Xbox Sales and Numbers Thread

S

Soldier 95B

Holy mother of god:

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/xbox-360-scores-biggest-nonholiday-month

Microsoft sold 535,000 Xbox 360s in the United States in February, the biggest month in the console’s history outside of the peak holiday shopping season.
The Redmond company released the figure in advance of this afternoon’s monthly report from the NPD Group market research, saying that its growth of 27 percent outpaced both the Nintendo Wii and Sony’s PlayStation 3.
Total retail spending on Xbox 360 hardware, software and accessories was $475 million in the U.S., also the largest among the Big 3 consoles.
Microsoft yesterday announced that the Kinect motion controller had surpassed 10 million units shipped since its November release.
Can you say SPANK?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
You shouldn't even be giving that much a fuck about it. The xbox is selling very poorly outside of the holiday. That's nothing new. It's the very reason MS doesn't give out numbers and gloat at any chance they come out on top in North America only.

Xbox beat the ps4 in sales in NA during Dec. Not surprising considering Sony didn't bother slashing the price to compete. Switch came in first.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
I'd take it a step further Two, and say who gives a fuck either way? So what Sony is claiming 75 million PS4's sold. Who gives a rats ass if it is a 2:1, or 3:1, or 20:1 outpacing of MS's consoles?

NO one should.

Both consoles are still getting the games, and devs are still making multiplats.

Maybe it is because i grew up knowing that if I wanted to play Metroid I bought a Nintendo, or if I wanted Sonic, I got a Genesis. I wanted to play Uncharted, I got a PS3/PS4. People just need to quit putting these fucking consoles on a pedestal and get back to holding devs to task to make good games.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
People seem to think that if Microsoft or Sony wins, then they do to or something. It is a funny thing to watch. Some get so damn serious about it to. Microsoft has no idea who any of us are and we tend to feel like if they win or lose then we do lol.

The Wii U sold like complete ass but I never once felt like a loser for buying the console.

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
I just don't get it, never have. Why someone could possibly have any sort of hate or animosity towards a fucking console. Is it jealousy and they can't afford the second console? Is it compensation trying to convince themselves that the 400 dollar investment was the right one? I dunno, but it is all stupid as shit behavior. Just simply put, if you buy a console and you support it, do so by purchasing the games. Cause news flash, getting on forums and hating the competition or tweeting about some stupid digital foundry comparison isn't gonna change shit. MS, NIN and PS will just keep laughing as they take our money and keep selling.

We have a voice in what succeeds and what doesn't with our money, not the voices. Since MS and Sony are raking in the dough, being second or third just doesn't matter.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think it's interesting to discuss sales when comparing generations, to see what works and what doesn't which may help predict future products. I've found that usually when a product continues selling poorly, it highlights a certain stubborn arrogance within the company which does affect consumers since they obviously don't agree, or else sales would be better.

Just look at how Nintendo jumped back from the failure of the Wii U with the success of the Switch, or how Sony continues to support PS VR compared to giving up early with PS Vita. Not saying the Xbox One family of consoles are selling poorly (as pointed out, with Microsoft, they don't reveal their sales numbers) but they don't even appear to offer many exclusive games.

Besides, you guys know damn well if Microsoft were posting impressive sales numbers that the biggest Xbox fans would be the first to discuss it in this thread. The same Xbox fans who will point out Xbox One X is capable of native 4K after starting out the generation defending the Xbox One's 900p resolution output in most games. "It doesn't matter" until it does.

I agree that no one should be laughed at for purchasing one product over another but I think the criticism has always been directed at the company anyway and not the console. Same thing with Sony and Nintendo. And they do make stupid decisions sometimes despite releasing great games. I'm all for defending something but don't think we should do it blindly.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Well, the Xbox One (like the Xbox 360 and original Xbox) will probably always be behind globally because of the poor reaction from Japan and other Asian territories. Talk about an uphill battle for Microsoft.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Well, the Xbox One (like the Xbox 360 and original Xbox) will probably always be behind globally because of the poor reaction from Japan and other Asian territories. Talk about an uphill battle for Microsoft.
Meh, they don’t really need Japan to be successful. Xbox 360 sales proved that. As a matter of fact the PS4 didn’t even launch there initially.To me that’s says japan isn’t a major player anymore and the other markets are more important. I must say the switch is doing ok, I guess .

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Meh, they don’t really need Japan to be successful. Xbox 360 sales proved that. As a matter of fact the PS4 didn’t even launch there initially.To me that’s says japan isn’t a major player anymore and the other markets are more important.
I'll have to agree to disagree.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think PS4 launched later in Japan due to lack of Japanese-developed games at the time, not because the region is a smaller market. Maybe if it happened again with the PS5...

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
I think PS4 launched later in Japan due to lack of Japanese-developed games at the time, not because the region is a smaller market. Maybe if it happened again with the PS5...
So you’re saying market had nothing to do with them launching outside of Japan first? If that’s the case then why,as you say, they had a “lack of Japanese developed games”? I tell you why it’s because the US and other markets are more attractive when it comes to moving hardware. And Japan has shown that they are more interested in the mobile gaming market. Just look at what’s selling the best there. You won’t see ms launching in Japan first because their products sell better here in the US. It’s the same for Sony. Basically supply and demand.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
If mobile gaming is a bigger market and more attractive to these companies, so much so that it delayed the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One in Japan, why continue releasing new consoles and games for those consoles every 5-6 years?

Look at the actual weekly sales numbers in Japan (followed by last week's sales):

Switch – 43,027 (37,500)
PlayStation 4 – 37,572 (32,890)
PlayStation 4 Pro – 14,935 (10,918)
New 2DS LL – 7,302 (9,929)
PlayStation Vita – 4,256 (4,388)
New 3DS LL – 3,563 (5,270)
Xbox One X – 1,285 (6)
2DS – 1,250 (1,656)
Xbox One – 103 (107)

Unless you're Microsoft, consoles are doing just fine in Japan.

May 20, 2008
If mobile gaming is a bigger market and more attractive to these companies, so much so that it delayed the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One in Japan, why continue releasing new consoles and games for those consoles every 5-6 years?

Look at the actual weekly sales numbers in Japan (followed by last week's sales):

Switch – 43,027 (37,500)
Xbox One X – 1,285 (6)
2DS – 1,250 (1,656)
Xbox One – 103 (107)

You forgot those smart phones.
Now go compare those to the US and Europe. Look at the total amount of sales and see where Japan ranks. I think PS4 just barely hit 6 mil this month..

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007

Switch – 43,027 (37,500)
Xbox One X – 1,285 (6)
2DS – 1,250 (1,656)
Xbox One – 103 (107)

Those numbers are abysmal for MS...

At least in Japan.

As i understand XB fairs far better in the US... but still, one console a day is not ideal.

Now go compare those to the US and Europe. Look at the total amount of sales and see where Japan ranks. I think PS4 just barely hit 6 mil this month..
I don't often get into sales figures, but..

I think you are purposefully underplaying the significance of the Japanese market, granted the share is smaller no one will argue otherwise, but 6 million is not a number to scoff at.

It breaks down as follows (roughly):
- 1/5 of XB Cumilative sales​
- 3/4 of XB Europes Sales​
- 1/3 of XB US Sales​
- 2/7 of PS4 US sales​
- 1/5 of PS4 Europe sales​

OR

~8000000 vs ~6000000 - For XB EU, and PS4 Japan respectively.

If PS4 Japan is not important, trailing just behind XB's EU figure, what does that make of XB's EU figure?

The EU figures for comparison:

~30000000 vs ~ 10000000 - For PS4 and XB respectively (since simplifying the value seems to diminish it's significance, i've left them in their numerical form :))

May 20, 2008
Those numbers are abysmal for MS...

At least in Japan.

As i understand XB fairs far better in the US... but still, one console a day is not ideal.

I don't often get into sales figures, but..

I think you are purposefully underplaying the significance of the Japanese market, granted the share is smaller no one will argue otherwise, but 6 million is not a number to scoff at.

It breaks down as follows (roughly):
- 1/5 of XB Cumilative sales​

- 3/4 of XB Europes Sales​

- 1/3 of XB US Sales​

- 2/7 of PS4 US sales​

- 1/5 of PS4 Europe sales​

OR

~8000000 vs ~6000000 - For XB EU, and PS4 Japan respectively.

If PS4 Japan is not important, trailing just behind XB's EU figure, what does that make of XB's EU figure?

The EU figures for comparison:

~30000000 vs ~ 10000000 - For PS4 and XB respectively (since simplifying the value seems to diminish it's significance, i've left them in their numerical form :))
When did I say japan was not important? I said other markets are more important. Japan is a weaker market for consoles plus Nintendo is pretty much the king over there. 6 million consoles sold isn't a bad number at all but its pales in comparisons to the numbers coming from the other markets. Sony wanted a foothold on the US market because its a bigger market. Plain and simple. They buy more consoles and games. That's a fact. I cant believe we even have to debate something like this because its been well known for years now.
http://gameranx.com/updates/id/135467/article/ps4-has-sold-a-total-of-6-million-units-in-japan/
It’s a considerably good number due to the weaker Japanese console market, as well as the degree of control Nintendo has over the Market there. With the upcomign release of Monster Hunter World, we shoudl see the sales bump up slightly, even if it’s only for the short term. Regardless, it’s good to see that Sony is still holding it’s ground, even after it’s weak launch.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
The Xbox consoles have always had much weaker appeal in eastern countries in comparison to western countries such as the US and EU that tend to gravitate toward shooting games much more. Even a lot of western consumers today still appreciate solid eastern made games. The PS4 library just has more world wide appeal in comparison to the Xbox One library.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Interestingly, it was Sony, not Nintendo, who came out on top in hardware sales sold for the week I posted earlier.

Sony: 56,763
Nintendo: 55,142
Microsoft: 1,388

These are total weekly numbers if you only compare PS4 + PS4 Pro with Switch:

Sony: 52,507
Nintendo: 43,027

That said, "Nintendo is pretty much king over there" isn't really true, and therefore not really an excuse for poor Xbox One sales in Japan.

I don't know the sales numbers for "smartphones" and their games as of late, and quite frankly I don't care, because the sales data that's been posted these last couple years (comparing consoles to handhelds) is evidence console gaming has slowly but surely recovered in Japan.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Interestingly, it was Sony, not Nintendo, who came out on top in hardware sales sold for the week I posted earlier.

That said, "Nintendo is pretty much king over there" isn't really true, and therefore not really an excuse for poor Xbox One sales in Japan.

I don't know the sales numbers for "smartphones" and their games as of late, and quite frankly I don't care, because the sales data that's been posted these last couple years (comparing consoles to handhelds) is evidence console gaming has slowly but surely recovered in Japan.

That’s not true. There are actually fewer consoles in Japan now than years ago. Japanese games in the west are doing pretty good but console gaming itself there is still dire. Not saying this will always be the case but for now it is. One of the reasons for the decline is that Japanese development are not prepared for those huge budget GTA like games which is why you see publishers like Konami and Sega going the mobile/FTP route. Game development cost aren’t getting any cheaper.

But like I said before if you compare Nintendo to the others you can see they are more preferred in that region.

Jun 4, 2007
The 360 was declining in sales until Kinect sparked things back up. The xbone doesn't have a kinect crutch nor does it have any exclusives lined up to boost sales in such a manner. This news also means that it's tracking well behind the ps3 also.

Code:
 Xbox 360  Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)

FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3 

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.2     31.5 

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.7     55.3

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

Jun 4, 2007
There's some leaked news that says the X is outselling the Pro if you align their launch months. I'm shocked MS hasn't bragged about it being that it's exactly something they'd comment on. Of course it's for NPD figures only.