[Update] 11.09.18] Fortnite will be offline today as Epic Games launches update 5.40.2. There’s no new content coming, but the patch plans to fix some recent bugs. The game will be offline until around 1pm BST.
When we’re back online, another update will be deployed, adding new content. Patch notes for the content update will be available later. Epic writes:
There will be a client update with downtime tomorrow, September 11 at 2 AM ET (0600 GMT).
This is to fix a few issues and is separate from the v5.40 Content Update.
[Update 19.07.18] The Fortnite servers are down today for maintenance, Epic Games confirms. This is to prepare for the new Season 5 Week 2 challenges, which include scoring hoops in the basketball courts and searching between an oasis, rock archway and dinosaurs.
It’s expected that players will be back online in a few hours.
Scheduled maintenance is planned for tomorrow, July 19. Downtime will begin at 4 AM ET (0800 GMT).
[Update 31.05.18] The Fortnite servers for PS4 are currently down due to scheduled maintenance. This follows some issues with the latest patch.
We’re releasing a small update to resolve some issues with the latest patch, including server crashes and shopping cart bugs. We’ll have another update tomorrow May 31 to fix an issue with wins not counting on console, reports Epic Games.
The maintenance began at 8am BST. There’s currently no word on when the Fortnite servers will be back online.
[Update 16.05.18] Fortnite servers are down as Epic Games carries out maintenance ahead of update 4.2. The patch was originally supposed to release yesterday but was delayed. In Fortnite update 4.2, players can expect new weapons, performance tweaks and bug fixes.
Though this particular outage is due to scheduled maintenance, we’re hoping that Epic will soon allow game hosting companies to offer Fortnite private servers. Currently, we’re waiting to hear whether this will actually happen.
The full release notes are show below. There’s currently no indication when the servers will be back online, but we’ll keep you updated.
Fortnite Update 4.2 Patch Notes
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Added Epic and Legendary Burst Assault Rifles.
- Can be found in Floor Loot, Treasure Chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines.
- Does 32 / 33 damage (Epic / Legendary).
- Uses Medium Ammo.
- Uses the same damage fall-off ranges as other Assault Rifles.
- Added a new foraged item: Apples
- Consuming an Apple will grant 5 health (up to 100).
- Can uncommonly be found around certain trees throughout the map.
- Impulse Grenade drop rate has been increased by 5%.
- Suppressed Submachine Gun
- Damage increased by 3.
- Common is now 20 (was 17).
- Uncommon is now 21 (was 18).
- Rare is now 22 (was 19).
- Increased Accuracy reset speed by 25%.
- This will decrease the penalty during continuous fire.
- Increased Damage fall-off range.
- Fall-off begins at 28 meters (was 24 meters).
- Damage reduced to 85% at 47.5 meters (was 80% at 35 meters).
- Damage reduced to 75% at 70 meters (was 65% at 50 meters).
- Damage reduced to 65% at 250 meters.
- Damage increased by 3.
- Damage Trap
- Decreased Damage from 125 to 75.
- Reset Time decreased from 6 seconds to 5 seconds.
- Remote Explosives
- They will now damage all structures within range, whether or not they are visible from the explosion center.
- Damage radius and throw distance have been increased.
- Delay between sequential explosions has been reduced from 0.25 seconds to 0.175 seconds.
- Delay before detonating a charge or throwing another one has been reduced from 0.75 seconds to 0.15 seconds.
- Removed the delay between swapping to a grenade and the ability to aim it.
- Fixed an issue where Remote Explosives could destroy the meteor in Dusty Divot.
- Assault Rifles no longer appear to eject multiple bullet casings per shot.
- Fixed an issue preventing players from using the Launch Pad when multiple players activated it at the same time.
- Added âAuto-Pickup’ option for pickups on PC and consoles.
- This will automatically pick up Weapons and Consumables when walking over them (as long as inventory slots are still empty). They will be placed in the next available inventory slot.
- This option can be enabled in the Settings menu.
- Fixed an issue where Turbo Building would stop if you pressed another button before releasing the other.
- Fixed an issue allowing players to bypass weapon equip times after canceling a consumable use animation.
- Players can no longer crouch through the vents of the research facility in Dusty Divot.
- Fixed an issue causing door prediction to get stuck and make it so a player could never open doors.
- Fixed an issue that caused an incorrect displaying of selected cosmetic items in the lobby.
- Patched up a hole in the terrain near Lucky Landing.
- Fixed an issue that made chests appear to be unopened when they have already been looted.
- Fixed an issue allowing player to sprint at full speed in a section of the Loot Lake water.
- Improved overall server performance.
- The server tick rate has been increased from 20 to 30 updates per second.
- This allows for more responsive movement and shooting, and reduces effective ping times for all players.
- Network bandwidth has increased slightly.
- Improved material loading by 2x, which should help buildings and characters stream in faster and reduce hitching.
- Fixed large hitches that occurred when certain cosmetic items were encountered for the first time in a match.
- Improved framerate when using Hop Rocks by optimizing its particle effect.
- Fixed remote players appearing to jump far too high when their connection went bad or there was a server hitch.
- To help differentiate between above/below footstep sounds, we’ve added an additional layer to steps that are above you based on the surface type.
- Wood has creaks, Stone has crunches + gravel noises, and Metal has rattles.
- Lowered the volume of the weak points that appear when harvesting .
- Boosted the volume of Grenade Launcher explosions to more closely match volume of other explosions .
- Improved how wind fades out prior to landing when using a glider.
- Fixed an issue that would cause audio to cut out on elimination.
- Fixed an issue that would cause a spectated player’s footsteps/jumps/lands to sound like they were to the left/right if they were moving, especially when looking through a scope.
- Emoting in the lobby can now be triggered by clicking the right analog stick.
- Added an emote button to the bottom of the screen while in the lobby.
- Nvidia Shadowplay Highlights now defaults to off (PC only).
- Fixed an issue that prevented map input from working while spectating.
- Fixed an issue where teammate map indicators wouldn’t display during a match.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the consume timer from displaying while consuming a Hop Rock.
- Fixed an issue that caused the trap placement UI to display while looking at surfaces that do not allow trap placement.
- Fixed an issue where the minimap arrow wouldn’t display properly while spectating a player.
ART + ANIMATION
- Fixed an issue that allowed Sprays to affect objects that moved (player-worn bush, soccer balls, etc.).
- Fixed an issue that caused Battlehound’s pants to clip through his tunic when running.
- Fixed issue where Eliminations wouldn’t show up in the Replay browser.
- HUD customization added.
- This is version 1.0, we’ll continue to build this out.
- Added an optimization that limits the number of Sprays rendered at once.
[Update 1/5/18] Fortnite is officially back up as season 4 begins. You can get the details for that here.
[Update 25/04/18] Many Fortnite players are reporting being kicked out of games today. The servers are currently down, but this could be something different than usual. There are rumors that an event may be happening soon, following a cryptic message from Epic Games. TVs have appeared throughout the game world broadcasting something rather peculiar. Rumors are the Fortnite meteor strike could be incoming in Battle Royale. Or it just is the usual downtime!
[Update 19/04/18 8 am BST] Fortnite servers are down to prepare for the latest update 3.5. Fortnite update 3.5 launches today and brings with it a 50v50 limited time mode and a new light machine gun for Battle Royale. In Save The World, new challenges await that will allow you to unlock some cyberpunk heroes. There’s currently no indication when the servers will be back online.
Fortnite Update 3.5 Patch Notes
- From Thursday, April 19 until Sunday, April 22 players will receive the following:
- 2x experience when playing Battle Royale.
- An Into the Storm Llama each day in Save the World.
- Remember to log in to claim your Llama on each of these days to collect all four.
- Resiliency improvements to help prevent extended downtime.
- Fix for a high-frequency crash on Xbox One
- Peeking is being reverted back to how it functioned prior to v3.5.
- This should solve the issue causing players to accidentally shoot their own structures while trying to peek. More info here.
- Gifts of appreciation to our community for your patience during our unexpected downtime on 4/12 – Part 2:
- Battle Royale – 20 Battle Pass Stars
- Save the World – 1600 Seasonal Gold
[Update 12/04/18 4pm BST] Looks like the problem is more drastic than first thought. The servers have now been down for hours, and the developer has confirmed there’s been a critical failure with one of the databases.
Posting on the Fortnite Reddit page, Epic Games writes: “We’re sorry for the ongoing extended instability. We had a critical failure with one of our account service databases. As a result, our login and matchmaking systems are unstable. Our team has been working through the night on fixes in order to bring the game fully back up. Right now we don’t know how long it will take, but we will update you hourly.”
[Update 12/04/18 – 10am BST] Users have reported account login issues, and Epic Games has taken the Fortnite servers down. Emergency maintenance has been ongoing for a number of hours and there’s currently no indication when players will be back online.
Speaking on Twitter, the official Fortnite account stated: “We’re bringing the servers offline for emergency maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience. We currently have no ETA on when servers will be back up.”
[Update 11/04/18 – 22.15 BST] The Fortnite servers are currently down for many players. The issue relates to account services and is causing problems with logins. Epic Games has acknowledged the problem and is looking into a solution. There’s currently no indication when the servers will be back online.
[Update 08/04/18 – 21.05pm BST] There’s matchmaking problems with Fortnite currently. Players worldwide are experience login issues to the multiplayer servers. Epic Games is aware of the issue and are currently investigating. The latest update reads: “We’re experiencing problems with our backend services that may cause login issues.” Hopefully, we should be back online soon.
[Update 04/04/18 19:18pm BST] There’s currently some issues with Fornite matchmaking. Following the deployment of the latest update today, Epic Games confirms that it has disabled the squad playlist. The latest update reads: “We’re experiencing an issue with our matchmaking services. To help relieve some pressure we’ve applied a cooldown in between matches and temporarily disabled the Squad playlist for the High Explosives LTM.”
[Update 02/4/18 20.45 BST] The Fortnite servers are offline. Epic Games has confirmed: “We’re experiencing some issues with our matchmaking services. You may experience a login queue.” Stay tuned for updates.
[Update 29/3/18 12:30pm GMT] The Fortnite servers are down for an extended period today to prepare for update 3.4. The servers were expected to be offline for just a short amount of time. Epic Games tweeted: “We are targeting a 4am ET (8 GMT) release on March 29 for the v3.4 update.” However, many players still can’t get into matchmaking. We’ll keep you updated.
[Update 20/3/18 13:14pm GMT] Fortnite should now be back online.
[Update 20/3/18 12.50pm GMT] The Fortnite servers are suffering a major outage today. The latest problem affects the website and forums, game services and login. Matchmaking is also affected. Epic Games has acknowledged the issues on the official Twitter account and has updated its status page.
The Fortnite servers issue “has been identified and a fix is being implemented”. They are currently monitoring the results and Fortnite should be back online soon. Stay tuned for updates.
[Update 19/3/18 19:53pm GMT] Following the introduction of Blitz mode today in Fortnite, the servers are struggling with many users experiencing the Waiting In Queue error. With the introduction of Fortnite Mobile this week, there’s a ton more traffic, so we’d expect it’s due to the servers being flooded.
Others are seeing the issue Matchmaking temporarily disabled. Epic Games has yet to respond to the current issues, but stay tuned for updates.
Other Fortnite Servers Down Time Reported
[Update 17/3/18 11.09 GMT] Fortnite having login issues, the team are investigating.
[Update -16/3/18 23.35 GMT] Fortnite team tweet:
We’re back! We’ve scaled up and enabled matchmaking. Keyboard, controller, or phone…get back into the action now!
[Update -16/3/18 20.55 GMT] Failed to connect to matchmaking errors: Fortnite currently experiencing issues with backend services. You may encounter connection problems due to this. We’ll update you when we have more information.
Latest tweets from Fortnite team says,
We’re seeing recovery for those backend issues and are continuing to monitor.
The love is strong! Due to an influx of new players, we’re experiencing degradation with our matchmaking. We’re disabling matchmaking and scaling up to account for this.
[Update – 22 Feb 12.45pm GMT] The Fortnite servers are currently offline following issues with deploying the new update V3.0.0. Epic Games hasn’t confirmed exactly what the issue is but have pulled the servers down while they investigate. The latest statement reads:
“We are currently investigating issues with this release and we are going offline while we investigate. We will be back as quickly as possible.”
To find out more about the new Fortnite V3.0.0 update, check out our Battle Pass breakdown.
[Update 2.42 – 08 Feb 9.47am GMT] The Fortnite servers are down today as Epic Games deploys update 2.42. Confirming the maintenance, they wrote: “Downtime for V.2.4.2 has started as we bring in this new patch. We’ll get you back out there as soon as we can!” So, right now there’s no time frame for when the servers will be back online, but when you are back into battle you can look forward to a host of new conten
[UPDATE 02 Feb 9.37pm] Fortnite multiplayer is back up.
[UPDATE 02 Feb 8.10pm] The servers are going to be offline for a little longer. The latest update reports: “We currently do not have an ETA for the return of the servers, we will give players an update at approximately 9:00 PM GMT”.
[UPDATE 02 Feb 5.58pm] The Fortnite servers are down at the moment as Epic Games prepares for update 2.4.0, which was delayed from its original release yesterday. The official statement reads: “We are taking matchmaking offline as we prepare for downtime in 15 minutes. We’ll get you back in the game as soon as we can!â The good news for all the recent issues with matchmaking is that all Fornite players will be receiving a reward as an apology.
[UPDATE 26 Jan 5.28pm GMT] The Fortnite servers are offline due to problems with the PlayStation Network servers. Epic Games has took to Twitter to tell players that the issues are currently being investigated and there will be an update as soon as they hear anything. Hopefully we’ll be back online soon, but we’ll keep you updated.
[UPDATE 23.30pm GMT] The Fortnite servers are apparently back online. Epic Games says:Hooray! We’re back online. We truly appreciate your patience today. Get out there and have some fun!” Get on before it goes down again!
[UPDATE 8.00pm GMT] Servers for Fortnite are still down. Epic Games have offered up an explanation on reddit.
Hello everyone, as I’m sure you’re painfully aware, our servers are still offline. The explanation is as follows.
“During our downtime to upgrade to 2.3, we were performing recommended tasks to resolve a lingering database issue. Those tasks ended up causing the database to go into a bad state. After significant consideration, we decided our best option was to restore from a backup at the moment we took the servers down for the patch. Our first restore failed (due to issues unrelated with the quality of the backup) and we’re working on a second attempt at the restore. We’re on it and it will be up as soon as humanly possible.”
While we can’t give you an ETA when the servers will be back, we can tell you that we will make this right in regards to any time you have lost today. We are sorry for the downtime. We hope to get you back to playing soon.
[UPDATE 3.30pm GMT] There’s still no luck with the Fortnite servers and it’s been confirmed that down time will continue for at least the next few hours. That should bring us to around 6.30pm at the very earliest that players will be back online. We’ll keep you updated.
[UPDATE 1pm GMT] The Fortnite servers are still down and Epic Games has released the following statement:
“We’re sorry the update has gone longer than expected. We’re making some changes to the backend systems to handle growth. More updates as we have them.”
We’re sorry the update has gone longer than expected. We’re making some changes to the backend systems to handle growth. More updates as we have them. pic.twitter.com/LFA5BvayZp
â Fortnite (@FortniteGame) January 25, 2018
[UPDATE 11am GMT] : Downtime is going longer than expected, says Epic Games. We will update players as soon as we have more information. The current server maintenance is due to the release of Fortnite update 2.3.0, which fixes a ton of bugs and makes some gameplay tweaks.
[UPDATE Jan 25, 2018] The Fortnite servers are down as Epic Games applies update 2.3.0, which coincides with the end of the Winter Event for Save the World. There’s a big update to Battle Royale today and you can read the patch notes below
Updated on January 22
Prepare for some more Fortnite downtime today as Epic Games releases a small update. According to a statement: “We’ll be releasing a patch for all players on January 22, at 8:00 AM Eastern time, 1:00 PM UTC. There will be downtime. This patch will add support for the Korean language.”