EA rocked Leipzig attendees with the announcement that Rock Band will be coming to the PlayStation 2. Already announced for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Rock Band is scheduled for a winter release in North America and early 2008 in PAL regions.
Built with the specifications of the PS3 and Xbox 360, the PS2 version will not only play similar to the next-gen versions, but also feature console specific content for the PAL/US regions. Jeff Yapp, EVP of MTV stated, "The European continent’s rich and diverse musical pedigree transcends culture and language, which is why we are extremely pleased to announce Rock Band in Europe for early 2008...It was imperative that we have significant on-disc and downloadable localized music content for multiple European territories on the PlayStation 2 system..." Comments like these make the game look promising, much like its predecessor, Guitar Hero.
The track list announced is as follows:
* Rolling Stones “Gimme Shelter”
* The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again"
* Mountain "Mississippi Queen"*
* David Bowie "Suffragette City"
* Black Sabbath "Paranoid"*
* Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear the Reaper"
* The Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop”
* Deep Purple "Highway Star"
* Rush "Tom Sawyer"*
* Bon Jovi "Wanted Dead or Alive"
* The Clash “Should I Stay or Should I Go”
* Faith No More "Epic”
* Foo Fighters “Learn to Fly”
* Metallica “Enter Sandman”
* Nirvana “In Bloom”
* Stone Temple Pilots “Vasoline”
* Weezer “Say It Ain’t So”
* Smashing Pumpkins “Cherub Rock”
* Radiohead “Creep”
* Beastie Boys “Sabotage”
* The Hives “Main Offender”
* Queens of the Stone Age “Go With the Flow”
* The Strokes “Reptilia”
* Jet “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
* OK Go “Here It Goes Again”
* Nine Inch Nails “The Hand That Feeds”
With downloadable content and future music packets, this should only help the PS2's market share. PSU is happy to see the continued support of the PS2 and its peripherals. Stay tuned to PSU for more information on Leipzig and the PS2.