Sony has confirmed that PS4 update 5.0 is in the pipeline, although hasn’t yet committed to what new features will be added with the highly anticipated patch.
However, there’s a really good hint at what might be coming up in a survey that Sony sent out a while back, which asked consumers what features they would like added to the PS4 via future system updates.
Check out the PS4 feature checklist below, which was sent out to owners in 2015.
Now, let’s take a look at the PS4 features that have been added since the survey via updates.
- Notifications when friends come online – Update 3.50 (March 2016)
- PS2 classics – 3.0 (September 2015)
- Folders – Update 4.0 (September 2016)
- Appear offline Mode – Update 3.50 (March 2016)
- Filtering options in game libraries – Update 4.0 (September 2016)
- Download avatars on PS4 – (Shortly after Update 2.10 (November 2015)
- Custom backgrounds and themes – Update 4.50 (March 2017)
So, Sony has come good and provided half of the requested PS4 features that users want, leaving six popular items remaining on player’s wish-lists.
Note: They’ve also dropped almost all of them via the major firmware updates, increments of 0.5.
So, our prediction is that we’ll see at least some of following features will make it to PS4 update 5.0 with the rest likely to follow.
Possible PS4 update 5.0 features
- PSOne Classics
- Hide/completely remove items from library (demo)
- Delete items from your library
- Store wish list
- Increase max number of people in a party
- Change PSN ID
Sony has said that the new update will be entering its beta phase later this month, with both its U.S. and European arms now looking for testers to sign up for the taster. The last major PS4 update 4.50 offered a wealth of new features such as Custom Themes, PS4 Boost Mode, and External Hard Drive support.
What features would you like to see added to PS4 update 5.0? Let us know in the comments section below.