Bethesda has announced the release of DOOM update 6.66, which offers all of the first-person shooter’s paid DLC available for free.
Doom’s post-launch content support has been limited the game’s multiplayer component, with new maps, guns, demos and amor being made available since the shooter launched in 2016. Update 6.66 now brings this content to all players, free of charge.
In addition, developer id Software has also made some tweaks to the progression system for Doom’s multiplayer. While before you would unlock new content via random loot drops, players must now reached certain level requirements and in-game challenges, similar to how you increased the power of your weapons in the single-player campaign.
“We’re confident new and veteran players alike will enjoy the control and predictability in this new multiplayer progression system," commented Marty Stratton, Doom’s game director, in a post on the Bethesda Blog.
Update 6.66 Patch Notes
- Fixed an issue where textures appeared to glow on the player’s character.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where players would respawn frozen at the beginning of a Freeze Tag round.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where parts of the player model appeared transparent in some circumstances.
- Fixed an issue where players would disconnect from a match under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue in Infernal Run where picking up the ball when out of ammo would cause problems with passing or receiving the ball.
- Fixed an issue with the Multiplayer Challenge “Aimbot Hax” where Reaper Longshots would not count towards challenge completion.
- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer with inconsistent power item spawns on Outbreak.
- Added rotate on XYZ axis to the Grab Object manipulate controls
- Added setting to remove network limitation on single player only maps.
- Resolved various freeze and crash bugs.
- Fixed various matchmaking and lobby issues.
- Fixed visual bugs that result from combining specific HUD elements
- Fixed various freezes and crashes with using Campaign Model.
- Fixed coop crash with Bob and Rotate settings.
- Fixed bug that caused AI to run into blocking volumes set to Block Demons and AI Sight.
- Improved collision issues causing AI to partially fall into blocking volumes set to Block Demons.
As a result of these changes, players will now have their level reset to zero, though you will still keep any of the gear you’ve unlocked so far. Those of you who reached the Slayer level will receive a special badge as a mark of their achievement.
id Software will be holding a free weekend for players to bring themselves up to speed with the new multiplayer mechanics, as well as the first two stages of the single-player campaign plus the Arcade Mode. Look out for this on July 27 for PlayStation 4 users at 5.00pm GMT. What’s more, you can also pick up the full game for just £11.99/$14.99 during this time, with progress from the trial also carrying over to the full version.
DOOM is available for PS4, PC, and Xbox One. The game is a full reboot of the classic first-person shooter series, which kicked off in December 1993 on MS-DOS under the creative lead of John Carmack. Read our review of DOOM on PS4 to find out what we thought of this latest effort in the much-loved franchise.