Zelda needs to be taken to the next level....

Martijn_

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2007
I'm not talking about HD graphics, the content needs to change. For over a decade the franchise has bin standing still. Yes they changed styles, wind waker was cartoon, twilight princess realistic. But the content remained the same. The same gameplay, link swings his sword the same way since oot, it wouldn't hurt the game to give him some more moves.

Next is a discussion many agree and many disagree, adding voices. Adding voices to characters would help the story in such a great way, even if Link doesn't say a word in the whole game, having the other characters speak will lift up the story in a big way. And believe it or not gamers will be more in the story then reading the endless boxes of text. Nintendo needs to stop being so scared for it and make excuses to not put it in. The game needs it.

As much as I look forward to the remake of OOT and Skyward Sword, I feel Nintendo should take Zelda to the next level, at least for the next home console. It won't take much changes to make the franchise so much better. If not it will be inevitable that Zelda will fall from it's golden status.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
I agree, the series is just rehash after rehash. I think Windwaker is fine though, as it actually changed up the formula some and had some originality. That's what we need, we need a new Zelda that actually tries something new again.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Playing through Windwaker at the moment, absolutely love the game.
Reading the text doesn't bother me and the fighting is just Zelda, it is what it is.
Sure they could step it up, but if it isn't broken...

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="BoyBettaKnow, post: 5413216]Playing through Windwaker at the moment, absolutely love the game.
Reading the text doesn't bother me and the fighting is just Zelda, it is what it is.
Sure they could step it up, but if it isn't broken...[/QUOTE]

I <3 Windwaker, and despite what all the Zelda fanboys say, I think it's the best 3D Zelda. Sailing the ocean and discovering new islands, plus those beautiful cell-shaded graphics just make for a grand game.

G

GMOESAF

[QUOTE="Martijn_, post: 5413153]I'm not talking about HD graphics, the content needs to change. For over a decade the franchise has bin standing still. Yes they changed styles, wind waker was cartoon, twilight princess realistic. But the content remained the same. The same gameplay, link swings his sword the same way since oot, it wouldn't hurt the game to give him some more moves.

Next is a discussion many agree and many disagree, adding voices. Adding voices to characters would help the story in such a great way, even if Link doesn't say a word in the whole game, having the other characters speak will lift up the story in a big way. And believe it or not gamers will be more in the story then reading the endless boxes of text. Nintendo needs to stop being so scared for it and make excuses to not put it in. The game needs it.

As much as I look forward to the remake of OOT and Skyward Sword, I feel Nintendo should take Zelda to the next level, at least for the next home console. It won't take much changes to make the franchise so much better. If not it will be inevitable that Zelda will fall from it's golden status.[/QUOTE]

i agree 100% if i want to read ill pick up a book thanks,

MrFenwick

Elite Sage
Feb 7, 2007
Tehachapi, CA
www.drippyink.com
Personally I've been tired of Zelda games. I think the last one I played and enjoyed was Windwaker. Seems to happen with others games too. They get stuck on what works and are afraid to venture out into new territory. We have your RPGs, your FPS' and other mainstream games but the ones people like, remember the longest seem to be the ones pushing boundaries and doing something different. Zelda, Metal Gear, Mario and a few others are in our minds because they've been around forever. Its just time for some change. Not a lot, just something to get old gamers back into them and get the new generation excited about it.

Personally I miss the difficulty and challenge that games had back in the 8-bit, 16-bit era. Today they cater them to be easy to pick up, easy to play and beatable in 10 hours. And now with the Wii, Move, Kenect... Gah.

But Zelda needs a shot of adrenaline. Seriously.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Personally, I want 2D top-down Zelda back AKA 3D Dot Game heroes.

It falls into the bucket of several games I wish would be remade, but expanded several times beyond their original scope.

In the Zelda example I wish a link to the past was redone, still in 2D (Fixed 3D like Pokemon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum/Heart Gold/Soul Silver could work too if done properly with cell shading) but much bigger. Expand the tools and weapons, create better options for controlling weapons, and add many more dungeons. Make the game last anywhere from twice to ten times longer.

Now addressing voice acting in Zelda... as a fan of the series and stories behind the game I feel as though this is something that, if approached, should be done very cautiously. Adding voices for the sake of voices can be horrible. Part of the Zelda's charm has been it's narrative ambiguity. I've always enjoyed narrating the voices inside my head and not allowing a voice actor to overly define a character.

While this is fine in most games... most games have either always been voice acted, or only briefly had a period where there was no voice acting. Zelda spans dozens of games with the same characters featured throughout. It's the same case as when book is given a movie adaptation. It may or may not destroy what I defined the character as and end up ruining the experience for me.

I feel Skyward Sword is taking Zelda in the right direction. There's supposed to be very good motion control integration that supposedly takes full advantage of motion plus. If the accuracy of Wii Sport Resort's sword play is any indication of how the sword may be controlled then colour me excited.

The only change I feel that should be necessary is the difficulty. However, because the market is very dynamic there's a good way this can be handled. A unique difficulty slider. Not only change how hard the monster are to kill, or how hard it is to stay alive but remap the puzzles. Each puzzle would be different and this would be more difficult to achieve but I think it would work extremely well in regards to catering towards all demographics.

Allow the difficulty to be changed at any time, but if done mid-dungeon, the dungeon must be reset or in the very least the room. All the content would be the same but the puzzle would be more difficult to solve. This way both sides win.

I'm not against change, I just feel like Zelda shouldn't be broken. Anything done must be baby steps, not pushing it down a hill without any training wheels.

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
Well Skyward Sword is actually supposed to be switching things up a bit, and not just in regards to Wii motion plus implementation. Apparently the way the overworld and dungeon areas are represented are going to be more seamless as opposed to "this section" is overworld and "this section" is dungeon and I can see that expanding to cities and towns too. Although that could be the interesting point in all of this as apparently Link descends to region we've seen in the demonstrations from some region up high, so we'll see.

Voices, I don't mind if they are kept or otherwise. I've never had a problem with Link being mute or the NPCs being sound effect babbling ninnies. If there is any change I want to see in the series is having enemies with the kind of resolve that Gannondorf had in Wind Waker. He seemed more human in his actions as opposed to being the evil guy you have to defeat because he's evil. In fact, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are two of my favorites precisely because of how much more involved the characters are and the kind of thinking that goes into what is the motivation behind their actions other than just striving for power or being stationary NPCs. The whole Kafei and Anju quest in Majora's Mask is really trafic when you think about it because of the actions over the three days that you go through to help bring them together just hours before the moon is set to destroy the world on the final day.

I'm hopeful for Skyward Sword though from a design perspective if what they're proposing holds true in the end product.

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
I'm going to have to disagree with you. A change is not always a good thing to go for (Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider..etc) The probability for a franchise to go downhill is higher when it changes and less when it stays the same.
And I'm going to disagree even more with you regarding the voice acting. Voiceless world what makes Zelda special. I'd never want to get rid of the characters mumbling when they try to say something.