Xbox One cloud updates may reboot your system mid-session.

Demi_God

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2013
Icy hot of the north
http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/06/xbox-one-cloud-feature-updates-may-reboot-your-console-mid-session-says-microsoft-exec/

Xbox One’s cloud framework will update on a regular basis and this could lead to the host system rebooting mid-session, according to Xbox Live lead program manager at Microsoft John Bruno.

Bruno hosted a presentation at GDC Next yesterday entitled “On Demand Compute: Power For Games,” and IGameResponsibly was apparently there to hear what he had to say.

During the session, Bruno said that cloud-based system Xbox Live Compute has been in development for 18 months and is derived from Windows Azure tech. He conceded that the tech initially received criticsm from publishers such as Ubisoft early on, but that Respawn Entertainment was an easier sell.

Now, the studio is using Xbox Live Compute to offload many facets of Titanfall’s online play to the cloud, such as NPC AI, an more.

Touching on the issue of the Xbox One’s cloud-based updates Bruno explained, “Once in a while, rather frequently actually, the host OS will require an update, meaning the physical machine is going to get rebooted, whether your code is running or not. That’s a problematic thing for a game, and is oftentimes is in the middle of a multiplayer session, we’ve worked very hard to overcome that, but that’s not to say it’s going to be a reality in every case.”

This could be very problematic indeed. The site pressed Bruno on this issue and asked how disruptive these updates will be given Titanfall’s status as an online-only release. They also asked him about the worst-case scenario of Microsoft’s cloud servers failing altogether.

He replied, “I can’t answer that. I don’t know what the guys over at Titanfall have built into their game. It’s up to the game developer. If they want to rely more on our XBLC service, we’re happy to support that. We do provide a platform for them to persist data, but that’s up to the developer to utilize that.”

It begs the question of Titanfall’s performance without the cloud. Will it still run without cloud servers?

What do you think?
Well, that could really suck. It just keeps getting worse for microsoft. I just don't see promise for this cloud system if this is one of the problems it's going to cause. The PS4 is looking better and better.

Why did I post this in the Vs. section? Because we already know sooner or later the PS4 is going to end up getting involved into this discussion, which reminds me.

Last edited:

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Will Titanfall run without cloud servers? Um, yes, it will run without that lol. Devs will need to implement the cloud usage according to how their game will need it. This basically says that if you implement persistent updates, then um, duh! Your game will reboot to apply the new data.

So no, this doesn't make it worse for Microsoft. It's basic common sense. The devs will need to address this. Either by not allowing persistent updates, or those updates not being applied until the game is manually restarted.

Demi_God

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2013
Icy hot of the north
“I don’t know what the guys over at Titanfall have built into their game. It’s up to the game developer. If they want to rely more on our XBLC service, we’re happy to support that. We do provide a platform for them to persist data, but that’s up to the developer to utilize that.”
They have an alternative. What I'm seeing here is this alternative is only effective if you're not relying on the cloud.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
The tools are there for them to use. They have to adjust how they interact with the cloud. It's not like the cloud automatically has to update the game that is using it. I think it's being taken out of context, or just not explained thoroughly enough. Forza will be using the tools for the cloud. Does that mean we are constantly going to loose our game due to persistent reboots?? Of course not. Same with Titanfall.

It isn't two options: Use the cloud and your game reboots while being played; or don't use the cloud at all. Those aren't the only two options available within that toolset.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
This is just the servers hosting the game updating and rebooting NOT your game system rebooting.
No doubt when you logged into your xbone your game would have already got the update in much the same way Steam does.
Most of the time they will find the least busiest time to apply the updates to the servers just like EA/DICE do with Battlefield.

No doubt MS has backup and not got everything in one data centre like what Valve had when the storms cut out electricity in Washington for a day or so a few years ago.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Like Fear said, it looks like it's up to the developer. Hopefully they're all competent enough to exclude this 'feature'. Any team that doesn't will get its justified backlash when an update boots off a couple hundred thousand players.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Why wouldn't they just allow in the OS to change the option to prompt you with an update. That way of you don't want it to happen in the middle of gaming you can choose to decline. Kind of silly to leave it up to the dev. Much like Windows updates has the option to ask you if you want to update or not. Hell make it as a notification that comes up and will not take action until you say so, that way it doesn't interrupt your gaming session at all. Much like when a friend logs in.

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
This is really a non-issue. Obviously posted just to annoy Xbox One owners. I'm sure this will happen in the middle of the night when only a few gamers will be effected. Hardly enough to get all uptight about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6236968]This is really a non-issue. Obviously posted just to annoy Xbox One owners. I'm sure this will happen in the middle of the night when only a few gamers will be effected. Hardly enough to get all uptight about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Middle of the night, based on what? Time zone? It's a non-issue because YOU are sure that this will happen in the middle of the night?

Well, heck, I guess it's a non-issue since it only affects a few people. Oh wait a minute.. if it actually affects someone, that makes it a pretty big ISSUE.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6236968]This is really a non-issue. Obviously posted just to annoy Xbox One owners. I'm sure this will happen in the middle of the night when only a few gamers will be effected. Hardly enough to get all uptight about.

Especially if you are even gonna buy xb1 in the first place. Its not a big deal. No different than a multiplayer server going down.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6237028]Especially if you are even gonna buy xb1 in the first place. Its not a big deal. No different than a multiplayer server going down.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's kinda a big deal for me, since I'll have an Xbox One. ;)

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008

That's a pretty loose definition of "non-issue".

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6237030]Well, it's kinda a big deal for me, since I'll have an Xbox One. ;)[/QUOTE]
When and if it happens it will be a big deal then. I'm not worried. xbl has been very reliable. If it were anyone else i probably would be concerned.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6237040]When and if it happens it will be a big deal then. I'm not worried. xbl has been very reliable. If it were anyone else i probably would be concerned.[/QUOTE]

Oh, same here. If it doesn't happen, then of course it's not an issue for me. That's kinda how I talked about it earlier in the thread. I don't think it's going to be the way it is described in the OP.