Xbox Scorpio vs PS4 Pro

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6530485]Hard to see but still a difference. Is this how it's going to be for the next 2 or 3 years? Sony already said ps4pro isn't built for native 4k. Why didn't they show off 4k games at e-3?[/QUOTE]

Does not matter if there is a difference. Resolution is still hitting 2160p. Differences would be so small nobody would see it while playing. Unless you take still frames and compare, you would never know the difference. It is a hell of a lot closer than the XB1 vs PS4 where the XB1 is mostly 900p in their games.

And Sony has native 4K games.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6530487]Seems MS is not differentiating between native, dynamic, or checkerboarding in the game labels.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

4K Ultra HD
"A game has a 2160p frame buffer output. That includes Native 4K, Checkerboarding, and Dynamic Resolution."
[/QUOTE]You just crushed Sub's dreams. Especially since he takes MS's word as law

It makes the Ps4Pro every bit of a "True 4k" console as the Xbone X.

Phil sticks his foot in his mouth once again.:lol:

edit:Look at Sub desperately trying to DJ the party. He's trying to ignore the fact that checkerboarding and dynamic resolution is what MS also considers True 4k.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Digital Spy[/URL].[/B]
House insisted this wasn’t misleading though, saying that, ‘I think that whatever the term is, it’s a question of whether people see a demonstrable difference in the game experience or not, rather than the term we use to apply to it.’

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/16/major...be-native-4k-says-sony-6132648/#ixzz4k18r3kh3
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6530493]You just crushed Sub's dreams. Especially since he takes MS's word as law

It makes the Ps4Pro every bit of a "True 4k" console as the Xbone X.

Phil sticks his foot in his mouth once again.:lol:

edit:Look at Sub desperately trying to DJ the party. He's trying to ignore the fact that checkerboarding and dynamic resolution is what MS also considers True 4k.[/QUOTE]
really now. Every bit? Come now you guys are getting salty because you know what the truth is and that's ps4pro games will be doing a lot of upscaling.

And its not because I said so. Sony is the one who said it. As Microsoft said, we will have fewer asterisks around 4k experience we deliver.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6530489]Does not matter if there is a difference. Resolution is still hitting 2160p. Differences would be so small nobody would see it while playing. Unless you take still frames and compare, you would never know the difference. It is a hell of a lot closer than the XB1 vs PS4 where the XB1 is mostly 900p in their games.

And Sony has native 4K games.[/QUOTE]

Then why did DF have to do videos to distinguish the difference on some xbox one and ps4 games? I think i see a bit of a double standard here.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6530497]Then why did DF have to do videos to distinguish the difference on some xbox one and ps4 games? I think i see a bit of a double standard here.[/QUOTE]

They don't. You can easily see the resolution differences between the PS4 and XB1. For instance you can see more on screen on the PS4 than the XB1. Slightly larger field of view. I noticed it right away when I was playing Black Ops 3 on my PS4 and then played on my XB1.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6530499]They don't. You can easily see the resolution differences between the PS4 and XB1. For instance you can see more on screen on the PS4 than the XB1. Slightly larger field of view. I noticed it right away when I was playing Black Ops 3 on my PS4 and then played on my XB1.[/QUOTE]
That's not the case for all games though. If it was that easy there probably wouldn't be video comparisons. The power gap between xbox one X and ps4pro is larger than the one between ps4 and xbox one. Sony has yet to speak about the power difference with ps4pro and xb1x the way MS did with xbox one and ps4. I guessing we will see less comparisons with the two latest consoles because I think DF is a bit biased for playstation. I still think it was a strategy move by Ms to give them the exclusive on the specs because they know they now have the edge in hardware.

Jun 4, 2007
Scorpio version should clearly look better than the pro's. Ubi will have to fuck them over to not show an advantage.

Either way, all this blowback is because of Phil running his mouth about true 4k. MS's description of true 4k ended up describing what the Ps4pro can also do.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Well any GPU could technically checkerboard. Its nothing special.
Hell you could checker board a 1080 image if you wanted to.
In fact didnt killzone do some somthing similar with its MP?

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6530509]Scorpio version should clearly look better than the pro's. Ubi will have to $#@! them over to not show an advantage.

Either way, all this blowback is because of Phil running his mouth about true 4k. MS's description of true 4k ended up describing what the Ps4pro can also do.[/QUOTE]

What blowback? I think you just love to put Phil down. What has he done to make you raving mad. Did he kick over your checkerboard? :p

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6530510]Well any GPU could technically checkerboard. Its nothing special.
Hell you could checker board a 1080 image if you wanted to.
In fact didnt killzone do some somthing similar with its MP?[/QUOTE]
I know it's not special in the sense of "only ___ can do it". I know why developers use the checkerboard method over native resolution.

Yeah, Killzone used it for mp iirc. Most people didn't know until it was pointed out to them and some even sued Sony. I'm not sure how that case went.

I'm simply pointing out how much Phil talks too much.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6530515]I know it's not special in the sense of "only ___ can do it". I know why developers use the checkerboard method over native resolution.

Yeah, Killzone used it for mp iirc. Most people didn't know until it was pointed out to them and some even sued Sony. I'm not sure how that case went.

I'm simply pointing out how much Phil talks too much
.[/QUOTE]

Do you really expect him to not to do PR for his product. Is he talking too much when gives Sony props? Sony reps were doing similar things before and after ps4 launched.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Look... PS4 Pro was/is better than the Xbox One. Xbox One X is better than the PS4/Pro... done. goodness. Xbox One X is the most power console. Done. Both can do 4k Native. Both can/will use other techniques; checkerboarding, blah blah..etc.

ffs ya'll lol. It's like my twins as infants arguing whose pacifier was better based on colors.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6530517]Look... PS4 Pro was/is better than the Xbox One. Xbox One X is better than the PS4/Pro... done. goodness. Xbox One X is the most power console. Done. Both can do 4k Native. Both can/will use other techniques; checkerboarding, blah blah..etc.

ffs ya'll lol. It's like my twins as infants arguing whose pacifier was better based on colors.[/QUOTE]
No ones arguing. I know which consoles is superior in relation to the others. I'm trying to figure out why he dislikes Phil so much. He doesn't like Phil but yet he has a photo of Don mattrick with his profile. So Two, I guess you preferred matrtrick over phil?

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6530520]No ones arguing. I know which consoles is superior in relation to the others.[/QUOTE]
I highly doubt that. Unless you pay no attention to what some other people type, you'd know that it's the games that make or break a console at the end of the day. Yes hardware wise the Scorpio thingie is the best, but game library wise that's yet to be told.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="FinalxxSin, post: 6530521]I highly doubt that. Unless you pay no attention to what some other people type, you'd know that it's the games that make or break a console at the end of the day. Yes hardware wise the Scorpio thingie is the best, but game library wise that's yet to be told.[/QUOTE]

No doubt about that. I never said all scorpio games will be 4k or no ps4pro games would be. There is no mandate for all games on scorpio to be native 4k. Phil has already stated this.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6530517]Look... PS4 Pro was/is better than the Xbox One. Xbox One X is better than the PS4/Pro... done. goodness. Xbox One X is the most power console. Done. Both can do 4k Native. Both can/will use other techniques; checkerboarding, blah blah..etc.

ffs ya'll lol. It's like my twins as infants arguing whose pacifier was better based on colors.[/QUOTE]

Does make for very entertaining reading though :lol:

Being serious though, I am the proud owner of a PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR TV and I love how the games look in 4K and HDR regardless if it's native or checkerboard etc. And I shall also be the proud owner of an Xbox One X when released, a bit of competition is a good thing and we should all just be happy that as gamers we are being spoilt for choice!