XP on one drive win 7 on 2nd???

grcswoosh

Master Poster
Oct 5, 2007
SoCal
I have winXP installed right now and I am wondering if I can install win7 on my second drive.

cpu: intel core duo 2
ram: 4gb
hds: sata (both)

i figure i can switch the boot order in bios when I want to switch between the two os's

so, does this sound plausible and if so can I even install the 64bit win 7 (my xp is 32bit) will this mess anything up?

One-Shot

Master Guru
Aug 5, 2007
Georgia
I know you can dual boot, never did before so I don't know how but it is possible. Just google it and you should get all the fancy ways how.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Yes it is possible I do it.
XP on my raptor
win 7 on an old 120GB IDE job.

When I boot up it asks me which version I want to use
windows 7 or "earlier version of windows" XP
Should do the same for you too.

HaTriX

Elite Guru
Sep 26, 2007
It will work perfectly fine. After the install, at the boot screen it will ask you which version of windows you want to use. Its as simple as that.

desolationw

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2008
As posted above, yes it will work. I setup mine last sunday night. Windows XP has been installed on my computer for a while on a 200gb hard drive. I added an old 80gb hard drive and installed Windows 7 on it.

Remember that old blue screen startup for installing XP where you had to format etc. Windows 7 uses the vista install method, where everything is mouse controlled and easier to navigate.

When it is done and you reboot, you will be shown the Windows 7 boot manager, which will contain 'Earlier version of Windows' and 'Windows 7' as your choices. When you choose 'Earlier version of Windows' it then loads the XP boot manager. My XP boot manager is edited to show for only 1 second, so when i choose 'Earlier version of windows' it instantly starts loading up XP.

I remember when i tried to dual boot a Vista and XP, don't know how i managed it but things went horribly wrong and i ended up with no access to either OS.

Don't worry about it, everything will be fine. :)

Jun 16, 2008
You don't need to change any settings, in case you havent done the dual boot yet =P, anyways, just install Windows 7 normally and remember to choose the 2nd hard drive and NOT the 1st.

have fun, Windows 7 feels a lot better whereas Vista feels a bit clunky

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Josephp22, post: 0]You don't need to change any settings, in case you havent done the dual boot yet =P, anyways, just install Windows 7 normally and remember to choose the 2nd hard drive and NOT the 1st.

have fun, Windows 7 feels a lot better whereas Vista feels a bit clunky[/quote]
I always unplug the hard drive(s) I dont want to install on so I pick the right one.