Xbox One X proving difficult to hit native 4K

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
What spanner monkey decided to use 3D graphs to represent data! Go back to school you savage, i can't read this shit!

Pet peeves aside, i can't really understand the graphs, whatever they intend to represent, isn't immediately apparent to me :/

EDIT:
i mean ffs, they didn't even label either axis... nor give a proper title.

This one is trying to talk about frame-rates:

Since when have we had a console doing 100fps? I know they're converting fps to a percentage but why am i needed to do math to read a graph? It's a graph! Label the damn axis!

Edit:
Have they converted it to percentage even? I don't even know anymore.... DF done goofed. They should stick to the metrics and tables. Graphs aren't their forte.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
"Hulk smash 3D graphs!!!" :snicker

But yeah, early tests aren't necessarily indicative of final results. Still, when you consider that not everyone plays every game set to release, if a game doesn't do what is promised of the console it's running on, it's still disappointing and misleading of what the company is marketing.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6531385]What spanner monkey decided to use 3D graphs to represent data! Go back to school you savage, i can't read this $#@!!

Pet peeves aside, i can't really understand the graphs, whatever they intend to represent, isn't immediately apparent to me :/

EDIT:
i mean ffs, they didn't even label either axis... nor give a proper title.

This one is trying to talk about frame-rates:

Since when have we had a console doing 100fps? I know they're converting fps to a percentage but why am i needed to do math to read a graph? It's a graph! Label the damn axis!

Edit:
Have they converted it to percentage even? I don't even know anymore.... DF done goofed. They should stick to the metrics and tables. Graphs aren't their forte.[/QUOTE]

Just go read the article, and realize what utter bollocks this thread is,
Lethal needs to start vetting things before he posts it.

You can see at 4k with no optimizations at all, only two titles struggle to hit 4k.

One being Battlefront which was a 720p/60 game anyway.

These where RAW PORTS that simply mapped the SDRAM to GDDR, which mean extra read writes you dont even need.

77% of titles are within in spitting distance of native 4k emulating the Xbox One, without any optimization.

#Struggling

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6531395]Lethal needs to start vetting things before he posts it.

[/QUOTE]

Quit being a baby. The thread is valid and Digital Foundry is used all the damn time on this forum. I didn't write the damn article.

Besides, it has already been proven that the One X will be using checkerboarding in some games to reach a 4K image. It is simply not as powerful as you think.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531403]Quit being a baby. The thread is valid and Digital Foundry is used all the damn time on this forum. I didn't write the damn article.[/quote]

Nope but you sure did spin the fuck out of it.

Title of aetcile:
Xbox One X Performance Detailed, Native 4K Proved Difficult For Some Games - Report

Title of thread

Xbox One X proving difficult to hit native 4K

Your spin..
"some of them showed the console struggling."

Some? One fucking title which we all knew was never going to hit 4k native. It barley hits 900p on the PS4!
The other title is already within 80% without any optimization.

Besides, it has already been proven that the One X will be using checkerboarding in some games to reach a 4K image. It is simply not as powerful as you think.
Correct, no one is debating that. Your the first person who has read this article I have seen and went "oh wow not as powerful".
It shows the complete opposite in the tests.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
To be fair, Lethal already made the distinction in the OP (before editing it) that these were early tests "and are clearly not final", so I don't think anyone needs to be up in arms about his post.

The same thing happened in another thread where Lethal edited the OP and was called out after the fact. Not to mention if you make up your mind that something is "fake news", why bother asking for the source? I think that says more about your predisposition to not wanting to read any negative news.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6531409]To be fair, Lethal already made the distinction in the OP (before editing it) that these were early tests "and are clearly not final", so I don't think anyone needs to be up in arms about his post.

The same thing happened in another thread where Lethal edited the OP and was called out after the fact. Not to mention if you make up your mind that something is "fake news", why bother asking for the source? I think that says more about your predisposition to not wanting to read any negative news.[/QUOTE]

I had already read the original source, and read an understood what DF had said, and that was in no way "Xbox One X proving difficult to hit native 4K "

And there is this...

Still interesting to see this super console struggling at what Microsoft claims to be a 4K powerhouse.
Nor would you say it was struggling on anything but one title.

And lets not forget, regardless of resolution, any game with 4k Assets is going to show power in other ways over PS4 pro.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6531408]Nope but you sure did spin the $#@! out of it.[/QUOTE]

Man you really have issues. You act like I kicked your mother in the gut any time Microsoft isn't perfect. You do not work for Microsoft. Hopefully you do not wear Xbox underwear or have stupid Xbox logo tattooed on your body.

I did not write the article and all you ever do is get upset over the news. During E3 you acted like a giant fanboy. Any news that is negative your cry complain and blame the person who created the thread.

JUST MAKE YOUR DAMN OPINION WITHOUT GETTING ALL PISSY! Why the hell do you get so angry??????????????

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
You mentioned two games were struggling in a previous post, mynd, which you can attribute to "some games proving difficult". Though I'm a little confused because in the next post you mentioned one of the two titles being within 80 percent (not sure if it means the same thing).

If I were you, Lethal, I wouldn't haven't omitted that part of the article title in the thread title because regardless I think it would still get people talking.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6531413]You mentioned two games were struggling in your previous post, mynd, which you can attribute to "some games proving difficult". If I were you, Lethal, I wouldn't haven't omitted that part of the article title in the thread title because regardless I think it would still get people talking.[/QUOTE]

I basically copied the exact title Gamespot used for the article. Mynd just likes to put the blame on anyone but Microsoft. I would love to know why he takes it personally when negative information about Microsoft comes out.

For Christ sakes this is a Playstation forum.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531414]I basically copied the exact title Gamespot used for the article.[/QUOTE]
No, I mean you omitted the part of the title "proved difficult for some games".

An important distinction though I don't think it'd stop people from discussing.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6531415]No, I mean you omitted the part of the title "proved difficult for some games".

An important distinction though I don't think it'd stop people from discussing.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't change anything though. Doesn't make it less or more difficult. The link is also there for anyone to read the exact article and view the charts where you would see exactly where the console struggled.

In fact, the very first sentence of the thread specifically points out "some games"

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531414]I basically copied the exact title Gamespot used for the article. Mynd just likes to put the blame on anyone but Microsoft. I would love to know why he takes it personally when negative information about Microsoft comes out.

For Christ sakes this is a Playstation forum.[/QUOTE]

See the problem is, this int negative information, it was published by MS at their developers conferences to show how powerful the damm achines are even in their completely raw state.

Its not even remotely bad.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531403]Quit being a baby. The thread is valid and Digital Foundry is used all the damn time on this forum. I didn't write the damn article.
[/QUOTE]
just bent the thread title to fit your own agenda and your a MOD? how?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6531440]just bent the thread title to fit your own agenda and your a MOD? how?[/QUOTE]

There is no agenda you twat. Go join an Xbox forum if you are going to cry every time you don't like the news. You and mynd are fucking annoying.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6531461]edit:let me stay out of this.[/QUOTE]

Jump in man. These guys think I write this shit. The news is what it is. I post good and bad on all fronts. I own all the consoles and I can post whatever news I feel will get a discussion going.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I've got nothing against you personally, Lethal. You help to keep the forums alive and usually post some interesting threads, all while taking care of a large family and running your own business when most other people doing the same probably wouldn't bother posting anymore.

All I'm saying is you could have probably chosen your words better in the OP but then if I remember correctly, it is against the rules to call someone out on something because they feel that person has an agenda or whatever. That said, what should have happened is that mynd, Yungstar 2006 and others who are so inclined use the report button instead.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Articles like this will continue to be a dime a dozen,but the fact remains that Xbox one x is still more capable than any other console out there no matter how much people try and downplay its capabilities. Its only going to get better with time. Regardless, you will still get artles like the one posted here.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
It's not struggling because it isn't powerful enough.

Mynd is pretty much spot on and all that needed to be said:
You can see at 4k with no optimizations at all, only two titles struggle to hit 4k.

One being Battlefront which was a 720p/60 game anyway.

These where RAW PORTS that simply mapped the SDRAM to GDDR, which mean extra read writes you dont even need.

77% of titles are within in spitting distance of native 4k emulating the Xbox One, without any optimization.

#Struggling
The graph itself shows how damn good the console is going to be.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6531472]Xbox one x is still more capable than any other console out there no matter how much people try and downplay its capabilities.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has ever argues this. Digital Foundry is pretty much saying the console will not be able to hit native 4K on all their games. I said weeks ago that the cpu is the weakest part of the console and it will hinder what the One X can do. The Jaguar cpu was a mistake on both Microsoft and Sony's part. Microsoft had to stick with the Jaguar architecture because it has to be able to run Xbox One games without emulation.

We do not have the console and we have not seen anything in person. DF has and they are reporting on what they have found. I also believe the first post clearly pointed out that these are early tests and not final. But we all know certain people here can't seem to read the entire post.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531477]Nobody has ever argues this. Digital Foundry is pretty much saying the console will not be able to hit native 4K on all their games. I said weeks ago that the cpu is the weakest part of the console and it will hinder what the One X can do. The Jaguar cpu was a mistake on both Microsoft and Sony's part. Microsoft had to stick with the Jaguar architecture because it has to be able to run Xbox One games without emulation.
[/QUOTE]

Thats something we knew before digital foundry said it. Microsoft has said they wont mandate that all games be native 4k. Its mostly up to the devs. Not hitting 4k doesnt mean no improvement in other areas.

As far as the the jaguar cpu goes i disagree that it was a mistake. It not just a average jaguar and they didnt need to use a Ryzen cpu to hit the performance target. It likely that a ryzen cpu would make this a $600 console which is something they probably wanted to avoid. The most important thing is that they promised 6 Tera flops and thats what we're getting. We are seeing that this console is much more capable than ps4 pro whic IMO is not worth the money for what you get.

We do not have the console and we have not seen anything in person. DF has and they are reporting on what they have found. I also believe the first post clearly pointed out that these are early tests and not final. But we all know certain people here can't seem to read the entire post.
Well, you did put a spin on it. Then it was this:

"Still interesting to see this super console struggling at what Microsoft claims to be a 4K powerhouse."

Imo, that statement sounds like you posted this to downplay the xbox one x. Care to explain how you came to that conclusion? How is it struggling?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6531478]Microsoft has said they wont mandate that all games be native 4k. Its mostly up to the devs. Not hitting 4k doesnt mean no improvement in other areas.[/QUOTE]
Being able to experience 4K gaming is the main selling point of these upgraded consoles. How would you feel if every developer creating games for the Xbox One X chose not to render their games in 4k?

It sounds to me like Microsoft is shifting any accountability for their upgraded console not achieving 4K gaming from themselves to the developers by not mandating such an important feature.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531477]Nobody has ever argues this. Digital Foundry is pretty much saying the console will not be able to hit native 4K on all their games. I said weeks ago that the cpu is the weakest part of the console and it will hinder what the One X can do. The Jaguar cpu was a mistake on both Microsoft and Sony's part. Microsoft had to stick with the Jaguar architecture because it has to be able to run Xbox One games without emulation.

We do not have the console and we have not seen anything in person. DF has and they are reporting on what they have found. I also believe the first post clearly pointed out that these are early tests and not final. But we all know certain people here can't seem to read the entire post.[/QUOTE]
Saying it is struggling is a straw grab at least.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6531483]Saying it is struggling is a straw grab at least.[/QUOTE]

Dude, look at the data. The system more than struggled in some of the tests. That is a fact. They are also early tests so we can only go with what we have here. Eventually there will be some final data to see.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6531479]Being able to experience 4K gaming is the main selling point of these upgraded consoles. How would you feel if every developer creating games for the Xbox One X chose not to render their games in 4k? [/QUOTE]

If they choose to then its their pretogative. Thats on them. Thats not gonna happen though. The console even at this early stage is very impressive at what it can achieve. It will have some of the best looking and olaying games for sure.

It sounds to me like Microsoft is shifting any accountability for their upgraded console not achieving 4K gaming from themselves to the developers by not mandating such an important feature.
Not at all. Developers asked for at a 6 TFlop console and ms delivered. I dont see any shifting going on. Ms has no control over games they dont publish. They supply the tools and maybe some other support but its ultimately on the devs.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6531485]Dude, look at the data. The system more than struggled in some of the tests. That is a fact. They are also early tests so we can only go with what we have here. Eventually there will be some final data to see.[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstand what the data means.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6531496]I think you misunderstand what the data means.[/QUOTE]

Pretty simple to read man. Star Wars is running at 4K but it can not handle 4K and hit 60fps. What am I not understanding right now? Star Wars will release with checkerboarding so that the 60fps mark is met. I can almost guarantee that will be the case on many games that require 60fps.