Xbox Scorpio vs PS4 Pro

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6529610]Just need the most important question answered. How much?[/QUOTE]

Indeed this is the most important question, PS4 Pro was released at a decent price so will be interesting to see how Microsoft go about pricing theirs, can take a guess though it will be around the £500 mark

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I've seen speculation anywhere between $399 and $599. I can't imagine MS selling it at at a loss so $499 to $599 seems more likely.

Funny how I'm so conditioned to say 499 instead of 500. Thanks marketing dudes of the world. :rolleyes:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Aift, post: 6529629]I'm betting on a $399 price tag. Microsoft is definitely going to subsidize this machine.[/QUOTE]

Not a chance in hell. An impossible price tag really. PS4 Pro is $399.99 and the Scorpio has better hardware.

Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
I think MS's biggest challenge is going to be winning back all the gamers they lost with their initial XB1 launch plans. Many people won't forget anti-consumer stuff like that. I certainly won't. And you KNOW they will continue to work towards that original plan. Already trying to do it with Windows 10. But I also have a bit of a bias against MS when they rendered all my direct-input PC controllers junk shortly after the first XBOX released.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Rayder, post: 6529667]I think MS's biggest challenge is going to be winning back all the gamers they lost with their initial XB1 launch plans. Many people won't forget anti-consumer stuff like that. I certainly won't. And you KNOW they will continue to work towards that original plan. Already trying to do it with Windows 10. But I also have a bit of a bias against MS when they rendered all my direct-input PC controllers junk shortly after the first XBOX released.[/QUOTE]

I think most have moved passed that by now. Sales have been improving each year and I am sure Scorpio will eventually sell well. It will depend on the price and amount of games ready to take advantage on launch day.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6529669]I think most have moved passed that by now. Sales have been improving each year and I am sure Scorpio will eventually sell well. It will depend on the price and amount of games ready to take advantage on launch day.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the sales this year are the worst in xbox one history. It's not by much though. I'm not sure if it's from the drought of games or people waiting on scorpio.

Sony just announced that 20% of the total ps4 sales(since launch of pro) are from ps4pro. They need to ramp up production for it because they say it's supply constraint. It'll be interesting to see the xbone vs scorpio ratio once it launches later this year. MS doesn't announce figures unless they beat Sony but they should be able to give us the ratio because it's not like it'll give us an exact figure of total xbox sales.

We know how it stacks up against the pro. It clearly beats out the pro in all areas as it should by launching a year later. Less than a week to go until all is revealed with the games and pricing. They should have learned a lot from Sony's mistakes with the pro.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I wonder what people will say if Xbox Scorpio ends up selling more than PS4 Pro? If Microsoft end up closing the gap in sales, even surpassing Sony, by offering the superior version of multiplatform games, will people say Microsoft had the right idea with their upgraded console?

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6529712]I wonder what people will say if Xbox Scorpio ends up selling more than PS4 Pro? If Microsoft end up closing the gap in sales, even surpassing Sony, by offering the superior version of multiplatform games, will people say Microsoft had the right idea with their upgraded console?[/QUOTE]
Overall sales wise Sony is still going to win this generation unless they do a complete 180 at some point. Who knows, maybe Microsoft made the move that they did because the technology wasn't cheap enough to be able to create a true next gen console.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6529712]I wonder what people will say if Xbox Scorpio ends up selling more than PS4 Pro? If Microsoft end up closing the gap in sales, even surpassing Sony, by offering the superior version of multiplatform games, will people say Microsoft had the right idea with their upgraded console?[/QUOTE]
Will pigs fly along with Hell freezing over?

May 20, 2008
Vyse;6529712[B said:
]I wonder what people will say if Xbox Scorpio ends up selling more than PS4 Pro?[/B] If Microsoft end up closing the gap in sales, even surpassing Sony, by offering the superior version of multiplatform games, will people say Microsoft had the right idea with their upgraded console?
Some will say......'Sales don't matter".:D

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6529722]Some will say......'Sales don't matter".:D[/QUOTE]

Xbox fanboys say this right now. :)

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6529717]Will pigs fly along with Hell freezing over?[/QUOTE]
So, you don't think there could be more Xbox Scorpio sold than PS4 Pro? You don't think it matters Microsoft's upgraded console will likely have the superior version of multiplatform releases?

What's so unbelievable about Sony not winning all of the time?

Last edited:

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6529735]So, you don't think there could be more Xbox Scorpio sold than PS4 Pro? You don't think it matters Microsoft's upgraded console will likely have the superior version of multiplatform releases?

What's so unbelievable about Sony not winning all of the time?[/QUOTE]
It's possible that scorpio could outsell the pro but that's highly unlikely. edit

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6529727]Xbox fanboys say this right now. :)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps some of those fanboys don't equate sales to quality. Hardware matters too. At least it used too until Scorpio came along.;) Finally, a console that can complement my PC.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6529735]
What's so unbelievable about Sony not winning all of the time?[/QUOTE]
Nothing really given how history has told that Sony hasn't always won. Vyse let me ask you something. What games do you feel in combination would give the Scorpio such an appeal that it would outsell the PS4 Pro? Remember Scalebound, which imo may have been of a benefit if it had not been canceled, is no longer an option.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Either Sony got the jump on Microsoft here and even thought the Scorpio will be higher spec the PS4 Pro will continue to outsell the Xbox brand OR Microsort have done the right thing by waiting and in doing so will start to see the tide turn and the Scorpio outsell the Pro, guess we shall just have to wait and see who got the timing right..........

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6529758]Either Sony got the jump on Microsoft here and even thought the Scorpio will be higher spec the PS4 Pro will continue to outsell the Xbox brand OR Microsort have done the right thing by waiting and in doing so will start to see the tide turn and the Scorpio outsell the Pro, guess we shall just have to wait and see who got the timing right..........[/QUOTE]

In all honesty I think it still comes to who has the better exclusive titles. Sony arguably crushes it in this category.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6529763]In all honesty I think it still comes to who has the better exclusive titles. Sony arguably crushes it in this category.[/QUOTE]

Sure seems that way right now, can't remember the last major new I.P released on Xbox One.........

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6529741]It's possible that scorpio could outsell the pro but that's highly unlikely. edit[/QUOTE]
Well, you're right that the regular PS4 will likely still outsell the regular Xbox One which is important to note considering only 1 in 5 people currently purchase a PS4 Pro instead of the regular PS4.

But I feel like there's something to be said about Microsoft offering the more powerful upgraded console. People made a big deal about the regular PS4 being able to hit 1080p versus Xbox One hitting 900p with multiplatform games. Wouldn't Xbox Scorpio hitting true 4K versus PS4 Pro not really being able to do so have a similar impact (or does that kind of thing not matter anymore)?

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6529763]In all honesty I think it still comes to who has the better exclusive titles. Sony arguably crushes it in this category.[/QUOTE]
That's a fair reason, and also something that I agree with, but I was under the impression that multiplatform games sell more consoles than exclusives? Especially considering how Sony make a big deal about playing certain games (such as Destiny) first on PS4.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6529751]What games do you feel in combination would give the Scorpio such an appeal that it would outsell the PS4 Pro? Remember Scalebound, which imo may have been of a benefit if it had not been canceled, is no longer an option.[/QUOTE]
It's not really an easy question to answer because PlayStation and Xbox are different when you start talking about their games. PlayStation consoles offer more Japanese-developed games and a lot of the Xbox fans that I've talked to don't seem to care for Japanese games (with the exception of an IP like Resident Evil where co-op is supposedly very fun).

That said, you may think the problem is that there are more games to play on PS4 than Xbox One but then I'm curious to know if the majority of console owners, particularly in the U.S. and Europe, even play more Japanese games than western-developed games? My impression is most people (again, in the U.S. and Europe) want to play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield or something equally "mature and not for kids" by Ubisoft. Madden and FIFA seem like popular purchases too.

This also goes back to what I said in a previous post about multiplatform games being a seemingly bigger priority than exclusives (again, if this wasn't case, Sony wouldn't be making a big deal about playing certain games first on PS4).

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Price and power all matters. Its level of importance is what shifts as the generation goes on. Since you're comparing midgen consoles, it's a wait and see situation. The pro will probably have a year start over scorpio. The pro has sold a little over 2.5m with supply issue(as of Sony's last FY results). If they ramp up production and drop the price to combat the scorpio then it's not going to sell slower. Scorpio is still playing catch up to being down by 4.5m pros(rough estimate if sales trends continue).

Sony will have the price advantage. MS will have the power advantage. You can tell the difference between 900p vs 1080. As you move up towards 4k, rather it's checkerboard or native, it starts to become harder to see the difference. Especially if they aren't side by side. The OG xbox held a huge graphical difference over the ps2. That difference was bigger than the difference we'll see between pro vs scorpio. That didn't matter at all during that era.

If I had to pick then I'm going with Pro outselling Scorpio. The perception of each company is already set in stone this generation. MS will have to do one hell of a job to change things back in their favor. I simply don't think power alone is enough to do that. Sony still holds all the chips with marketing these 3rd party titles. MS would have to spend outrageous amounts of money to get the rights to destiny or call of duty or rockstar titles when they are down 30m units.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6529774]Price and power all matters. Its level of importance is what shifts as the generation goes on. Since you're comparing midgen consoles, it's a wait and see situation. The pro will probably have a year start over scorpio. The pro has sold a little over 2.5m with supply issue(as of Sony's last FY results). If they ramp up production and drop the price to combat the scorpio then it's not going to sell slower. Scorpio is still playing catch up to being down by 4.5m pros(rough estimate if sales trends continue).

Sony will have the price advantage. MS will have the power advantage. You can tell the difference between 900p vs 1080. As you move up towards 4k, rather it's checkerboard or native, it starts to become harder to see the difference. Especially if they aren't side by side. The OG xbox held a huge graphical difference over the ps2. That difference was bigger than the difference we'll see between pro vs scorpio. That didn't matter at all during that era. [/QUOTE]
From what I heard and read, checkerboarding is not without its drawbacks, namely artifacting and motion clarity. It can get close but never look as good as 4k. It will require more work from the developers. What people actually see is a different story. Sometimes it's hard to tell between 900p and 1080. Without those comparisons videos some people would never spot the differences.
If I had to pick then I'm going with Pro outselling Scorpio. The perception of each company is already set in stone this generation. MS will have to do one hell of a job to change things back in their favor. I simply don't think power alone is enough to do that. Sony still holds all the chips with marketing these 3rd party titles. MS would have to spend outrageous amounts of money to get the rights to destiny or call of duty or rockstar titles when they are down 30m units.
Anyone who buys a scorpio probably already knows those games are multiplatform. MS just needs to show they will have the best version. That's really the only marketing they need. Many people wanted 1080p over 900p. They will surely take native 4k over checkerboard.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6529771]It's not really an easy question to answer because PlayStation and Xbox are different when you start talking about their games. PlayStation consoles offer more Japanese-developed games and a lot of the Xbox fans that I've talked to don't seem to care for Japanese games (with the exception of an IP like Resident Evil where co-op is supposedly very fun).

That said, you may think the problem is that there are more games to play on PS4 than Xbox One but then I'm curious to know if the majority of console owners, particularly in the U.S. and Europe, even play more Japanese games than western-developed games? My impression is most people (again, in the U.S. and Europe) want to play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield or something equally "mature and not for kids" by Ubisoft. Madden and FIFA seem like popular purchases too.

This also goes back to what I said in a previous post about multiplatform games being a seemingly bigger priority than exclusives (again, if this wasn't case, Sony wouldn't be making a big deal about playing certain games first on PS4).[/QUOTE]
Yes, in the western part of the world there are a good number of people that are almost strictly into sports game or strictly into shooting games. If that's the case, then the Xbox consoles are great. Yes, I understand Microsoft had done a better job with the game line up not feeling like full blown sports games and shooting games, but they aren't there yet imo. I don't have any solid evidence, but imo when the world population is looked at the number of people that play a variety of genres and/or don't give 2 craps about sports games and shooter games are going to outnumber the amount of people that are strictly into sports games or strictly into shooter games. Sony provides more variety than Microsoft when game libraries are compared with all games considered. That variety is another reason why Microsoft continues to be at a disadvantage this gen. For example, while neither the PS4 or the Xbox One have performed well in Japan (since their population is much more into mobile gaming due to culture and life style), the Xbox Ones sales are borderline non-existent.

Last edited:

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Exclusives will definetly play a part in shifting number's, but for 'casual' users and I use the term loosely amongst my peer group tend to have Xbox's

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6529776]From what I heard and read, checkerboarding is not without its drawbacks, namely artifacting and motion clarity. It can get close but never look as good as 4k. It will require more work from the developers. What people actually see is a different story. Sometimes it's hard to tell between 900p and 1080. Without those comparisons videos some people would never spot the differences.[/QUOTE]

I can easily see the difference between 900p and 1080p. Best example is playing Call of Duty on the XB1 and then playing it on the PS4. You can immediately see the resolution differences. It is still ridiculous that the XB1 can not put out 1080p as the standard resolution....

Chekerboarding is amazing really. Unless you are standing directly in front of the screen you may not ever know it was using a checkerboarding effect. Although a true 4K image would be best.

Last edited: