You're 5 greatest football (soccer) players of all time and ultimate team

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Duff-MaN_, post: 5607901]Do you think Zidane has achieved more than Messi? Even at 23 I know many that would argue that Messi has surpassed Zidane in terms of personal and team achievements.[/QUOTE]He has achieved more, but Messi still has a long career ahead of him. I think Messi is in a better position as well in this current climate in football.

Tibiquera

Superior Member
Oct 14, 2006
Five best are Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Messi, Garrincha.

Team would be a 4-4-2. From right to left:
Goal keeper: Yashin
Defense: Carlos Alberto Torres, Baresi, Maldini, Nilton Santos
Midfield: Garrincha, Beckembauer (in my team he's a midfielder), Pele, Messi
Attack: Puskas, Maradona

Duff-MaN_

Superior Member
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 5607907]He has achieved more, but Messi still has a long career ahead of him. I think Messi is in a better position as well in this current climate in football.[/QUOTE]

Good point, also as much as i admire Messi's pace and insane close dribbling etc I do miss players like Zidane and Bergkamp who could just humiliate players with pure mastery of the football

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
Well I put my top players already, but the dream team would be Juventus from a couple years back, before the scandals. I mean c'mon; the best goalkeeper in the world Buffon, the most undefeatable defence consisting of Thuram, Cannavaro etc, a damn tight midfield consisting of players like Nedved, and then the attacking players like the legendary Del Piero, Trezeguet and Imbrahimovic. That team was fucking gold!

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Duff-MaN_, post: 5607901]Do you think Zidane has achieved more than Messi? Even at 23 I know many that would argue that Messi has surpassed Zidane in terms of personal and team achievements.[/QUOTE]

Is that a serious question?

Zidane won the World Cup and European Champs back to back. In the space of 5 years he won EVERYTHING he played in. La Liga, WC, European Champs, World Player of the year 3 times in 5 years, Balloon D'or. He was the main point for that dominating French side and despite the quality in that Madrid team they relied on ZZ a heck of a lot.

That Volley against Levekusen IS a mastery in technical ability. Hitting a falling ball, side on, with your wrong foot and putting it into the top corner? There isn't really anything more difficult.

For me, Zidane is up there with Pele and Maradona. There is a HUGE gap before I consider Messi. He needs to win something, do something, carry his National team before I consider him even close to those 3.

Yes Messi is still young and his ability to glide past players is fantastic, but until he produces it regularly for Argentina, he can't touch those other 3.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5608268]Franco Baresi
Pele
Zidane
Rui Costa
Battistuta[/QUOTE]

Oohhh, nice had completely forgotten about him. 56 goals in 78 appearances for Argentina is bloody amazing.

Remember him being nigh on unstopptable at Fiorentina.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Kopkiwi, post: 5608283]Oohhh, nice had completely forgotten about him. 56 goals in 78 appearances for Argentina is bloody amazing.

Remember him being nigh on unstopptable at Fiorentina.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my list was based on the people I most enjoyed watching. I remember when Italian football wasn't the laughing stock of Europe (90's) and always watching Gazetta Football Italia on Channel 4 round my Dads (Juve supporter /spit). Guarantee every week he was popping up. That fiorentina team was a force!

Sleepy

Dedicated Member
Apr 2, 2011
Arizona
I have a problem with you guys putting players like Maradona and Pele and Beckenbauer on your lists. Were you guys even born yet when they were playing? I'm not putting those legends on my list because I wasn't fortunate enough of getting the opportunity too see them play. It doesn't seem right.:(

Last edited:

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5608296]Yeah my list was based on the people I most enjoyed watching. I remember when Italian football wasn't the laughing stock of Europe (90's) and always watching Gazetta Football Italia on Channel 4 round my Dads (Juve supporter /spit). Guarantee every week he was popping up. That fiorentina team was a force![/QUOTE]

Yep I would have to say fair enough inclusion. We used to get a fair amount of Serie A in the late 90s early 00s but not so much anymore.

He was fantastic to watch in his pump. 269 goals in 450 odd games? Amazing record.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="The Boy From School, post: 5608312]I have a problem with you guys putting players like Maradona and Pele and Beckenbauer on your lists. Were you guys even born yet when they were playing. I'm not putting those legends on my list because I wasn't fortunate enough of getting the opportunity too see them play. It doesn't seem right.:([/QUOTE]

You don't have to of seen someone live, or ben ALIVE to appreciate the skill and ability of someone. You can learn enough about a player through the media, by that I mean interviews, highlights and with replays of matches. Search hard enough and you can find replays of dam near every Maradona and Pele match. HEck just watch the Brazil 1970 team and you can pick Pele based on that. 1986 World CUp and you have a fair indication of what Maradona was capable of.

Duff-MaN_

Superior Member
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Kopkiwi, post: 5608265]Is that a serious question?

Zidane won the World Cup and European Champs back to back. In the space of 5 years he won EVERYTHING he played in. La Liga, WC, European Champs, World Player of the year 3 times in 5 years, Balloon D'or. He was the main point for that dominating French side and despite the quality in that Madrid team they relied on ZZ a heck of a lot.

That Volley against Levekusen IS a mastery in technical ability. Hitting a falling ball, side on, with your wrong foot and putting it into the top corner? There isn't really anything more difficult.

For me, Zidane is up there with Pele and Maradona. There is a HUGE gap before I consider Messi. He needs to win something, do something, carry his National team before I consider him even close to those 3.

Yes Messi is still young and his ability to glide past players is fantastic, but until he produces it regularly for Argentina, he can't touch those other 3.[/QUOTE]

World player of the year 3 times in a row, top scorer in champs league. That volley against levekuzen was spectacular and he was an incredible player but messi is better. Also why are pele and maradonna the established top two? Are best and garrincha not as good?

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Duff-MaN_, post: 5608371]World player of the year 3 times in a row, top scorer in champs league. That volley against levekuzen was spectacular and he was an incredible player but messi is better. Also why are pele and maradonna the established top two? Are best and garrincha not as good?[/QUOTE]

Mine wasn't in a particular order. I would probably include Best in the top top echelon of players.

Sorry but Messi isn't close to what Zidane has achieved. Remove Messi from that Barca team and it probably still walks La Liga and the CL, remove Zidane from Madrid and it doesn't win either.

Messi hasn't done ANYTHING, ANYTHING at International Level. If what Messi has achieved for Barca is enough to consider him up with the absolute bestn then Gerrard is up there too. Even ahead given he has single handidly won everything for Liverpool bar the League.

Sorry but I don't think cleaning up with your club team that is full or World Cup winners is sufficient for 'one of all time great' status when you've done naff all at International level, in what is a pretty impressive National team. In fact, based on the Copa America Kun is more important to Argentina.

Duff-MaN_

Superior Member
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Kopkiwi, post: 5608380]Mine wasn't in a particular order. I would probably include Best in the top top echelon of players.

Sorry but Messi isn't close to what Zidane has achieved. Remove Messi from that Barca team and it probably still walks La Liga and the CL, remove Zidane from Madrid and it doesn't win either.

Messi hasn't done ANYTHING, ANYTHING at International Level. If what Messi has achieved for Barca is enough to consider him up with the absolute bestn then Gerrard is up there too. Even ahead given he has single handidly won everything for Liverpool bar the League.

Sorry but I don't think cleaning up with your club team that is full or World Cup winners is sufficient for 'one of all time great' status when you've done naff all at International level, in what is a pretty impressive National team. In fact, based on the Copa America Kun is more important to Argentina.[/QUOTE]

Im not trying to say messi has more medals than zidane, im saying that he is a better player than zidane.

Argentina don't need to win the world cup for messi to be great.

-Shafty-

overstepping the mark
Sep 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Kopkiwi, post: 5608265]Is that a serious question?

Yes Messi is still young and his ability to glide past players is fantastic, but until he produces it regularly for Argentina, he can't touch those other 3.[/QUOTE]
This man gets it.

Messi is the best player in the world right now,and by a mile. But he isnt an all time great.
Not until he produces it on the world stage.

Duff-MaN_

Superior Member
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="T0PGUN, post: 5608884]This man gets it.

Messi is the best player in the world right now,and by a mile. But he isnt an all time great.
Not until he produces it on the world stage.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree, for one Messi isn't the best in the world by a mile. Xavi is either as good or very close. He is an all time great though (as is xavi), his champions league record proves this, is the champions league not a world stage? Messi deserves all the plaudits he gets.

desolationw

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Kopkiwi, post: 5607334]Come on guys. Messi isn't in the top 5 yet. Playing at a club that is full of stars, play him at International level, he goes missing.

Anyway, all subjective I guess.

Top 5.

1. Pele
2. Zidane
3. Maradona
4. Cruyff
5. Best
(6) Dalglish :mrgreen:

An all star team is friggin hard.

So am just going to go based on the last 20 years.

----------------------Buffon-------------------
Cannavaro------------Stam---------------A.Cole
Figo--------Zidane----------Cantona-----Nedved
--------------------Bergkamp-------------------
--------------Henry----------Del Piero----------

Was a toss up between Del Piero and Shevchenko (AC Milan days)

Little short on defence I know, but I am of the opinion that if you have possession players who hold the ball, defending wont be an issue :lol:[/QUOTE]

Based on the last 20 years I would have Roberto Carlos well ahead of Ashely Cole, swap Cantona for Redondo... everything else is solid :D

Mar 11, 2009
Charlotte,NC
@OP Pele isn't on your list.. I don't know much about soccer.. But I do know one thing not having Pele on your G.O.A.T list is like not having michael jordan on your G.O.A.T basketball player list..

Duff-MaN_

Superior Member
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="I_Luv_2_Game, post: 5608918]@OP Pele isn't on your list.. I don't know much about soccer.. But I do know one thing not having Pele on your G.O.A.T list is like not having michael jordan on your G.O.A.T basketball player list..[/QUOTE]

Pele was a fantastic player, however in that Brazil team I believe there was a better player called Garrincha. Thats not to say I would disagree with anyone including Pele if thats there choice its just in my opinion there have been better players.

Also my only experience of Michael Jordan was watching space jam so i cant really comment too much about that.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Duff-MaN_, post: 5608887]I have to disagree, for one Messi isn't the best in the world by a mile. Xavi is either as good or very close. He is an all time great though (as is xavi), his champions league record proves this, is the champions league not a world stage? Messi deserves all the plaudits he gets.[/QUOTE]

Yes the Champions League is a world stage, but it's also an absolute joke of a competition. You only need to look at this years QF and SF. Last seasons United team was probably their weakest for 10-15 years. Yet it thumped a team that destroyed last years winners and made the final.

Nov 16, 2008
[QUOTE="Kopkiwi, post: 5609327]Yes the Champions League is a world stage, but it's also an absolute joke of a competition. You only need to look at this years QF and SF. Last seasons United team was probably their weakest for 10-15 years. Yet it thumped a team that destroyed last years winners and made the final.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sep 11, 2007
Philly
Actually it's not a world stage, it's a European stage ;). And Kiwi not too sure we want to be calling it a joke when we flaunt 5 times lol.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I obviously know Europe is pretty much the world in football.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Shibby, post: 5609478]Actually it's not a world stage, it's a European stage ;). And Kiwi not too sure we want to be calling it a joke when we flaunt 5 times lol.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I obviously know Europe is pretty much the world in football.[/QUOTE]

Been a joke since about 2001.

IMO, they need to go back to the original format. League CHAMPIONS only. At most 2nd place as well.

Kopkiwi

Power Member
May 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Shibby, post: 5609509]Won't happen. The longer the competition, the more advertising money, the more revenue, etc. UEFA too greedy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. Sad really. As it's taken away some the excitement of it when you can guarantee your big teams are ALWAYS going to get through.

Duff-MaN_

Superior Member
Jun 20, 2007
[QUOTE="Shibby, post: 5609478]Actually it's not a world stage, it's a European stage ;). And Kiwi not too sure we want to be calling it a joke when we flaunt 5 times lol.

Edit: before anyone says anything, I obviously know Europe is pretty much the world in football.[/QUOTE]

I knew someone would say that :) the world cup final to be fair only featured european players whereas the champions league final had players from europe, south america and asia.