EA introduces three new Need For Speed titles
- Posted January 30th, 2009 at 15:52 EDT by
- 43 Comments
It's starting to look as though Electronic Arts has no plans to scrap their recently poorly selling Need for Speed franchise, as the publisher has just announced three new titles in the series. Each title will release on a different consoles, with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 sharing Need for Speed Shift. According to Kevin Munro, VP of Marketing at EA, this new strategy of developing different types of games across several platforms will help keep the franchise fresh.
- Need for Speed Shift (PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PSP) -- A "hardcore racing simulation" overseen by Black Box executive producer Michael Mann, and Patrick Soderlund, the co-founder of DICE and current senior vice president of EA Games Europe. External developer Slightly Mad Studios will be responsible for putting a realistic spin on the franchise.
- Need for Speed Nitro (Wii, DS) -- As you might expect, this one will feature a "unique visual style," courtesy of EA Montreal. Nitro promises to take full advantage of the unique controls on offer for both platforms, but without sacrificing depth. According to Munro, "We do not want to fall into the trap of creating a 'Need for Speed Lite.'
- Need for Speed World Online (PC) -- Jointly developed by Black Box and EA Shanghai, this free-to-play online racer is set to launch in Asia this Summer, with a North American release slated for next Winter.
Apparently, you can expect Shift and Nitro to hit retail shelves during Fall 2009. So much for escaping the drag of yearly installments.
- 10:57am EST - January 30th, 2009
another flop..lol..gud way to spend money for nothing..just give the need for speed series to criterion..!!!
- 11:07am EST - January 30th, 2009
you cant deny it looks good. thing is weve been saying that for the last 3 games. once again, maybe this one will be different. again, love the site revamp psu.
- 11:08am EST - January 30th, 2009
this Shift game is looking like GRID, i didn't buy grid but it was alright.
Oh and i like the new look of PSU, Good job guys!!!!!
- 11:11am EST - January 30th, 2009
wow i like the new look of the site!!
- 11:13am EST - January 30th, 2009
time will only tell.. and yes the sight is more apealing.
- 11:16am EST - January 30th, 2009
lol omg 3 new titles?? wow EA, have you not learned from your mistakes in the past couple horribly made games? and now ur gonna tackle 3 simultaneously? LOL good luck with that.
btw, site revamp is PIMPIN' lol. i came here and was like "WOAH! me likey! :)"
- 11:18am EST - January 30th, 2009
why god why
Perishing_Mind | Ernad_BMW
- 11:28am EST - January 30th, 2009
I could see "Shift" being quite good, but Nitro and Online are going to end up being a total crash just like Undercover.
- 11:31am EST - January 30th, 2009
I don't need any of these titles... I have BURNOUT PARADISE.
- 11:38am EST - January 30th, 2009
they messed need speed up when hey started putting a storyline in to it then they ketp jumping from having the cops and not having the cops undergrond was the beginng of the end.
- 11:41am EST - January 30th, 2009
well first the 3 games are all being made by 3 different studios, so it doesn't really matter that they're doing 3 games, because they each have nothing to do with one another other then their title
- 12:12pm EST - January 30th, 2009
hmmm i might buy neither... but love the new look
- 12:17pm EST - January 30th, 2009
awesome new look psu !!!
- 12:18pm EST - January 30th, 2009
I think it does keep it fresh, and cant wait to see more. PSU webpage looks different or is it just me
- 12:30pm EST - January 30th, 2009
I don't know if that's what people want. Honestly, NFS has shifted (ha, pun intended) styles so drastically that I believe is the reason they've fallen in sales. The series was started and best known for its mix of fast arcade gameplay with just enough realism to keep it grounded yet still fun. Then it merged into just street racing style gameplay with Underground and then with prostreet it shifted to almost a Gran Turismo style racer and finially back to street racing with slight flavours of the original fast arcade experience thrown in.
Now EA wants to scrap it all and go with realism? I hope for their sake they mean in the vain of DiRT & GRID and not Gran Turismo. If that is the case they've got their work cut out for them! Codemasters has hit the perfect spot between arcade and realism and it's going to be hard to beat them at their game.
I believe that EA should take the game back to it's roots of fast, fun and yet realistic enough not to look silly racing... erm then... I think of Burnout... which I highly doubt they'll top. Huh... is the series doomed to run into incredibly stiff competition where ever it turns? Honestly, one end of the spectrum you've got Gran Turismo and the other Burnout with DiRT/GRID smack in the middle.... where does NFS fit in these days?
BTW - Amazing job with the redesign guys! The site looks incredible.
- 12:33pm EST - January 30th, 2009
Nearly their EA, all you have to do now is move "hardcore racing simulation" onto the streets.Throw in a day/night cycle, a cool map, all the old race modes from nfsu2(playable online) and the an improved version of the custmisation from nfs.carbon(all in 1080p) and you have a great game ;D
Thats for shift anyway, i'd give up on the pc version now...
lordAlucard | sympozium_666
- 12:55pm EST - January 30th, 2009
lol triple the agony of horrible games oh dear. I really hope Shift is a solid racer
- 1:31pm EST - January 30th, 2009
I don't care how good the screen shots are if the game is crap. I don't think EA has any concept of realistic, so Shift will be a disappointment to those of us who are really looking forward to GT5.
- 1:36pm EST - January 30th, 2009
Three? Hmm ... sounds like they're milking far too much out of this franchise too me..
- 1:59pm EST - January 30th, 2009
a need for speed simulator=EPIC FAIL, it is an arcade franchise keep it that way, leave the simulator to Gran Turismo
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!