Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection Review

  • Posted June 18th, 2014 at 12:11 EDT by Dane Smith

Review Score

Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection

PSU Review Score
7.0
Avg. user review score:
0.0

Add your rating

Summary

A fun piece of fan service for those who enjoy the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, and management games. The amount of options in-game are light, but the musical score and humor make up for it.

We like

  • Perfect Quest by Ayane creates one of the best ending credits
  • The great humor and references to gamer and otaku culture
  • The top-notch soundtrack

We dislike

  • The lack of options in-game
  • Too easy without added difficulties

See PSU's review on Metacritic & GameRankings

Most of the fun, and replayability, comes from the new game plus. As you can only manage one character per playthrough, not counting duos and trios that can happen by random chance or design, there are four different storylines to play through. Also, there are multiple endings for each character. The other slice of fun comes in the form of the concerts, which can be performed in the main story or in a separate mode. Granted, there is not much to be done during a concert as the dancing and singing is done for you. However, for those who enjoy dress-up games, there is the option of dressing your favorite character up in different costumes for the performance. For the rest of the concert you’re tasked with changing camera angles and setting off stage effects to boost your score, which affects the idol’s fans, stress and guts levels after the performance. Do a great job and see those fans come in droves, and see her hit single rise in the charts.

Graphically, there is not much to talk about. 95% of the game is on a menu screen, with the portrait of your idol staring back at you. The other 5% is during a concert, which has the same graphical capabilities as Hyperdimension Neptunia: Victory. It would have been nice to see the character’s anime versions rather than their 3D versions as the ones doing the dancing, but that is more personal preference as the hardware is not even pushed in the slightest. It would have set it apart from other games, and give it that extra flair to make-up for some of its shortcomings.

The ending credits to the game deserve special mention because of how creative they are. The amount of fan service and references to past video games through the generations is enough to boggle the mind, leaving old-school gamers scrambling for their notebooks to match them all up. The theme, Perfect Quest by Ayane, is a relaxing, mellow tune that makes the player feel fulfilled that the game was completed, and also puts an emphasis on the fun in video games, despite how others have viewed the Hyperdimensions series in the past.

This is a game made for fans of the series, first and foremost. Management fans would get some fun out of the title, but with all the in-jokes, references, and fan service, it is not ashamed to be for a certain niche of fans. Still, it would have been nice to have some more options to the sim elements as there is not much keeping even fans from coming back over and over again.

----
Dane Smith is PSU's Reviews Editor, a licensed teacher from St. Thomas University, and has a healthy addiction to Monster energy drinks. Buy his novel, follow him on twitter or check out his his article catalog.
related articles

Related Content

Comments

Share With Your Friends!

The Facebook Platform

Connect to PSU's social reader to share articles and see what your friends are reading. [ More info ]

Related information

RSS feed

Forum discussions

More

6,221,071 Posts | 194,790 members