Konami has officially confirmed the game Silent Hills that was being crafted by filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima is canceled.
“Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued,” read a statement issued by Konami. “In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.”
The announcement doesn’t come as a surprise following this weekend’s news of the Silent Hills demo P.T. being removed from the PlayStation Store this Wednesday and del Toro himself reportedly saying it was over.
Guillermo del Toro has unfortunate luck with game projects as his last project titled Insane back in 2010 was scrapped after its publisher THQ closed. Reports of a debacle between Hideo Kojima and Konami surfaced last month after his name and studio Kojima Productions were stripped from official Metal Gear Solid images and advertising materials.
As the statement said, and as we reported earlier today, Konami says it will continue to produce Silent Hill games. It’s a shame that a promising entry in the survival horror series will not see the light of day. Star Norman Reedus sound as ‘super bummed’ about the cancellation as we are.