Get ready for something controversial, people! In this week’s issue of Japanese gaming mag Weekly Famitsu (issue #1500), the results for a reader poll for the 100 "Best Games of All Time" has been published, and Atlus’ Persona 5 took first place! Each user was allowed to vote and choose three different games, and each vote counted as a point.
Yep, you read that right! A game that has just been released this year managed to beat every other game. Here’s the entire poll stats and the top 10 games based on points.
The total number of votes for this poll were 5,287.
- Gender: 55% of voters were male, 44% were female, and 1% did not disclose their gender.
- Age: 18% of voters were in their teens, 40% of voters were in their 20s, 29% of voters were in their 30s, 10% of voters were in their 40s, 2% of voters were in their 50s, and 1% were “other.”
- Year of Release: Percentage of votes for games released between certain years:
- 5% for 1989 and prior
- 24% for 1990 – 1999
- 23% for 2000 – 2009
- 48% for 2010 – 2017
- Genres: Percentage of votes for games based on genre:
- 1% for FPS
- 1% for card game
- 1% for racing game
- 1% for social game
- 46% for RPG
- 24% for action game
- 12% for adventure game
- 8% for rhythm game
- 6% for simulation game
- Developers: Percentage of votes for games based on developer:
- 20% for Sega
- 17% for Square Enix
- 12% for Konami
- 11% for Nintendo
- 7% for Atlus
- 5% for Spike Chunsoft
- 4% for Bandai Namco
- 4% for Capcom
- 3% for Sony Interactive Entertainment
- 2% for Koei Tecmo
- 15% for Other
- Platforms: Percentage of votes for games released on certain platforms:
- 15% for PlayStation
- 16% for PlayStation 2
- 6% for PlayStation 3
- 8% for PlayStation 4
- 3% for PlayStation Portable
- 3% for PlayStation Vita
- 5% for Nintendo Entertainment System
- 11% for Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- 3% for Nintendo 64
- 3% for GameCube
- 2% for Wii
- 2% for 3DS
- 3% for Sega Saturn
- 5% for Dreamcast
- 5% for PC
- 5% for Arcade
- 6% for Other
Top 10 Poll results
- Persona 5 (September 15, 2016) – 835 points
- Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation (February 10, 1988) – 612 points
- Splatoon (May 28, 2015) – 411 points
- Nier: Automata (February 23, 2017) – 369 points
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 3, 2017) – 350 points
- Final Fantasy VII (January 31, 1997) – 287 points
- Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (January 12, 2017) – 257 points
- Chrono Trigger (March 11, 1995) – 231 points
- Sakura Wars (September 27, 1996) – 223 points
- Shenmue (December 29, 1999) – 217 points
To mark this momentous occasion, Atlus artist Shigenori Soejima sent in a drawing of Morgana.
Persona 5 Director Katsura Hashino also had a comment to share for the readers (translated by PersonaCentral):
Katsura Hashino, the Atlus director for Persona 5 commented on the results in Famitsu. He states that, when Persona 5 was voted as the best RPG, he was happy, even if it might have just been a coincidence. But, now that it has been voted the very best, it’s the height of pride. His coworkers were very surprised, wondering if there was no mistake in the voting process. He wonders if the votes would also be surprised at the results this time. He feels encouraged to continue trying to make better games moving forward, and thanks fans on the behalf of all the staff behind Persona 5.
Yep, Persona 5 is definitely a top-tier game. Heck, our review almost didn’t have any negatives in it and it got a 10/10, to boot. But to call it the best game of all time, though? I’m not so sure about that.
Do you think Persona 5 is one of the best games ever made? If not, what should have been the top choice?