Yup, it's down again lol

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6501614]I would go with them but it's impossible because Nynex never laid the cable here 20 years ago.

They were not always this good, it took them a few years to repair their bad rep especially among gamers. They often routed people via USA to connect to servers in London so they had a ping of 180-200 instead of about 30. Steam wouldn't connect, slow downloads. Restricted speed if went over your data cap poor customer service and sometimes flat out refused to acknowledge the problems even when professional network experts sent them their findings and that Virginia were at fault.[/QUOTE]

When I used to live at my parents house they got VM in 2007 and they have never had any issue with it. Before that we had Tesco broandband, it was only a couple more pounds with Virgin and we could have better internet and TV.

I have sinced moved out in about 2009 and have Virgin here. They said they a couple of years ago that VM was going to have a price increase, so I rang them up and told them I was going to leave. They then started to give me offers and I kept saying no, in the end they gave me a price I simply could not refuse.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
What I was speaking of was around 10 years ago and about half a dozen clan mates were having issue after issue for months. It git solved and they are still with them and since then there has been no problems at all. Every so often they post updates that virgin are giving them a speed boost for free.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Yes before the merger they were basically a sitting duck.

It was all local companies before they all merged to become Virgin Media.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
I must be lucky on this PSN thing, I always seem to missed the short outages but benefit from the extra time Sony gives out as 'apologies'.
Overall plus is pretty pants though. ....

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I would love the 200MB Virgin Broadband but it's not available in my area yet so went with BT's 76mbps line, have to admit I have been with BT for years and I can't really fault them, plus their sports service has live games from the Aviva Rugby Premiership :D

Oh and the MotoGP

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Ever since we were on Freeserve dial up in the late nineties we haven't had a different ISP.

Went from Freeserve to Telewest>BlueYounder>Virgin

TapaTalking from my Mind.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6501669]Ever since we were on Freeserve dial up in the late nineties we haven't had a different ISP.

Went from Freeserve to Telewest>BlueYounder>Virgin

TapaTalking from my Mind.[/QUOTE]

Ah dial up, was fine until someone else wanted to use the phone :lol:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Did any of you experience Steam on dial up? It was a nightmare.
At least 5 minutes to download steam itself. After installing you think you were done, but nope you then had another 15-20 to download the updates to steam which often failed, then when it finally worked you had to Update HL or CS which took the rest of the day (that's if it hadn't failed on you part way through, usually at least50%) even if you installed from the CD.
7KB per second.

Last edited: