Mass Effect 3 Review
- Posted March 16th, 2012 at 16:08 EDT by Mike Harradence
- 9 Comments
- PSU Review Score
- Avg. user review score:
You must be logged in to rate a game
Mass Effect 3 is unequivocally the game to beat this year. If you're not a fan, this is a great time to hop on board the Normandy.
- Superb plot filled with gripping twists and thought-provoking choices
- Finds a great balance between ME1 and 2 in terms of combat/upgrades
- Multiplayer is surprisingly solid
- Some minor performance issues
- Quest management not as good as ME2
(continued from previous page) ...Other elements aren’t so subtle. Reapers dominate the landscape, destroying skyscrapers, Turian cruisers and generally striking fear into players with their mechanical, almost guttural growls. Aurally the game totally delivers, with roaring battle anthems and melancholy passages alike acting the ideal complement to the epic on-screen antics. Voice acting meanwhile stands shoulder-to-shoulder with past games, with even generic, nameless NPCs pulling their weight in weaving Mass Effect 3’s intergalactic narrative as much as the main cast. Hearing the banter of a wife and her departing soldier hubby, for example, really put a lump in my throat.
Overall, from combat to storytelling, Mass Effect 3 is an absolute monster of a game. Despite some visual inconsistencies (clipping, Shepard talking to thin air for a few seconds), and a poor mission management that inexplicably fails to update your progress, there’s little to complain about. At the end of the day, BioWare has crafted an emotionally-charged spectacle that is unlikely to be surpassed for some time. Shepard, we salute you.
- 4:29pm EDT - March 16th, 2012
I was a bit frustrated that ME3 didn't have mini-games (i.e. unlocking and hacking mechanics), but the overall gameplay is very engrossing. Apart from Shepard looking like a board the whole time, the story and delivery is really, really great. I'm on my way to finishing it soon.
- 6:54pm EDT - March 16th, 2012
ome down-sides I'm noticing so far:
1) Lack of squadmates. If Tali and Garrus didn't survive ME2, you have a grand total of FOUR squadmates. Compare this to ME2's 12 man squad, and it leaves a LOT to be desired.
2) Way too much autodialogue. My Shepard feels like a preset character rather than one that I am building. There are times where I really feel they should have let me choose what to say, and instead let Shepard say whatever he wants (which at times I disagree with).
3) You can't talk to passerby anymore. Remember pressing 'E' or the spacebar when near someone to hear them banter (not face to face dialogue)? You can't do that anymore unless its for a quest. You cannot interact with everyone like the old games used to allow which is a pity.
- 7:06pm EDT - March 16th, 2012
My only issue is lack of squadmates, I wanted Grunt back!
And the ending was kind of eh.. didnt make much sense to me, I hope I dont need DLC to make sense of it.
- 10:35pm EDT - March 16th, 2012
Yeah I know that DigitalBeast. But compared to ME2 and ME1 I feel like there is WAY more autodialogue here (in ME3). Compared to the older games, I feel like I had less dialogue.
Subjective, I guess.
- 3:08am EDT - March 17th, 2012
Hmm...I can't rate this. thats wierd. Anyways this game is fun, but it feels alittle rushed. Plenty of frame rate issues and glitches to prove my point. Overall though its worth the play and the online mode is promising. Im loving the vanguard character.
- 9:19am EDT - March 17th, 2012
shouldn't give such high score for a lazy developing game, should minus 2 more points for inferior port of this PS3 ver...
BlindMango | BlindMango
- 8:10pm EDT - March 17th, 2012
@PSU - I think your user rating system is broken, please take a look into this because I see there are other people besides me that can't rate either.
- 9:46am EDT - March 18th, 2012
fix your webstie you lazy bastards
- 9:58am EDT - March 19th, 2012
I've fired off an email to the team about the broken user rating, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!