Xbox Scorpio vs PS4 Pro

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6530338]Roughly 50% of pro supported titles are sub 4k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I can't wait till you find out Xbox One X will not be able to do native 4K on all their games.

You are so stuck on native 4K it is ridiculous. It is like that is all you have to defend the Xbox and for some reason you think the 4K on the PS4 looks bad. Go play Horizon on the PS4 Pro and shut the hell up already.

The damn XB1X isn't even out and you talk like it can do anything your mind thinks it can. Huh........now your name makes sense lol

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6530347]I can't wait till you find out Xbox One X will not be able to do native 4K on all their games.

You are so stuck on native 4K it is ridiculous. It is like that is all you have to defend the Xbox and for some reason you think the 4K on the PS4 looks bad. Go play Horizon on the PS4 Pro and shut the hell up already.

The damn XB1X isn't even out and you talk like it can do anything your mind thinks it can. Huh........now your name makes sense lol[/QUOTE]

You want some fries with that salt.
Of course I don't expect all to be 4K.

And I never said it looked bad, I said it wasn't 4K native.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rene2kx

Dedicated Member
Jan 23, 2011
Native 4k is a plus on the xbox one x but will it support hdr10 (or+) and what about frame rate, 4k60 or 4k30, im only talking about core games, with indie titles the xbox one x shouldnt have issues doing 4k60. sony's solution is checkerboard rendering which doesn't encode the frames in 3840 x 2160. i'm in the process of upgrading my tech gear this year to 4k , i've already begun doing it and native vs non native 4k does matter, on a large sized display panel (like a 4k oled) the difference would be noticeable.
Add to that the xbox one x also has built in 4k blu ray player and original xbox BC coming to it, and the price is approx. 100 usd more than the ps4 pro. i havent got either sony or ms consoles yet but when i make the jump, i think the xbox one x is looking the better proposition to me. i would still get the ps4 pro to play shenmue 3 when it drops (have to), but the xbox one x is looking tempting to me.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Instead of targeting 30FPS like on the other consoles, we’re targeting 60FPS for the Xbox One X. I would say most of the time for PS4 Pro you would be seeing 30FPS on PS4 Pro at 1080P, whereas with the Xbox One X you’re going to see double the frame rate at 1080P, 60FPS. We might even allow the frame rate to go higher than 60 FPS, but we’re still looking into that. Right now it’s actually uncapped but on a TV it’s not that useful [because they’re locked to 60Hz].

Previously on PS4 Pro, we had the option to choose between frame rate ([email protected]) and resolution ([email protected]). We removed it because it’s a better experience for the users now.

Because ours is a multiplayer game, the complexity on the screen can be very unpredictable. Variable resolution is something we introduced this year to try and stabilize the frame rate on lower PCs and consoles so that when people go into a huge base and someone’s got a hundred dinosaurs, the resolution scales down but the frame rate stays smooth.

We’re not targeting 4K resolution or anything like that, instead we’re targeting higher quality pixels.
http://wccftech.com/ark-dev-xb1x-like-gtx-1070/

It begins.....

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6530410]http://wccftech.com/ark-dev-xb1x-like-gtx-1070/

It begins.....[/QUOTE]
Oh this is have to see! That game runs like a dogs biscuit even on high spec PC's.

[video=youtube;3_nz75guMP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_nz75guMP8[/video]

When Ark had it's early access/Beta phase, i assumed they'd pump in a lot of optimisation patches to get it running well. This games frame-rate acts more like a speedometer, and the Devs seemingly (at least last time i checked) all focus on adding more content into the game. Instead of resolving what the hold up is with the engine.

Looking at it, i'd wager some of the issue is that they're not being efficient with the way they cull objects from render. If you look at the video, the GPU is pegged at full load almost the entire time.

That dev house needs to get a wriggle on. If the scorpio gives them the incentive they need, then cool beans. But man did it look(and play) ugly on the PS4/xb1 at launch!

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Ark is a giant turd of a game. Graphics are a damn joke too. I paid for the beta on the XB1 and regretted it immediately.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Genuinely curious about what it is they can't seem to resolve. It's been years (on PC at least). They're using UE4 and yet they seem to still have render troubles... surely resolving render issues on a slick engine (like UE4) can't be that hard(relatively speaking)? Or maybe UE4 is just finicky with open world titles?

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6530415]Genuinely curious about what it is they can't seem to resolve. It's been years (on PC at least). They're using UE4 and yet they seem to still have render troubles... surely resolving render issues on a slick engine (like UE4) can't be that hard(relatively speaking)? Or maybe UE4 is just finicky with open world titles?[/QUOTE]
I play an MMOARPG that came out back in 2012 that runs on UE3. The game is very very unoptimized. It can't handle a lot of people at once, so I wouldn't be surprised if UE4 is the same way in the sense that it sucks for making large scale titles with.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I know quite a few people that play it and they seem to love it, I gave it a go on the Xbox and immediately deleted it, I have to agree with Lethal here but each to their own!

Jun 4, 2007
:lol: at using Ark developers as some kind of fucking measuring stick.

Assassins Creed is checkerboard 4k on the xbone x.

:snicker "Pro isn't in xbone x class because it doesn't do true 4k." - Phil

Talk about getting snatched off a high horse.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6530468]:lol: at using Ark developers as some kind of $#@!ing measuring stick.

Assassins Creed is checkerboard 4k on the xbone x.

:snicker "Pro isn't in xbone x class because it doesn't do true 4k." - Phil

Talk about getting snatched off a high horse.[/QUOTE]

XB1X will be doing a lot of checkerboard in large scale games.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6530470]XB1X will be doing a lot of checkerboard in large scale games.[/QUOTE]

Except they arent in this case.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6530471]Except they arent in this case.

lol just wait and see.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Hey Digital Foundry can dissect the fuck out the demo all they want, untill we see side by sides and actual devs saying they are using checkerboard we are all just pissing into the wind.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6530473]Hey Digital Foundry can dissect the $#@! out the demo all they want, untill we see side by sides and actual devs saying they are using checkerboard we are all just pissing into the wind.

lmao! All of a sudden Digital Foundry is not valid to you? Right now, right now as we see it. Origins in running checkerboard 4k. That is a fact. We do not need a dev to say if it is checkerboarding. Either it is, or it isn't.

But I do hope they can pull off a native 4K image. I wouldn't mind taking full advantage of my sweet ass TV.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
The problem isn't checkerboard imo. The problem is Phil trying so hard to brag about xbone x power that he got caught with his pants down. He talks about true 4k then tells the devs that they can use the power however they want. You're going to get some games that aren't native 4k as a result. That puts them in the same boat, despite him saying otherwise, as the pro. They still have the stronger console but it's another case of MS talking too much.

AC:O devs were able to get a prettier on screen image using checkerboard than they could from going native 4k. It's the obvious answer because they would have to tone down some other features to make it native 4k and produced an imagine that wasn't as pretty.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6530477]The problem isn't checkerboard imo. The problem is Phil trying so hard to brag about xbone x power that he got caught with his pants down. He talks about true 4k then tells the devs that they can use the power however they want. You're going to get some games that aren't native 4k as a result. That puts them in the same boat, despite him saying otherwise, as the pro. They still have the stronger console but it's another case of MS talking too much.

AC:O devs were able to get a prettier on screen image using checkerboard than they could from going native 4k. It's the obvious answer because they would have to tone down some other features to make it native 4k and produced an imagine that wasn't as pretty.[/QUOTE]

nothing wrong with bragging. Sony did it with PS4. What's wrong with it now?

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6530478]nothing wrong with bragging. Sony did it with PS4. What's wrong with it now?[/QUOTE]
Mr. I can't tell the difference from 900p vs 1080p, this discussion taking place is far beyond your knowledge.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6530480]Mr. I can't tell the difference from 900p vs 1080p, this discussion taking place is far beyond your knowledge.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, I do think that was some games not all. But now look who is downplaying 4k. Remember when you said don't be mad at Sony because they have the 1080p console. I thinks it's time you take your own advice my friend. But hey, checkerboard 4k is better than no 4k right.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6530474]lmao! All of a sudden Digital Foundry is not valid to you? Right now, right now as we see it. Origins in running checkerboard 4k. That is a fact. We do not need a dev to say if it is checkerboarding. Either it is, or it isn't.

But I do hope they can pull off a native 4K image. I wouldn't mind taking full advantage of my sweet ass TV.[/QUOTE]

No Im saying, its early days, the devs have said they are using dyamic res, thats all they have admitted to. That doesnt mean the demo isnt using checkerboarding.

As an owner of 1080p TV Id still frankly prefer it went on a prettier image.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6530484]It is hard to see a difference. Unless your face is right next to your tv.[/QUOTE]

Hard to see but still a difference. Is this how it's going to be for the next 2 or 3 years? Sony already said ps4pro isn't built for native 4k. Why didn't they show off 4k games at e-3?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Meh, 6 vs 4, theres going to be a difference no matter what.

Having read what Phil said yesterday, he should just shut up.

Last edited:

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Seems MS is not differentiating between native, dynamic, or checkerboarding in the game labels.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

4K Ultra HD
"A game has a 2160p frame buffer output. That includes Native 4K, Checkerboarding, and Dynamic Resolution."

[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6530485]Hard to see but still a difference. Is this how it's going to be for the next 2 or 3 years? Sony already said ps4pro isn't built for native 4k. Why didn't they show off 4k games at e-3?[/QUOTE]

Still a difference. Yes. Not sure what you mean. PS4 Prod does 4k gaming, some native. Sony did show games capable of 4k at E3.

Last edited: