Celebrating a successful introduction with the launch of NBA ’07 on the PlayStation 3, Sony Computer Entertainment America’s San Diego Studio introduced a next-generation basketball experience that delivered smooth, ultra-realistic basketball action.
For the first time in any console sports title, NBA ’07 incorporated true 1080p high definition at 60 frames per second (fps) to provide detailed, lifelike graphics and the most engaging gameplay available. This year, NBA ’08 continues to improve on this next-gen hoops formula by further pushing the graphical envelope as well as adding a host of new features and innovative gameplay functionality.
To complement the fast-paced basketball action, NBA ’08 introduces an all-new progression system where players earn skill and experience rewards that can be used to thoroughly customize player appearance and play styles. With an upgraded control system from last year that utilizes broader SIXAXIS functionality, gamers can engage in all-new and comprehensive gameplay movement on and off the ball.
Also for this year, character models are updated with new animations, more dynamic movement, and new skin textures to give them a more realistic look. Additionally, the user interface has been significantly revamped to incorporate a retro NBA look and feel – from the menus down to the loading screens. To submerse gamers in a true basketball atmosphere, NBA ’08 introduces for the first time a comprehensive and in-depth audio commentary with top broadcast talent.
With a fully reworked user interface, revamped character models and environments, and a robust online system with player profiles and quick play options, NBA ’08 is set to push the envelope for NBA action and bring an unparalleled basketball experience to the PS3.
• All-New Progression System – NBA ’08 introduces a new system of rewarding players for game exploration and advancement by providing numerous customizable player options. As gamers play NBA ’08, they will be challenged to complete tasks and goals that will earn experience. In turn, experience can be used to customize characters and show them off as status symbols of game achievement. Reaching higher profile levels will grant access to better gear and unlockable content, and players will be able to house awards in a virtual trophy room.
• Greater Online Accessibility – Utilizing an online hub where players can readily share game features and data, NBA ’08 provides a streamlined approach for online basketball gaming. For this year, gamers will be able to participate in a social environment where they can easily show off custom created players and gain access to streaming NBA video, player-created pages, and improved leaderboards.
• NBA Replay Mode – Back to test the skills of the most hardcore NBA fans, “NBA Replay” is once again available for players to re-enact great performances from the ’06 -’07 season and work through the entire past season’s worth of memorable gameplay scenarios.
• NBA Replay (Games of the Week) – Returning with an all-new set of upcoming highlight-reel plays, “Games of the Week” will allow players to download five scenarios each week involving real NBA games from the upcoming ’07 -’08 season and attempt to replay those magical moments within the game.
• Brand New Full Audio Commentary – NBA ’08 now delivers the sights and sounds of an NBA broadcast to the user with authentic play-by-play and in-depth color commentary. Newly incorporated audio, cut scenes, and UI elements blend together to transport gamers into a slick and organic NBA-themed world.
• Enhanced Gameplay and A.I. – In addition to the core fundamentals of gameplay, NBA ’08 improves on team gameplay elements. Offensive and defensive player positioning is more authentic, where players space themselves correctly on offense and defenders react more realistically to shots, layups, and shifts in offense. Passing and catching is revamped to reward users with good shots when a quality pass is made. Additionally, a new game management system requires player strategy to determine play calling, when and who to substitute, and when to call a timeout.
• Greater SIXAXIS Controls – Expanded SIXAXIS functionality provides an all-new and deeper set of control options including specific dribbles as well as high and low offensive and defensive moves.
• Expanded Character Movement – A new contact mechanism takes into account a player’s momentum when pushing into one another, introducing a “physical” (as opposed to finesse) game play mechanic. Additionally, more emphasis is placed on off ball play, where gamers use skills to improve team abilities including reaction time and attention to passing ... (continued on next page)
- Page 1
- Page 2