While Sony may have fired all its big guns for this year’s Tokyo Game Show a few weeks in advance, it did mean we were treated to a boatload of surprising announcements on Monday. Chief among the company’s reveals include a sexier, slimmer PS Vita model, a new hardware accessory called PlayStation Vita TV, and a heap of new games for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and its handheld.
PS Vita TV is among the most intriguing of the announcements, and essentially allows you to do everything you could do on a Vita already -- albeit on a massive HDTV screen.
While we’re still digesting the implications of this new product, here’s 10 quick facts on PS Vita TV and the new slim Vita you should hoover up in the meantime.
- - - - - - - -
1. PS Vita TV allows you to play on the big screen with your DualShock 3, thanks to the inclusion of slots for software and memory cards.
2. Remote Play has been confirmed for PS Vita TV.
3. PS Vita TV will connect to your HD TV via HDMI cable, features Wi-Fi support and includes 1GB of internal memory.
4. DualShock 4 support has been confirmed for PS Vita TV; ETA unknown at this point.
5. PS Vita TV weighs in at 110 grams and measures 6.5cm by 10.5 cm.
6. The ‘PS Vita Slim’ will be available in six colours (yellow, pink, white, gray, lime green and light blue) at launch in Japan, on October 10.
7. PS Vita TV allows users to stream content from a variety of services, including Hulu and Niconico. You can also access the PlayStation Store to boot.
8. PS Vita TV is compatible with over 100 PS Vita titles, in addition to digitally-downloaded games for PlayStation Portable and PlayStation.
9. The original PS Vita’s OLED screen has been replaced with a LCD screen for the new, slimmer model.
10. The PS Vita Slim has improved battery life; you can now enjoy six hours of gaming thanks to an extra one hour of juice.
Stay tuned to PSU.com for more details on PS Vita TV and the new slim model as it becomes available.