Xbox One X and PS4 Pro processors compared at the silicon level (the results are closer than you might think)

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
As a console gamer I just buy the best available for the best console experience. I am very very happy with my X1X and Pro. There are millions of console gamers that are not interested in PC stats, CPU, gpu. Just give me the best available consoles and I will play on them.
I really enjoy the power of a PC, but all the best games lately are console exclusives and they look amazing.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I do not think the Pro and One X are bad consoles at all. I am glad to have consoles that take advantage of my 4K TV. Home consoles will never match the PC in terms of performance because the PC is evolving constantly. So there will always be PC users complaining that the home consoles suck or whatever.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
No idea what on earth you're talking about. Someday, 4K @ 60 FPS will be the norm. What I said was I don't mind tricks being used to achieve "4K" until that time. Saying 4K @ 60 FPS will never happen no matter what generation is quite dumb, to be honest.
Has 60fps been the norm for any generation?

Nope.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Not letting truth get in the way of dreaming?

Good on you!

Stay positive.
Your silly response was not the truth and calling it the truth doesn't make it the truth. Graphical hardware continues to improve and has done so since graphics hardware was a thing. Saying that at no point in the future will 4K @ 60 FPS be the norm is just an ignorant and ridiculous statement and is quite honestly something I wouldn't expect you to say. This has nothing to do with a positive or negative attitude. It's a technical inevitability. :rolleyes:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
60fps is every developers goal. Maybe next gen all games will hit that mark at 4k resolution.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
60fps is every developers goal. Maybe next gen all games will hit that mark at 4k resolution.
All games hitting 60 FPS and 4K? No.

Developers know they can settle on a tolerable framerate (30 FPS) if it means they can get the most out of their game engine and console hardware trying to render the most impressive graphics.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Someday 8K will be the norm and you'll see how incredibly stupid this conversation is. Hardware is going to continue advancing as it always has. PCs will see it first ... then consoles. Look at what Microsoft has already achieved with the XBX. Forza is 4K @ 30 FPS and the PC version is 60 FPS. Hardware limitations will always be the limiting factor for consoles, but they always catch up eventually. This isn't some profound idea I've come up with ... that's just how computer hardware has worked for many decades now.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Someday 8K will be the norm and you'll see how incredibly stupid this conversation is. Hardware is going to continue advancing as it always has. PCs will see it first ... then consoles. Look at what Microsoft has already achieved with the XBX. Forza is 4K @ 30 FPS and the PC version is 60 FPS. Hardware limitations will always be the limiting factor for consoles, but they always catch up eventually. This isn't some profound idea I've come up with ... that's just how computer hardware has worked for many decades now.
You've counteracted your own argument .

Devs love pushing the envelope.
That's generally about how pretty their game can be.

That's why 60fps, no matter what resolution, is NEVER an industry priority.

If it was.

1/ Most games this gen would be 720p/60 or 1080p/60

2/ Most of our games would be 60fps.

Considering neither of these are true, there is little standing in favor of your argument.

Yes, one day 8k will be the norm, and well get most consoles games at 8k/30.
Even though they could target 4k/60 at that point.

Consoles have never "caught up eventually" when it comes to frame-rate.

Since when has 60fps been developers goal? You don't think they could hit 60fps in a the same game but less pretty?
Of course they could.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
To be honest, Brandon, I think the responses where you tell him to stop posting and his point isn't worth discussing are what's uncalled for.

Anyways, it's possible to see games with 4K and 60 FPS but less likely if you're also expecting those games to have the best possible graphics. The physics, A.I. and other game logic are probably a bigger priority for developers than achieving 60 FPS over 30 FPS.

Dec 16, 2006
In your urinary tract
I couldn't care less if it was made of Weetabix and shoe laces the X rocks.

My days of hw componentry and micro-benchmark debates are past me. I'd go back to PC gaming if that was still important to me. I'm all for the easy life nowadays.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
HD last generation was the target, this generation, the thought was that we would see more games hitting 1080p, but there was never an assurance that they would be hitting 60fps. We have had the mid generation refresh and 60fps is still not staple, not even 4k.

It is hard to imagine that 60fps will ever be a standard. By the time 4k sets are predominant, electronic companies will be pushing the envelope trying to mass market a new resolution to the masses, and developers will be looking to hit that resolution at lower frame rates.

This is how every generation has gone to date, and it is unlikely to change because of the costs involved and the need to get prices down to an affordable level.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Neither are you since you're speaking in absolutes.
Im speaking in absolutes about past history.
You cant change history dude, stop waffling.

When you cant come up with a cohereent argument for your reasonsing, it has to be said, then your reasoining is either

1/ Not sound
2/ Not well thought through
or
3/ Lacking supporting evidence.

In your case, its all the above.
So stop trying to belittle people who dont quite think the same way you do. If you want to make an argument for you suposition please do so.

If not, stop trying to shut others down who would oppose your statement.

Just cause you think your right in your own head, doesnt make it so, or apparent to anyone else.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Im speaking in absolutes about past history.
You cant change history dude, stop waffling.

When you cant come up with a cohereent argument for your reasonsing, it has to be said, then your reasoining is either

1/ Not sound
2/ Not well thought through
or
3/ Lacking supporting evidence.

In your case, its all the above.
So stop trying to belittle people who dont quite think the same way you do. If you want to make an argument for you suposition please do so.

If not, stop trying to shut others down who would oppose your statement.

Just cause you think your right in your own head, doesnt make it so, or apparent to anyone else.
You basically said that what you're saying is the "truth" and what I said is a dream, leaving literally no room for a logical conversation. You made a statement which automatically shuts others down as you put it. So ... you're full of crap, basically. Shutting others down because of an opposing view is exactly what you did. So ... pot meet kettle I guess.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
No, Im saying, "look at the past", your saying "bullshit".
You didnt make any other suppostiioin, or argument at all, other than "I think x will happen", and when someone points out "x wont happen look at the past" you say "bullshit".

You cant even come with a cohesive argument as to why exactly the future will be different.

When I point out that devs have always priotised graphics over frame per second, you cant even counter that argument, rather you just shut it down syaing"not even going to discuss it"

These ->

1/ Saying 4K @ 60 FPS will never happen no matter what generation is quite dumb, to be honest.
2/ Lol. Just stop.
3/ Saying that at no point in the future will 4K @ 60 FPS be the norm is just an ignorant and ridiculous statement
4/ Your entire point is not even worth having a discussion over.

Arent counter arguments or even rational discusison, its just you trying to make yourself either feel superior, or shutting down a point of debate.

When your ready to have a rational discussion over your supposition, let me know.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
You pretty much told me that everything you said is the truth, including your magical ability to predict the future, while anything anyone else has said to the contrary is some sort of pipe dream. You can't be a sarcastic dillweed and then get confused when people are sarcastic dillweeds in return. Hardware hasn't stopped improving and becoming more powerful in the last several decades. As hardware continues to advance, more and more games will be able to hit 4K @ 60 FPS. There will always be developers that want to cap at 30 FPS for graphic's sake, but you were implying that 4K @ 60 FPS is impossible for consoles, no matter how powerful they get, which is what I was implying was the stupid part of your ranting. I agree that developers have tried to at least hit the 30 FPS cap, that doesn't mean the trend will keep on going forever ... and it especially doesn't mean that 4K 60 FPS is impossible for consoles. That's the point I'm trying to wrap my head around because it's simply utter nonsense. Right now for quite a few games the PS4 Pro has resolution options ... the highest resolution for best graphics or a lower resolution for the best frame rates. We're already starting to see a push toward resolution options ... so when we hit the 8K era ... I'm sure there will continue to be lower resolution options for higher frame rates. PCs are only finally starting to be able to hit 4K @ 60 FPS ... so it's going to be quite a while before consoles will get around to it. That doesn't mean they won't ever get around to it. I'm not disagreeing with anything else you're saying.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
You pretty much told me that everything you said is the truth, including your magical ability to predict the future, while anything anyone else has said to the contrary is some sort of pipe dream. You can't be a sarcastic dillweed and then get confused when people are sarcastic dillweeds in return. Hardware hasn't stopped improving and becoming more powerful in the last several decades. As hardware continues to advance, more and more games will be able to hit 4K @ 60 FPS. There will always be developers that want to cap at 30 FPS for graphic's sake, but you were implying that 4K @ 60 FPS is impossible for consoles, no matter how powerful they get, which is what I was implying was the stupid part of your ranting. I agree that developers have tried to at least hit the 30 FPS cap, that doesn't mean the trend will keep on going forever ... and it especially doesn't mean that 4K 60 FPS is impossible for consoles. That's the point I'm trying to wrap my head around because it's simply utter nonsense. Right now for quite a few games the PS4 Pro has resolution options ... the highest resolution for best graphics or a lower resolution for the best frame rates. We're already starting to see a push toward resolution options ... so when we hit the 8K era ... I'm sure there will continue to be lower resolution options for higher frame rates. PCs are only finally starting to be able to hit 4K @ 60 FPS ... so it's going to be quite a while before consoles will get around to it. That doesn't mean they won't ever get around to it. I'm not disagreeing with anything else you're saying.
That is the high end PC parts.

I know of PC gamers who talk of how great the PC scene is and they are still on rigs that are more than half a dozen years old because they could not afford to keep up with the constant upgrades. 1080p sets are cheap right now, and 4k unit prices are dropping faster than they ever have.

In a few more years we will see people gravitating towards a better resolution. The question that really comes to mind is whether people think that Microsoft or Sony will have the hardware in place to max out 4k and 60fps in the next generation, and have that as their least common denominator.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
You pretty much told me that everything you said is the truth,
Um, opinion about the future cant be the truth. Unless you believe in some sort of time travel.
including your magical ability to predict the future,
Like I said, which leads me to believe you must be saying what I said about the past isn't true.
Well....let see how many 720p/60 titles were there last gen.
How many 1080p/60 this gen...
Answer..its not a standard feature set.
That would be what I said was....
The truth...
while anything anyone else has said to the contrary is some sort of pipe dream.
Well we can all hope, it would be nice if youre right, but based on past experiences, I wouldn't hold my breath..
You can't be a sarcastic dillweed and then get confused when people are sarcastic dillweeds in return. Hardware hasn't stopped improving and becoming more powerful in the last several decades.
Correct (hardware not the dillweed)
As hardware continues to advance, more and more games will be able to hit 4K @ 60 FPS.
The issue here is, we get console refreshes sporadically.
There will always be developers that want to cap at 30 FPS for graphic's sake, but you were implying that 4K @ 60 FPS is impossible for consoles
No I bloody didn't!

Let me quote myself (spelling mistakes and all)...

"Devs priorities are In graphics and that’s always at the expense of framesrate."

I not once said "it cant be done"

, no matter how powerful they get, which is what I was implying was the stupid part of your ranting. I agree that developers have tried to at least hit the 30 FPS cap, that doesn't mean the trend will keep on going forever ... and it especially doesn't mean that 4K 60 FPS is impossible for consoles.
The first thing we need is for the industry to settle on a resolution, no sooner had HD become the norm, then 1080p become the norm..now 4k...whats next? Who knows.

But going back to my point...60fps is doable at the expense of graphics, its always been doable.
You give devs better machines capable and what they will is push the graphics.

So as hardware gets more powerful, the chances are they will still choose graphcis over framerate.

Why?

Because they are trying to sell a game, and the best way to sell a game is in showing how pretty it can be.

So competitor A show their new game at 60fps.
Competitor B shows their game at 30fps but it looks waaayy nicer...

That's the point I'm trying to wrap my head around because it's simply utter nonsense. Right now for quite a few games the PS4 Pro has resolution options ... the highest resolution for best graphics or a lower resolution for the best frame rates. We're already starting to see a push toward resolution options ... so when we hit the 8K era ... I'm sure there will continue to be lower resolution options for higher frame rates. PCs are only finally starting to be able to hit 4K @ 60 FPS ... so it's going to be quite a while before consoles will get around to it. That doesn't mean they won't ever get around to it. I'm not disagreeing with anything else you're saying.
And pro and the X a mid gen updates, however mp games cannot and will not change fps.