XBOX Xbox is Playing for Tomorrow, but it's playing to win

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
"Microsoft’s E3 press briefing was the one we needed, the one we deserved, and arguably their best one ever. They came into E3 2018 with fan confidence, perhaps, at an all-time low. Sure, the Xbox One X is a fantastic piece of hardware, but less-than-glowing review scores for Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 did nothing to change the negative narrative surrounding the quality and especially quantity of Xbox’s first-party output. In unleashing 50 games total at E3 -- including 18 with exclusivity -- and five new first-party game studios, Phil Spencer and the Xbox team made it clear that while the current-generation battle with Sony may be lost -- at least in the hardware installed base department -- Microsoft is playing for the next round and they’re playing to win. "

Continue reading...

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
"Microsoft’s E3 press briefing was the one we needed, the one we deserved, and arguably their best one ever. They came into E3 2018 with fan confidence, perhaps, at an all-time low. Sure, the Xbox One X is a fantastic piece of hardware, but less-than-glowing review scores for Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 did nothing to change the negative narrative surrounding the quality and especially quantity of Xbox’s first-party output. In unleashing 50 games total at E3 -- including 18 with exclusivity -- and five new first-party game studios, Phil Spencer and the Xbox team made it clear that while the current-generation battle with Sony may be lost -- at least in the hardware installed base department -- Microsoft is playing for the next round and they’re playing to win. "

Continue reading...
On the Xbox forum, I thought that the soonest we would see a new console would be 2020, and it is something that I now think will be the case.

One of the worst things that happened with this division of Microsoft was Don Mattrick and how he ran the division as pertains games and first party studios. Microsoft similarly choosing to downsize, and downsize fast is something that left them thin this generation.

i like what they have done, and what they are committed to doing when it comes to increasing their first party offering. If this were the last generation, especially the tail end of it, you would have seen them invest in short term fixes. But they are back to playing the long game. If they indeed are planning a console launch for 2020, then I would want them to go hard and launch not only with Halo, but delay anything Turn 10 is working on to target that launch.

Playground is good with racers, so why not have them do something different like Rallisport Challenge 3? This is something that I really hope they will pursue going forward.

This article by Guardian was something that also caught my attention earlier today.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...maker-suggest-streaming-will-replace-consoles

What I love about Phil Spencer's approach is how honest he has been. Even when he was being asked about more games on Twitter, he never hid. He always said that these things take time, and that there was a commitment to go on a rectify that. Purchasing some of the studios goes a long way in trying to sort that out, hopefully they hit the ground running with some quality titles.

Jun 4, 2007
Next gen will be very interesting for sure. Actions speak louder than words. MS seems to finally get that. Now it's time to show and prove with these new games(which of course takes time). I'm not expecting all to be "masterpieces" because that's simply unrealistic but I do expect good games with interesting lore that'll make me want a sequel.

Putting out sequels is another issue that MS need to solve. Forza, halo and gears got support. Everthing else one and done in the AAA department. This has been a problem that started in the 360 era.

Once they get solve those issues then I'm completely sold with the next box.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Next gen will be very interesting for sure. Actions speak louder than words. MS seems to finally get that. Now it's time to show and prove with these new games(which of course takes time). I'm not expecting all to be "masterpieces" because that's simply unrealistic but I do expect good games with interesting lore that'll make me want a sequel.

Putting out sequels is another issue that MS need to solve. Forza, halo and gears got support. Everthing else one and done in the AAA department. This has been a problem that started in the 360 era.

Once they get solve those issues then I'm completely sold with the next box.
Robbie Bach and Shane Kim did so much for the Xbox 360 especially on the software side before Don Mattrick was brought in by Robbie Bach. The biggest issue I had with him was that they just never followed up with anything; if something was not a home run in terms of sales then they did not bother. Sometimes you need games that get a good review (around 75%-80%) with good sales to have another shot.

I would have loved to see them try expanding on Too Human (before the Silicon Knights debacle), I still wonder why games like Kameo, Rallisport Challenge, Perfect Dark (although it is rumored they are working on this), or even Alan Wake have not been in consideration. This generation they maybe should have partnered with Insomniac once again on a continuation to Sunset Overdrive. They then put in little effort outside Scalebound to try and get some Japanese RPG's, something that they did last generation with Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and even getting other publishers to support the console regardless of sales in Japan.

I don't think that anyone believes that all these developers will have top tier games. In The Coalition, 343i, Playground, Turn 10 they have studios that have a track record of getting it right. If The Initiative is able to attract quality talent in Santa Monica, then there is hope that they can in three or four years deliver something that is quality given who is heading the studio. I have high hopes that Ninja Theory puts out a quality game. I also hope that Rare goes back into developing single player titles, Perfect Dark Zero was a good launch title, Kameo was quality. Build on that and see what happens.

Dec 20, 2006
It's a good effort, these acquisitions, but they need to do a lot more if they are trying to win.

Of these five, only Ninja Theory was an impressive purchase, seeing as there was no indication of it before, and their only other exclusive title before was a Sony game (heavenly sword). Playground Games doesn't even feel like an acquisition, as they've only ever made Forza Horizon games, which is MS' IP in the first place.

I'm sure they will get better, but with news of Sony also majorly upping first party investments, I don't think they'll make up any real ground. Especially with Sony's China Hero Project initiatives. So many up and coming developers in China that are potential new studios for the making.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
It's a good effort, these acquisitions, but they need to do a lot more if they are trying to win.

Of these five, only Ninja Theory was an impressive purchase, seeing as there was no indication of it before, and their only other exclusive title before was a Sony game (heavenly sword). Playground Games doesn't even feel like an acquisition, as they've only ever made Forza Horizon games, which is MS' IP in the first place.

I'm sure they will get better, but with news of Sony also majorly upping first party investments, I don't think they'll make up any real ground. Especially with Sony's China Hero Project initiatives. So many up and coming developers in China that are potential new studios for the making.
Ninja Theory also done Kung Fu Chaos for Xbox. The thing is with Microsoft is if they are willing lot of these developers invest into making new IPs rather than just making them doing the same stuff they brought these developers to do.

Least MS know that they need to work on first party rather than getting people annoyed of buying exclusives off third party developers.