Your Black Friday & Cyber Monday Purchases?

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
It can be anything, it doesn't have to be game related. Some stores have started already and call it Black Week.

Here's what I've got so far:

Whetstone (grit & grain) 1000/6000 grit & a fixture. I've wanted to learn how to sharpen my own kitchen knives for a while now, so I got a cheap one to start learning with. It was about $40 (incl. tax, shipping was free).

Some movies (& a tv series season) on blu-ray: Die Hard 1-5 Box, Game of Thrones - Season 8, Glass, Ready or Not and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. It was about $60 (incl. tax and shipping that was $3) No super deals, but at least some of these where at their all time low.

I really need a new tablet. I have my eyes on some of the samsung tablets, mainly the low to medium range ones. But so far it's only the A 10.1, S4, and S6 that has shown up in the sales. The price for the S6 is a little bit too high (almost $640), imo. I think my maximum is around $400 for a mid/high range tablet, and around $200 for a low range tablet (like the A7).

So, what have you got so far and what are you keeping an eye on?

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I think it's less of a thing for us down this end, but i did pick up a tablet for my dad when we had our black Friday sale last week. Caught a glimpse of his current one when i was round my parents place a while back and the thing is dated (to put it kindly). Picked up a Tab S6 lite with pen and cover.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I think it's less of a thing for us down this end, but i did pick up a tablet for my dad when we had our black Friday sale last week. Caught a glimpse of his current one when i was round my parents place a while back and the thing is dated (to put it kindly). Picked up a Tab S6 lite with pen and cover.
Black Friday/Week has become quite big here in Sweden, most retailers do some kind of sale during this time. Unfortunately a lot of them doesn't really have any unique or extra good deals in these sales.

Yeah, my current tablet, a low end Huawei (that I got from my service provider), is in such a bad state that I almost can't use it for anything. The battery is completely shot, it drains the battery when I use certain apps (Twitch, YouTube for example) even when the charging cable is connected. If I don't have the charging cable connected the battery drains within a few minutes in a best case scenario. On top of that the screen is only 720p, there's only 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage in total. I really need a new one. I mainly use it for media apps, almost no gaming or creativity apps, so I guess I don't exactly need a high end tablet.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
I picked up The Outer Worlds, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and Days Gone for only $21 at Gamestop (traded in Marvel's Avengers that gave me $18 in credit).

I also bought Ghost of Tsushima on the PS Store. Got the Deluxe Edition.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I didn't get a new tablet, the ones I wanted the most wasn't included in this sale. Hopefully in the next big sale (here in Sweden) that starts in a few weeks, the end of the year sale. If I'm not lucky in that sale I'll probably just go for a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 or something like that.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Well, it's that time of the year again, so I guess I'll revive this thread again. Are you guys looking for something special this year, that might be included in the sale(s)?

Personally I don't have anything that I'm really trying to get this year (like the tablet last year), but I'm definitely going to look out for good deals on a few things that I want/need. I'm hoping that there might be good deals on (a spare) Dualsense controller, maybe a (1TB) SSD for the PS5, or some PC parts, movie and/or tv-series boxes or kitchen stuff and so on.

It has already started a little bit, some online stores has already started with the Black Week sale here.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I bought... a usb cable :ROFLMAO:

But no for real, got kinda tired during this lockdown draping myself off the end our our bed to charge my phone whilst still using it. Picked up a solid 3m cable for maximum potato energy lol.

Our 'black friday' this year was more of a 'black november' on account of lockdown tho. Store broke up their stock into four categories, and ran a sale for each one after the other so there was no rush to get things.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Trying to decide between Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 RAM, or waiting for DDR5 RAM to become available (currently out of stock everywhere). Also, looking to buy a M.2 SSD with heatsink that's at least 2TB. Deciding between the Samsung 980 EVO or a WD-Black SSD. Also, looking at various gaming monitors. Either a 2K monitor with 240mhz refresh rate or a 4K monitor with 144mhz refresh. Asus vs LG.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Trying to decide between Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 RAM, or waiting for DDR5 RAM to become available (currently out of stock everywhere). Also, looking to buy a M.2 SSD with heatsink that's at least 2TB. Deciding between the Samsung 980 EVO or a WD-Black SSD. Also, looking at various gaming monitors. Either a 2K monitor with 240mhz refresh rate or a 4K monitor with 144mhz refresh. Asus vs LG.
Kinda on the fence with a new monitor myself. But have no real justification outside of the occasional game of squad lol. Find it real hard sometimes to know which pixel is the angry ones with gun, and which are just a door, or rock!

With how new DDR5 is you might also pay the early adopters fee when, down the line, there's a clear 'best' type of DDR5 like we had with the Samsung B-dies with DDR4. I'd wager your GPU starts to cough and chug before the RAM does given the advancements that keep happening on the GPU side. But then again, RAM swap means motherboard swap, so might be a pain in the arse lol

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Kinda on the fence with a new monitor myself. But have no real justification outside of the occasional game of squad lol. Find it real hard sometimes to know which pixel is the angry ones with gun, and which are just a door, or rock!

With how new DDR5 is you might also pay the early adopters fee when, down the line, there's a clear 'best' type of DDR5 like we had with the Samsung B-dies with DDR4. I'd wager your GPU starts to cough and chug before the RAM does given the advancements that keep happening on the GPU side. But then again, RAM swap means motherboard swap, so might be a pain in the arse lol
Yeah, I'll probably just run 32GB Kingston Fury DDR4 RAM for the time being. Most of the benchmarks I've seen show little to no difference over DDR5 RAM at the moment. The Alder Lake chipset supports both DDR4 and DDR5, so I might just wait 2-3 years and upgrade after the technology has been out for a bit.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
So far I've only got a couple of things for the kitchen/cooking. A panini grill (is it called that in english?) Anyway, you can make grilled sandwiches and cook meat and other stuff with it. And a salt and pepper mill (the classic kind that you can set the degree of grinding). I got them for $125 (incl. tax and it was free shipping). No super deals, but pretty good, imo.

I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to get an SSD for my PS5. Right now I can get a WD Black SN850 1TB and buy a heat sink (that is confirmed to work with the PS5) for about $175. That is an ok deal, imo. But I'm not sure if I should get it now, I might wait until tomorrow to decide and see what the finale of Black Friday/Week brings to the table. So far there hasn't been any deals on Dualsense controllers for example.

I was also a bit tempted to buy some PC parts during the sale, but I think I'll wait and see what happens with what AMD's upcoming CPU's is going to be like (performance and price) and the whole GPU situation right now. There aren't many good options for pre-built PC's here (imo) so I'm leaning towards building myself. I was thinking of going AMD (CPU) this time, since it was the best bang for the buck, but now that might change.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Here's pictures of the the stuff I got in the sale so far (still have a chance to get something else since it's Cyber Monday today).

Salt & pepper mills.

Grill (closed).

Grill (open).

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Nice pick up! I really like the grill.
Yeah, I'm going to use it for the first time this weekend (friday/saturday). I hope it lives up to my expectations.

I also ordered some movies and TV-series, last minute of the sale. They should arrive here any day now. I decided to skip buying an SSD for my PS5, for now, I'm not in a hurry to get one at the moment.

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
Yeah, I'm going to use it for the first time this weekend (friday/saturday). I hope it lives up to my expectations.

I also ordered some movies and TV-series, last minute of the sale. They should arrive here any day now. I decided to skip buying an SSD for my PS5, for now, I'm not in a hurry to get one at the moment.
What movies and TV-Series did you get?

And there were some decent deals on SSD's over the weekend. The Samsung 980 EVO 2TB was only $319 + tax, although it was like $400 with a heatsink, which you need for the PS5. The Crucial and WD Black were also on sale, but the Crucial one isn't as fast as the Samsung.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
What movies and TV-Series did you get?

And there were some decent deals on SSD's over the weekend. The Samsung 980 EVO 2TB was only $319 + tax, although it was like $400 with a heatsink, which you need for the PS5. The Crucial and WD Black were also on sale, but the Crucial one isn't as fast as the Samsung.
I got: Akira Kurosawa Samurai Collection (blu-ray), Bad Boys Trilogy (blu-ray), The Drop (blu-ray), Gunpowder Milkshake (blu-ray), Monster Hunter (blu-ray), Vanguard (with Jackie Chan, blu-ray), Star Trek: The Original Series (blu-ray), The Strain - Complete Series (dvd).

Yeah, we got a pretty good deal on the WD SN850 1TB & 2TB here. The 1TB with a separate heatsink was $175 incl. tax and I think the 2TB was about $360 (including a separate heatsink) or something like that.