Xbox One X tear down - Vapor chamber is not liquid cooling

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
For some reason many people think the console is liquid cooled. Well that would be impossible to achieve. For starters the liquid would need to be refilled often. No radiator or pump either.

Anyways, the tear down shows off how nicely Microsoft packed everything in to this case.

[video=youtube;rJ12kIBXqeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ12kIBXqeo&t=636s[/video]

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534141]For some reason many people think the console is liquid cooled. Well that would be impossible to achieve. For starters the liquid would need to be refilled often. No radiator or pump either.

Anyways, the tear down shows off how nicely Microsoft packed everything in to this case.

[video=youtube;rJ12kIBXqeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ12kIBXqeo&t=636s[/video][/QUOTE] its liquid cooled. It’s just not in the traditional sense. Anyways, this is from about 5 months ago and the headline title is a bit misleading.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-one-x-vapor-cooling-system,34787.html
“The vapor chamber cooler used in the Xbox One X uses what is known as a two-piece design consisting of upper and lower stamped plates sandwiched together to create a chamber with a sintered wick material on the inner walls. This design allows for complex shapes to be molded into the base plate to enable direct contact with the Xbox One X core and memory chips while heatsink fins are attached to the smooth upper plate.
Coolant, usually in the form of deionised water, is added to the chamber and then vacuum sealed. This causes the wicking material to evenly distribute the fluid throughout the chamber. Once applied to a heat source, the liquid turns to vapor and moves to an area of lower pressure where it dissipate its heat load and returns to liquid form. The cooled liquid then moves back to the heat source by virtue of capillary action and the process repeats itself. As a result, this method of cooling provides evenly spread temperatures across all of its mating surfaces, regardless of the location and density of the heat source.

As you can see, the two methods are quite different, even though they can technically be referred to as “liquid cooling.”

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
That thermal paste!

The vapour chamber is one of the cooler (i pun) additions to the 'X'. Also gives some insight into how far they are pushing the Polaris core.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6534142]its liquid cooled. It’s just not in the traditional sense. [/QUOTE]

No. It is absolutely not liquid cooled......

And Microsoft is using some janky ass thermal paste.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534158]No. It is absolutely not liquid cooled......

And Microsoft is using some janky ass thermal paste.[/QUOTE]

Who gives a flying fuck. As long it is doing the job.
As for the paste. Thermal pastes job is to ensure maximum contact between CPU and heat plate. Nothing "janky" about it.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6534159]Who gives a flying $#@!. As long it is doing the job.
As for the paste. Thermal pastes job is to ensure maximum contact between CPU and heat plate. Nothing "janky" about it.[/QUOTE]

lol look at you getting so defensive. And that paste is janky as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534165]lol look at you getting so defensive. And that paste is janky as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

you always hating, lethal. Th console is liquid cooled. It’s better than the pro. It’s time to move on.

Coolant, usually in the form of deionised water, is added to the chamber and then vacuum sealed. This causes the wicking material to evenly distribute the fluid throughout the chamber. Once applied to a heat source, the liquid turns to vapor and moves to an area of lower pressure where it dissipate its heat load and returns to liquid form
and here it is again from the ms engineers.
https://news.xbox.com/2017/10/05/xbox-one-x-what-it-takes-to-build-a-console/
[FONT=&amp]
We recently heard from Bryan Sparks, Senior Designer, Microsoft Device Design Team, and Leonardo Del Castillo, GM of Xbox Devices Console Development to learn about their creative collaboration process behind the world’s most powerful gaming console: Xbox One X.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The vaper chamber heat sink is fascinating. It’s hollow, filled with water, and there’s a vacuum that draws upon that water to help move the heat to the radiator fins and thus into the air. Leo’s team looked like they solved how to keep temperatures lower than normal, but there still needs way for that air to move through and out of the system.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534165]lol look at you getting so defensive. And that paste is janky as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Only jankey if you pull it apart and then try and reassemble it. Having built over 5000 pc's in my life time, and been a PC technician for 23 years, Ive never seen a system fail cause of thermal paste. "Jankey" or otherwise.

And yes hes right to scrape it off and re-paste it, but he's wrong to say that it should be sticky, thermal paste can be, thermal adhesive is not. And Ive seen various types in between over the years. None of it is ever designed to be pull apart and then put back on. Some of it even comes as a solid pad on the heatsink that you simply put on and melts and cements into place upon heat. And you know what, this is that type.

But you know, a fucking company with lots riding on it thermal tech, is going to engineer the product and then use "janky" paste on it.
Seriously.

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6534142]its liquid cooled. It’s just not in the traditional sense. Anyways, this is from about 5 months ago and the headline title is a bit misleading.

[/QUOTE]

Vapour champers do contain a tiny bit of liquid but they are not actually in the liquid cooling category since there isn't a water block, radiator, and pump involved.
From what I understand vapour champers have way more things in common with traditional heat pipes rather than water cooling.

The very link you posted says that Xbox X is NOT liquid cooled, so I don't understand why you used it when its says the exact opposite?

IMO all this is just marketing talk. Im not saying that the X's cooling solution is not the most advanced ever in a console. It is. And could very well be the most effective too. It's just that MS would very much like people to associate the X's "liquid cooling" solution with the liquid cooling solutions found in high end gaming PCs that cost thousands of $$$ even though they are very much different.

It's a bit like mobile phone manufacturers with and their "wireless charging" which is more like inductive charging but since there are no wires it becomes "wire-less" which is perfect marketing-wise. And when NikolaTesla -like wireless charging makes it's debut they will just call it true-wireless charging or something.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6534171]Vapour champers do contain a tiny bit of liquid but they are not actually in the liquid cooling category since there isn't a water block, radiator, and pump involved.
From what I understand vapour champers have way more things in common with traditional heat pipes rather than water cooling.

The very link you posted says that Xbox X is NOT liquid cooled
, so I don't understand why you used it when its says the exact opposite?

IMO all this is just marketing talk. Im not saying that the X's cooling solution is not the most advanced ever in a console. It is. And could very well be the most effective too. It's just that MS would very much like people to associate the X's "liquid cooling" solution with the liquid cooling solutions found in high end gaming PCs that cost thousands of $$$ even though they are very much different.

It's a bit like mobile phone manufacturers with and their "wireless charging" which is more like inductive charging but since there are no wires it becomes "wire-less" which is perfect marketing-wise. And when NikolaTesla -like wireless charging makes it's debut they will just call it true-wireless charging or something.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it did say it's liquid cooled just not in the traditional sense. Its just that they left that out in the headline title, and you know most people only pay attention to that and not read the entire article.
"As you can see, the two methods are quite different, even though they can technically be referred to as “liquid cooling.”
They can call it what they want as long as it works well. That's what matters the most.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6534167]you always hating, lethal. Th console is liquid cooled. It’s better than the pro. It’s time to move on.[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[/QUOTE]

lol I am hating because I posted a tear down video and explained why people are wrong for thinking the console is liquid cooled? Even the title of your link specifically says "NOT liquid cooled"

You fanboys have serious issues....... You and mynd curl up in to a little ball and cry anytime you don't like what you read. Man up and lay down your argument without looking like a child for once.

The system has a good cooling system. It just isnt liquid cooled like a lot of people think. A vapor chamber is not liquid cooling. Even the damn name says it all. You know what a vapor is yes?

Liquid cooling would need a pump to push the liquid from the heat sink to the radiator where it will then release the heat to the radiator and then flow back to the heatsink. Rinse and repeat. The liquid will also start to evaporate because you can only heat and cool the liquid so many times before it needs more coolant added. At no point does liquid cooling produce vapors to remove heat. It is liquid from start to finish and is pushed with a pump.

The Xbox One X will burn and die without that massive fan inside. My personal liquid cooled pc does not have any fans.

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6534176]Actually, it did say it's liquid cooled just not in the traditional sense. Its just that they left that out in the headline title, and you know most people only pay attention to that and not read the entire article.

They can call it what they want as long as it works well. That's what matters the most.[/QUOTE]
The rest of the article reflects on the title from what I gather. I agree with you that it works well. Vapour chamber cooling is better than than the heat pipe cooling it replaces.

If you show the Xbox X to any serious gaming PC builder and tell him it’s “liquid cooled” you’ll have them scratching their head. If you tell them it’s vapour chamber cooled instead they’ll be impressed. To a degree.

Long story short, the Xbox X has a state of the art (10 year old actually) vapour chamber cooling solution. MS chose to call it “liquid cooled” for marketing purposes. Because it does contain a tiny amount of fluid and people hear liquid cooled and naturally associate it with traditional water cooling.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534177]lol I am hating because I posted a tear down video and explained why people are wrong for thinking the console is liquid cooled? Even the title of your link specifically says "NOT liquid cooled"

You fanboys have serious issues....... You and mynd curl up in to a little ball and cry anytime you don't like what you read. Man up and lay down your argument without looking like a child for once.

The system has a good cooling system. It just isnt liquid cooled like a lot of people think. A vapor chamber is not liquid cooling. Even the damn name says it all. You know what a vapor is yes?

Liquid cooling would need a pump to push the liquid from the heat sink to the radiator where it will then release the heat to the radiator and then flow back to the heatsink. Rinse and repeat. The liquid will also start to evaporate because you can only heat and cool the liquid so many times before it needs more coolant added. At no point does liquid cooling produce vapors to remove heat. It is liquid from start to finish and is pushed with a pump.

The Xbox One X will burn and die without that massive fan inside. My personal liquid cooled pc does not have any fans.[/QUOTE]
Yea, it does seem you’re hating a bit.
Anyways, it’s not like a standard cooling system.They are still using vapor chamber heat sinks like they do with high end graphics cards. I think ms has said this a long time ago.

And whatever happened to the “I can’t wait to get the x to compare it with pro games side by side”. Are you gonna post those results too?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6534180]Yea, it does seem you’re hating a bit.[/QUOTE]

Only to people with xbox pajamas maybe.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534181]Only to people with xbox pajamas maybe.[/QUOTE]
my pajamas are green. What color are yours since you forked over the $500 to get one...lol Microsoft developed their own liquid cooled vapor chamber for Xbox one x. That’s what they’re calling it. I’m cool with it as long as it works. Now, how about we get those comparison videos you talked about.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534177]lol I am hating because I posted a tear down video and explained why people are wrong for thinking the console is liquid cooled? Even the title of your link specifically says "NOT liquid cooled"

The Xbox One X will burn and die without that massive fan inside. My personal liquid cooled pc does not have any fans.[/QUOTE]

I never thought it was liquid cooled, I don't know anyone who thought that, and I don't know anyone who would give a dam either way. My understanding was it was using some swanky cooling system. Good enough for me.

The only issue is with you running around decrying "its not liquid cooled", I don't think that has any impact on any sort of performance of games. It could run on dylithium crystals for cooling as long as it doesn't fail to do its job.
I do take issue with you having an issue with the paste, cause that's frankly a laymen in a video talking about shit he doesn't know about and doesn't understand.

The Xbox One X will burn and die without that massive fan inside.
Might do, might not too. I guess if it doesn't you'll simply forget you made that statement and move on to the next thing you think it will die on.

Im just going to find in the forums where you said the Pro will burn out with its large fan...

Or the 360 E....

Or the Xbox 360S.

Jesus seriously Lethal.

Please try harder.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6534192]I never thought it was liquid cooled, I don't know anyone who thought that[/QUOTE]

Because you only hear and read what you want. Just look up and you will see that Substance thought it was liquid cooled. The internet if filled with people that think that it is.

Do not cry because I posted the facts. Do not cry because you think I need to try harder to make you ball up and cry in the corner. You do that on your own because my thread does not have you in mind. I posted it because it was a neat video and was also clarifying that the console is not liquid cooled.

The 2 of you love to get defensive and make things in to a damn battle. Get over yourself.

Have a good day....

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6534193]Because you only hear and read what you want. Just look up and you will see that Substance thought it was liquid cooled. The internet if filled with people that think that it is.

Do not cry because I posted the facts. Do not cry because you think I need to try harder to make you ball up and cry in the corner. You do that on your own because my thread does not have you in mind. I posted it because it was a neat video and was also clarifying that the console is not liquid cooled.[/quote]

Cool, we got that one out of the road then.
The world can now sleep easier at night.
The 2 of you love to get defensive and make things in to a damn battle. Get over yourself.

Have a good day....
Not defensive, I'm not the one suggesting the console is going to burn out without its fan..
I mean seriously you can feel the dam venom in your writing man.
I mean the thing gets hot, its got a lot of power. It needs something to cool it down. NO one is really surprised about that now are they?

Last edited: