UK PS3 sales up 999%, outsells Xbox 360 by 3:1
- Posted September 7th, 2009 at 11:29 EDT by Mike Harradence
- 61 Comments
Sales of the PlayStation 3 have increased by over a whopping 999 percent in the UK following the release of the Slim edition of Sony’s flagship console, reports Gamesindustry.biz
"The uplift on week 36 on week 35 is plus 999 per cent," said Chart Track’s Dorian Bloch. “We don't give out the hardware numbers, but never-the-less it's a very large increase." PS3 Slim launch in the region last Tuesday for the reduced price of £249 GBP, while the original model received a price cut back in August following Sony’s GamesCom press conference.
By comparison, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 also enjoyed a boost in sales of approximately 43 percent on the back of the Elite model dropping to £199 GBP last week. However, MCV notes that Sony's machine still managed to outsell the 360 by a ratio of 3:1 over the past week.
Both companies will be scrapping it out alongside Nintendo for the Christmas crown over the next few months, so be sure to stick around for more developments.
- 6:32am EDT - September 7th, 2009
999%, that's incredible....Lets hope it can keep sales figures high from now on!
- 6:32am EDT - September 7th, 2009
id like to see PS3 numbers at the end of this yr especially with the games line up and all the selling out we heard about
- 6:33am EDT - September 7th, 2009
hahaha awesome. Let's see this last a while until next year.
- 6:39am EDT - September 7th, 2009
Is this the new math?
999% over 43 % and that equates to a 3 to 1 ratio?
- 6:41am EDT - September 7th, 2009
999% wooow ... go sony go
- 6:43am EDT - September 7th, 2009
i think next year xbox will be vanished from world!!!
- 6:51am EDT - September 7th, 2009
For an extra £50 its a bit of a no-brainer really. With all the extra things the PS3 can do that the 360 can't including its Blu-Ray disc playing advantage, I know which console I'd go for! PS3 All The Way!!! ;)
- 6:52am EDT - September 7th, 2009
Not bad,it seems that many people were waiting for a cheaper PS3 along with a more compact one.I will buy one too at some point.
- 6:56am EDT - September 7th, 2009
PS3 is the only one for me. That rhymed.
- 7:00am EDT - September 7th, 2009
Take that crapbox!
- 7:01am EDT - September 7th, 2009
999% wow. looks liek there were loads of people who wanted one and were waitng for a price cut. but thats and incredible rise, and also outselling 360 3-1.
- 7:03am EDT - September 7th, 2009
@4 the percentages of 999% and 43% are not releative to each other but to their own.
- 7:15am EDT - September 7th, 2009
cue another 360 price drop.
- 7:19am EDT - September 7th, 2009
You're right of course.
I guess the differance is due to extremely poor PS3 sales on week 35.
- 7:28am EDT - September 7th, 2009
Its over 1000!!!!!!
- 7:30am EDT - September 7th, 2009
360 is already cheaper than the Wii in the UK.
- 7:31am EDT - September 7th, 2009
0_0 i think holy **** sums it up nicely
- 7:46am EDT - September 7th, 2009
WOW. That's a massive increase! Didn't think it would rocket up that much lol
- 8:08am EDT - September 7th, 2009
I though the whole idea with % is that is never over 100??? I'm surprised the new PS3 is sellin so well as I haven't seen any ads on tv for it, unfortunately.
- 8:13am EDT - September 7th, 2009
Those are some impreesive numbers. Totally reversing the week befores trend where it looks like the box outsold the ps3 by 2.5 to 1 Very good news for sony and the ps3. Keep it up
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!