Cut out the GTA V rumours, read the official details in the Grand Theft Auto 5 fact hub
- Posted July 26th, 2012 at 15:18 EDT by Steven Williamson
Searching for facts about Grand Theft Auto 5 can be pretty tough. The Internet is awash with rumours about Rockstar’s latest open-world action game with far more speculation than cold hard facts.
To save you the bother of reading rumours, we’ve put together everything that we actually know about GTAV, including all the gameplay features that have been revealed and the one trailer that has been released.
1. GTA V will be set in Los Santos, which is an area inspired by Los Angeles and Southern California in terms of design. Los Santos will be in the state of San Andreas.
2. GTAV will be largest Grand Theft Auto game ever created, though Rockstar has yet to go into detail about the actual scale of San Andreas.
3. Among the locations, there’s a mix of city and rural environments from busy streets to mountains. There’s also a golf course, docks, a wind farm, a beach, typical L.A. style streets and a freeway. Downtown there will be typical architecture with high-rise buildings and shops such as a liquor store, wig shop and a piercing establishment. There’s also a place called Muscle Sands, where people work-out. The trailer also revealed an area known as ‘VineWood.’ The sign, which is placed on the side of a hill, mimics that of the real Hollywood sign. There’s also a homeless area complete with makeshift cardboard houses where people sleep. We also know that the main character lives in a big house with a balcony that comes complete with a telescope so he can survey the area.
4. The storyline will revolve around "the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present-day Southern California." From the trailer we know that the main character has gone to retire to San Andreas to “be a good guy for once” and that he doesn’t stay a good guy for long.
5. There is no official list of vehicles for the game, however, the trailer shows us that there’s a jet-ski, a floating airship, a convertible sports car with an electronic folding hood, a small plane that sprays crops, a jet, and a helicopter.
6. Among the characters, we know that prostitutes will return and that there are homeless people begging on the streets.
7. In terms of gameplay we know little, other than they’ll be car chases on foot and in vehicles and a multiplayer mode. No more official details have been confirmed other than Rockstar and 2K Games teasing that it will be a “radical reinvention” of the GTA universe and a “bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer.”
8. There is no release date for Grand Theft Auto V.
Anything apart from what you read here is pure speculation and rumour. There’s currently just one official trailer too, which can be viewed below.
We’ll update this thread each time Rockstar confirms a new piece of information on Grand Theft Auto V, so this will become a hub for everything that we know is true and confirmed about its latest adventure.