More Dante's Inferno details unleashed
- Posted February 16th, 2009 at 17:42 EDT by
- 25 Comments
It's billed as Dead Space meets God of War, with controls that feel mighty similar to the latter. Still, Electronic Arts may have quite the gem on their hands with this unique/generic IP (depending on how you want to look at it). Future Publishing's PSM3 has revealed further details on the legendary lore and gameplay mechanics that may interest initially apathetic gamers in the title.
- The game runs at a solid 60FPS and is brought to life by the excellent animations of its enemies and protagonist.
- Dante Aligheri, the Florentine poet that the game is based upon, has been turned into a “muscular six foot knight with magic powers” to suit the tone of the game. Dante is fighting his way through Hell to save his lost love Beatrice, who has been murdered and wrongly sent to the underworld.
- One of the first boss encounters takes place in “Limbo," an area of lost souls who are agonizingly close to God but can never reach Him due to a life of non-believing. It’s here that Dante fights Death himself and steals his magical scythe before plunging into the underworld.
- The game shares the exact same control scheme as God of War, even down to Circle being used to open chests.
- The game's artist Wayne Barlowe was chosen because of his work on Barlowe’s Inferno, a collection of images based on Dante’s poem.
- Structurally, the game is designed to take the player through the nine circles of Hell. The first circle, Limbo, is where you will encounter Death and moving through the world areas get more horrific. Circle 5, “The Wrathful," is where violent people are forced to endlessly fight each other. The game will culminate in Circle 9, presumably with a massive boss fight against Beelzebub himself.
While all of this seems promising, it's hard to judge at this point. It all comes down to execution. In case you may have missed the game's spine-tingling VGA 2008 trailer, we've included it below.
- 12:45pm EST - February 16th, 2009
- 12:46pm EST - February 16th, 2009
- 12:47pm EST - February 16th, 2009
How can I kill that which is already dead? pass
- 1:00pm EST - February 16th, 2009
This game will be dumb ill alrdy say it here
lordAlucard | sympozium_666
- 1:15pm EST - February 16th, 2009
@ 1, 3, 4 Fail / This game looks promising the 9 circles of h3ll system is an great & unique idea though it would need to be executed correctly or Dante's Inferno will ultimately become another mediocre game
- 1:29pm EST - February 16th, 2009
wasnt dante some guy off devil may cry? not one for these games myself am more of a blow up walls and shoot germans kinda guy :D
- 1:32pm EST - February 16th, 2009
- 1:44pm EST - February 16th, 2009
This i am looknig foward to, a chance to rome through h3ll and smack the heck out of the inhabatants.
- 2:15pm EST - February 16th, 2009
Sounds really cool. If it plays like God of War, then that would be pretty awesome and fighting demons in h3ll also sounds pretty awesome. Will keep my eye on this.
- 2:17pm EST - February 16th, 2009
Certainly a game to keep an eye on. I really enjoyed the book and think making it into a game would be very interesting.
- 2:29pm EST - February 16th, 2009
nice! WELCOME TO H3LL !!!
- 2:57pm EST - February 16th, 2009
- 3:58pm EST - February 16th, 2009
i dont think the media or christians are going to like this..
- 4:57pm EST - February 16th, 2009
If this is what they put out to get people excited then they don't have much to work with.
- 6:58pm EST - February 16th, 2009
a God of War game based on Dante's Inferno?
pretty much wat it is. i think i might like it.
- 8:49pm EST - February 16th, 2009
It has a unique storyline but im pretty sure EA wont be able to execute the game as well as the GOW series. Especially (if im not mistaken) this is their first shot at a platformer like this..
- 9:54pm EST - February 16th, 2009
I'll pass on this one!
- 10:34pm EST - February 16th, 2009
seriously this story is epic! im interested in the game its just that im scared of a horrible failure! i just hope they make this right!
- 1:33am EST - February 17th, 2009
Can I have a link next time you decide to straight up C+P my original article?
- 3:12am EST - February 17th, 2009
ok, that 'limbo' place is reallly freaking me out...... cos i'm a non believer!! nooooooo!! but is dante there to save us or is he there to kill us??? someone PLEASE tell me!!!! PLEASE!!
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!