The Olympic Virtual Series has selected Sony‘s long-running Gran Turismo franchise as one of five partners to take part in its inaugural event later this year.
With the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 delayed to July, the Olympic Virtual Games will kick off on May 13 and will run until June 23. Gran Turimso, which is developed by Polyphony Digital, will be joined by games spanning a number of categories, including Baseball, Cycling, Rowling and Sailing.
You can view the full lineup below.
- Baseball – World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) – eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami)
- Cycling – Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) – Zwift (Zwift)
- Motorsport – Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) – Gran Turismo (Polyphony Digital)
- Rowing – World Rowing – TBA
- Sailing – World Sailing – Virtual Regatta (Virtual Regatta)
This is the first time that International Olympic Committee has acknowledged a digital sport, with the OVS being the first instance of a full Olympic event to accommodate gaming and esports.
Thomas Bach, the president of IOC, commented:
The Olympic Virtual Series is a new, unique Olympic digital experience that aims to grow direct engagement with new audiences in the field of virtual sports. Its conception is in line with Olympic Agenda 2020+5 and the IOC’s Digital Strategy. It encourages sports participation and promotes the Olympic values, with a special focus on youth.
The Gran Turismo franchise is Sony’s most successful IP, having sold over 80 million units worldwide since its launch in Japan in 1997. Polyphony Digital is currently working on the next instalment in the series, Gran Turismo 7, for the PS5.
[Source – GT Planet]