In this guide:
- HOW IS THIS VERSION DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE I ALREADY OWN AND DO I NEED IT FOR CROSSPLAY?
- MINECRAFT MICROSOFT ACCOUNT PS4 – WHY DO I NEED ONE?
- NOW THAT I HAVE A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT, HOW DO I SIGN IN ON MY PS4 AND WHAT DOES REMOTECONNECT PS4 MEAN?
- HOW DO I FIND MY FRIENDS ON THEIR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT?
- I KEEP ENTERING MY FRIEND’S ID AND CAN’T FIND THEM. WHY?
- HOW MANY MICROSOFT ACCOUNTS CAN YOU TIE TO YOUR PLAYSTATION™ NETWORK ACCOUNT?
- WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU UNLINK YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT?
- DO I NEED TO PAY A SUBSCRIPTION FEE (LIKE XBOX LIVE GOLD) TO PLAY ONLINE?
- DO MY EXISTING WORLDS TRANSFER?
- HOW DO I TRANSFER EXISTING WORLDS?
HOW IS THIS VERSION DIFFERENT THAN THE ONE I ALREADY OWN AND DO I NEED IT FOR CROSSPLAY?
Minecraft delivers a unified experience to players on all platforms that use the Bedrock codebase. You can build with friends via cross-play no matter what device they’re using, play multiplayer mini-games and customize how you play with community content available through the in-game Marketplace/Minecraft Store. You can only do Minecraft PS4 crossplay on the Bedrock version of Minecraft, which will be provided as a free update to everyone who already owns Minecraft on PS4.
MINECRAFT MICROSOFT ACCOUNT PS4 – WHY DO I NEED ONE?
A Microsoft account is optional and not required to play Minecraft on PS4™. It is a free account you can use to sign in on a device. It allows Minecraft players on PS4™ to play with other players on non-PS4™ devices like iOS, Android, Xbox One, Switch, and Windows 10.
Having a Microsoft account also enables the portability of your Marketplace (devices other than PS4) or Minecraft Store (PS4) purchases to other devices and platforms. You can create a new Microsoft account here. Please note that once a Microsoft account has been linked to a PlayStation™ Network account, it cannot be unlinked without loss of access to entitlements and Minecoins on other platforms.
NOW THAT I HAVE A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT, HOW DO I SIGN IN ON MY PS4 AND WHAT DOES REMOTECONNECT PS4 MEAN?
Be certain you use the account details for the Microsoft account you want associated with your PlayStation™ Network account. This cannot be undone. You will not be able to link another Microsoft account to your PS4™ account. The Remoteconnect PS4 client is what Minecraft uses to affect crossplay
- On the Minecraft game home screen, click Sign in with a Microsoft account.
- This will bring up a screen providing you with a unique 8-digit code and instructing you to go to http://aka.ms/remoteconnect.
- Complete your sign-in by following the instructions on this site to enter the 8-digit code.
HOW DO I FIND MY FRIENDS ON THEIR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT?
Once you’ve signed into your Microsoft account, click Play on the home screen.
- Toggle to the right to reach the Friends tab.
- Click Add Friend.
- Find friends by entering their Microsoft gamertag.
I KEEP ENTERING MY FRIEND’S ID AND CAN’T FIND THEM. WHY?
Make sure you are entering your friend’s gamertag correctly. Please note that you are only able to enter a Microsoft gamertag as a player ID. Player IDs from other platforms are not supported at this time.
HOW MANY MICROSOFT ACCOUNTS CAN YOU TIE TO YOUR PLAYSTATION™ NETWORK ACCOUNT?
You can only tie one Microsoft account to a PlayStation™ Network account.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU UNLINK YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT?
Once a Microsoft account has been linked to a PlayStation™ Network account, it cannot be unlinked without loss of access to entitlements and Minecoins on other platforms.
DO I NEED TO PAY A SUBSCRIPTION FEE (LIKE XBOX LIVE GOLD) TO PLAY ONLINE?
Online subscription fees are determined by the platform you play on, so an Xbox Live Gold subscription is not required for PlayStation™ players, but a PlayStation® Plus subscription will be required for multiplayer. A free Microsoft account is optional but recommended for players to get the most out of this version of Minecraft.
DO MY EXISTING WORLDS TRANSFER?
Yes, your existing worlds from Minecraft: PS4™ Edition will convert to the new version of Minecraft. Worlds on PS3™ will need to be converted to PS4™ and opened in Minecraft: PS4™ Edition first, to ensure that the worlds transfer over properly.
HOW DO I TRANSFER EXISTING WORLDS?
To transfer existing worlds from Minecraft: PS4™ Edition to Minecraft:
- In Minecraft (Bedrock Version), click the button Sync Old Worlds on the bottom of the worlds list in the play menu. This will let you find any worlds on the device from Minecraft: PS4™ Edition and display them below the button.
- Select any of the worlds displayed to convert it to the Bedrock edition.
- After conversion, the world will show up above the Sync Old Worlds button along with the rest of your Bedrock worlds.
Source: Minecraft PS4 Bedrock Edition Official FAQ