While the actual PS5 release date is still a fair way off, there are still nonetheless plenty of questions that need to be answered regarding PlayStation 5. One such question is does PS5 have HDCP?
Does PS5 have HDCP?
Though details are light on the ground regarding PS5, there are certain things that can we reliably infer at this juncture nonetheless. One of those things is whether or not the PS5 will use HDCP.
The answer is almost certainly going to be yes. It is extremely likely that the PS5 will support HDCP. The reason? Well, digital content providers don’t like losing money basically.
What Is HDCP?
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, or HDCP as it is more commonly known, is a form digital copy protection that protects video and audio content from being copied as it travels from one connection to another.
Much like the PS4 and the PS3 before it, the PS5 will play host to a range of media apps from third party digital content providers such as Netflix and Sky. As such, it is very difficult to imagine those companies supporting the PS5 as a delivery platform for their services if the content delivered by those services are at risk of piracy.
The latest version of HDCP is HDCP 2.3 for HDMI. As of this writing, it is expected that the PS5 will support this standard.
Can You Disable HDCP On PS5?
The existing PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro all currently support HDCP. Therefore making its inclusion in the PS5 a largely foregone conclusion. However, as of PS4 firmware patch 1.7, users were able to deactivate HDCP by performing the following steps:
- To disable or enable this setting, all applications in use must be closed.
- Go into Settings > System and uncheck the checkbox for Enable HDCP.
It’s likely that if the PS5 supports HDCP disabling from launch, or later, it will be achieved in the same fashion.
As soon as we hear more about PS5 HDCP we’ll be sure to update this article.
More PS5 News
- Best PS5 Logo Images
- Grand Theft Auto 6 Coming To PS5?
- PS5 Dev Kit – Latest Leaks
- All Developers Working On PS5
- PS5 Specs, Rumors, CPU, GPU, PSVR 2 & More
- CyberPunk 2077 Could Be a PS4 and PS5 Game
- PS5 May Play PS4 Games; Sony Updates Patent
- That PS5 survey Was Legit; Sony Now Talking About PSN ID Change
- PS5 backwards compatibility will be a certainty