The NPD Group has confirmed that Resident Evil 7: biohazard was the best-selling videogame in the U.S. for January 2017.
While this is an impressive feat in itself for Capcom, it’s worth noting that the critically acclaimed survival horror game was only available for five days prior to the NPD data collection period, and yet it still managed to outpace the likes of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1.
Furthermore, Resident Evil 7’s success has given Capcom its first best-selling game in terms of revenue since 2009’s Resident Evil 5. Overall Software sales increased by 14 percent year-on-year, which the NPD attributes to Capcom’s latest horror title, which has already shipped over three million copies worldwide since launch.
“With only five days in the market, Resident Evil 7 was the best-selling game in January,” commented NPD analyst Sam Naji. “The last time Capcom had the best-selling game of the month (in dollar sales) was in March 2009 with Resident Evil 5.”
See below for the full software Top Ten.
- Resident Evil 7 (PS4, Xbox One)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Battlefield 1 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
- NBA 2K17 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PS4)
- Madden NFL 17 (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
- Watch Dogs 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
- Overwatch (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
- FIFA 17 (PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)
Elsewhere, the NPD also reiterated previous reports that the PS4 was the best-selling home console for January 2017.
“The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling hardware (in units sold) during January 2017,” said Naji. “And for the fourth consecutive month, PlayStation 4 Slim System 500GB Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Bundle was the top-selling PS4 sku in terms of units sold.”