Japan: Weekly PS Vita sales slump below 10k
- Posted April 12th, 2012 at 07:47 EDT by Mike Harradence
- 4 Comments
PlayStation Vita has hit another road block in Japan, with sales of the new handheld sinking below the 10,000 mark for the first time since release.
Sony’s new portable games console sold just 8,931 units in its latest chart run, though it’s worth noting that the majority of hardware experienced a dip in sales during the same period.
Of course, in regards to PS Vita there’s something of a software lull going on at the moment, so hopefully things will pick up once the next batch of triple-A games hit shelves.
See below for the full numbers.
3DS: 72,115 (Last week: 121,921)
PlayStation 3: 19,370 (23,771)
PSP: 14,804 (18,356)
Vita: 8931 (12,105)
Wii: 7099 (9292)
Xbox 360: 3,764 (1317)
PlayStation 2: 1355 (1374)
DSi XL: 793 (941)
DSi: 743 (771)
- 10:26am EDT - April 12th, 2012
GAMES... WHERE ARE THE GAMES!? The lack of promised PSone and PSP compatibiliity is killing sales.
sony1978a | Aked
- 11:26am EDT - April 12th, 2012
I said it before and I will say again, for Sony to win the portable war they must add these futures to PSVITA.
1- Built in HD tuner so we can watch the HD free to air TV on the go.
2- Built in digital radio so we can listen to radio station not just mp3.internet radio cost too much data and $$ so that is not an option.
3- APP store, like Apple, and Google android market, so we can download apps like face book Google earth, angry birds, and so on, etc.
4- Built in turn by turn navigation, like tom-tom, and nav man, etc.
5- Built in 8MP camera, with HD video recording.
6- A good web browser, not like the crappie PSP browser.
7- Must support the latest flash player, and java plug-in.
Sony is only targeting gamers with PSVITA, in my opinion that’s a bad move.They must target everyone.
I have a ps3 I hardly use it for games I got it for bluray and playtv futters and PSN videos store.
- 11:46am EDT - April 12th, 2012
1. and 2. There's no radio antenae in the vita. also you have movie and MP3 functions so it's not really necessary
3. Uh, it's not an android device, as much as it looks and feels like one. It has an app store, it's called the PSN store.
4. That would require someone to make an app as even the PSP required a specific program with map instalation. Or just use the google map location feature.
5. the camera it has is fine, 8mp is overkill expecially when the PS eye on the PS3 doesnt even shoot that high
6. Portable browsers are not easy to develop especially when you're trying to avoid using licenced name brand software like firefox, IE or safari. Even android tablet browsers are not the greatest compared to a full desktop or laptop browser.
7. Flash has already been said to be on the to-do list, but with Adobe having given up updating mobile flash it may be a while before the vita gets it.
You're forgetting entirely that they're targeting gamers because it's a GAMING DEVICE, anything else and they're competting on territory that they cant hope to win, It's not a smart phone and it's not a tablet. The features they're offering are to appeal to the gamer who wants things that makes gaming more accessible and/or fun That's why it's the lack of games that are hurting it and not anything else. Seriously you're probably not the target demographic if you're using a PS3 just as a bluray player, I mean you clearly wasted your money as it can do more than that. You could have gotten a bluray player for a 3rd of the price that does about the same thing since the PSN store isnt relegated to just the PSP and PS3 not to meantion it's prices are not always the best.
- 3:08am EDT - April 13th, 2012
GAMES, GAMES, GAMES that's what we need!!!!! plus most of the games on the Vita don't apeal to the Japanese gamers but more to the western side.
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!