

May 20, 2008
This is the type of character we have to deal with here. This guy was waxing lyrical about wanting a sequel to The Order: 1886 is busy trashing games that did way better than it.

Which is one reason why they didn’t launch PS4 there first.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
You don't know a lot of things. That's not shocking. And why are you lying? The ps3 did not sell 100+m. You are trying to paint this picture to work in MS favor as far as expectations with these xbone sales. The ps3 and 360 sales were basically tied. A few 100k sales give or take based on the last leaked figures we got from Sony.

You've shown to lack commonsense in various post so let me make it simple for you. Previous generations don't bring 100% loyalty when buying the next gen console. You can't use that excuse for the simple fact that the WiiU flopped. The ps3 didn't sell over 100m and the xbone struggled to cross the 40m sales line.

The Japanese market is not why the PS4 is stomping the xbone beneath the surface. It's much more than that and you xbone guys know exactly why. You're just in denial and you don't like the tone of how I word these things. I don't care. The JP market helps but it's nowhere near as big as you xbox guys pretend it to be. Their exclusives don't always sell in the millions but there's a market for them and they get sequels because they're obviously budgeting properly.

6.86m ps4's in JP
96.9k xbone in JP

That's not a typo. The PS4 is outselling the xbone 2:1 worldwide. The xbox is down like 2 to 3 mil in NA. I'm not exactly sure about UK(MS 2nd strongest market). Like I said, it's much bigger than JP and exclusive single player story driven games.
You really have no history of the game business.

The only reason Sony did not blow away the competition last generation was they leveraged their playstation business to get blu ray out. They had an expensive system that was not selling well, not easy to develop for and one of the fastest price cuts in gaming history.

Sony has the market control in Japan, Asia and most of Europe. If you are ever in some of the nations that have a good gaming population in Africa, you will find that to be the case too.

For Microsoft to succeed last generation, or even come close to it, they had to launch first, had to have a better pricing model, early on had better third party games on their console, timed exclusives and hit the industry with a three year warranty to take care of RRoD.

For MS to compete, they would have to have a wide margin in North America to make up for sales elsewhere and that simply is not happening. This is why I believe that they are right in betting big on game pass and services because I doubt that they have what it takes to get Sony off the top.

Nintendo tapped onto something popular with the Wii, and it did not translate into the WiiU, they have tapped onto something new and fresh with the Switch, but they are always a step or so behind on launch, thus sales always overlap

Jun 4, 2007
You really have no history of the game business.
:poop:
I know more than you though. I know enough to shut down your bullshit theories. I proved you wrong. Move the fuck on. I even corrected your post. I don't need to have you repeat to me how MS was able to compete or any of your other shit in your post.

You're talking about Sony having the Markets on locked. You're either ignorant or purposely not talking about the true reason why Sony dominates. Repeat after me. REPUTATION. REPUTATION. REPUTATION. REPUTATION. REPUTATION. That's the only thing these companies bring into a next generation with them.

Now lets see IF you can not talk out your ass and describe Sony's reputation that they've shown from PS1 to PS4. I know you're going to respond with a dumbass answer. Diverse exclusives is Sony's reputation. Describe MS's reputation. Forza, Halo, Gears, services. I did that for you too. I know you don't want to hear it but that's what MS will go into next generation with the same tired reputation they had from the end of the 360 era. That's how the people feel. Your personal opinion don't matter. You're a fool if you think Metacritic scores don't outweight IGN scores to the public. Halo and Gears could be selling a hell of a lot more if they crack the 90+ range. That's a problem MS needs to handle outside of Forza Horzion.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Wow, this thread sucks.
Sucking is what MS put out in 2017 and 2018. The worst years in Xbone history lmao. Why don't you go make a forza Horizion 4 thread. That's the best thing you guys have had to talk about since last year's Forza. I just gave you a great idea. You don't even have to thank me or give credit. You're welcome.(y)

Want to take a bet on the next time Phil will lie or make himself look like a dumbass?

H

Hedon

Sucking is what MS put out in 2017 and 2018. The worst years in Xbone history lmao. Why don't you go make a forza Horizion 4 thread. That's the best thing you guys have had to talk about since last year's Forza. I just gave you a great idea. You don't even have to thank me or give credit. You're welcome.(y)

Want to take a bet on the next time Phil will lie or make himself look like a dumbass?
What do you mean by you guys? I love my PS and my Xbox. So if anything, I would go make a Ghosts of Tsushima and Forza Horizon 4 thread. I just said this thread sucks because all you guys are doing is arguing and throwing insults at each other.

Think before you post next time.

Jun 4, 2007
What do you mean by you guys? I love my PS and my Xbox. So if anything, I would go make a Ghosts of Tsushima and Forza Horizon 4 thread. I just said this thread sucks because all you guys are doing is arguing and throwing insults at each other.

Think before you post next time.
Yeah, you guys includes you. You sure do 'like' those post that throws insults. I see through it. You're not kidding anyone.

Anyways, I'm pretty much done with this thread. Everything has come back full circle to Sony having huge sales due to reputation. Reputation earned from their diverse quality exclusives. A reputation that MS is not known for.

Last edited:
H

Hedon

Yeah, you guys includes you. You sure do 'like' those post that throws insults. I see through it. You're not kidding anyone.

Anyways, I'm pretty much done with this thread. Everything has come back full circle to Sony having huge sales due to reputation. Reputation earned from their diverse quality exclusives. A reputation that MS is not known for.
Not sure what you are talking about. But I am not "you guys", so I am asking you to stop saying that. I don't care about or for either company, I just enjoy gaming on my PS and Xbox.

Thank you.

Jun 4, 2007
Not sure what you are talking about. But I am not "you guys", so I am asking you to stop saying that. I don't care about or for either company, I just enjoy gaming on my PS and Xbox.

Thank you.
When you click 'like" on mutilple post where xbox fans are throwing their insults, in multiple threads, then that groups you in with them. You guys. Did that go over your head? Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Are you still not sure of your actions lol? I'm just pointing something out. It's not that I really give a fuck what you guys think of me. I would post entirely different if I did.

Sorry not sorry.

H

Hedon

When you click 'like" on mutilple post where xbox fans are throwing their insults, in multiple threads, then that groups you in with them. You guys. Did that go over your head? Is that too hard for you to comprehend? Are you still not sure of your actions lol? I'm just pointing something out. It's not that I really give a fuck what you guys think of me. I would post entirely different if I did.

Sorry not sorry.
I just went through where I liked any posts, and not a single post had me liking any insults. I am against insults and refuse to insult others, so there is no way I would approve of such a thing.

I am not "you guys". Please stop saying that. I just enjoy gaming, and I hate insults and just want to enjoy all my games on all my platforms. For me, I find gaming better being able to enjoy everything available to me. So there is no "you guys" with me.

Last time I ask. Thank you.

May 20, 2008
I just went through where I liked any posts, and not a single post had me liking any insults. I am against insults and refuse to insult others, so there is no way I would approve of such a thing.

I am not "you guys". Please stop saying that. I just enjoy gaming, and I hate insults and just want to enjoy all my games on all my platforms. For me, I find gaming better being able to enjoy everything available to me. So there is no "you guys" with me.

IMO, this place needs more gamers like you. The bitterness towards you is uncalled for. You are right, the thread does suck. Unfortunately, what you see here is the norm for this section of the forum. I’m glad to see you enjoy playing on both consoles. Game on!

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Ya this thread is getting a little out of control. Lets not resort to insults please. We can argue and provide links and stats and share opinions, but lets not insult anyone.

Jun 4, 2007

My bad. I apologize.