In case you missed it, Microsoft today announced that its $14.99/£10.99 Ultimate Game Pass offering would not only include day one access to its first-party exclusive line-up (I hear you chuckling at the back there), a selection of third-party offerings, Xbox Live Gold and the PC version of the Xbox Game Pass, but now it would also include at no extra cost full and unfettered access to Microsoft’s Xcloud streaming service.
PlayStation Plus On PS5 – PS Plus Needs A Next-Gen Upgrade
The inclusion of the Xcloud streaming service into the Ultimate Game Pass comes this September; just a couple of months before Microsoft releases its next-generation Xbox Series X console this holiday season.
Obviously, this all dovetails into Microsoft’s aggressive desire to keep everything ‘in the family’, where players can finish playing Halo: Infinite on their Xbox Series X console and then continue on playing it while they commute on their phone or other device.
Whatever you think of Microsoft, its Ultimate Game Pass is clearly stuffed with value and Sony has to match it somehow. Simply trotting around free PS5 indie games and increased cloud storage with PlayStation Plus this holiday season just isn’t going to cut it.
Whether that’s the creation of a third PlayStation Plus tier for PS5 that includes a revamped PlayStation Now service which supports earlier generation PlayStation games, or the introduction of Sony’s own take on the Ultimate Game Pass, Sony need to do something soon.
What do you think Sony needs to do its PlayStation Plus offering in order to counteract the Ultimate Game Pass? Or, do you think that they don’t need to do anything at all? Let us know in the comments below.
Previous Checkpoint Articles
- Checkpoint: A Digital PlayStation 5 Will Only Succeed If PlayStation Store Prices Fall
- Checkpoint: Checkpoint: E3 2020 Was Scheduled To Happen This Week – Do You Miss The Traditional Format?
- Checkpoint: Sony Has Found Its Formula For State Of Play, Now It Should Expand It To Third Party Titles
- Checkpoint: If Inside Xbox Dulled Our Next-Gen Expectations For PS5, Unreal Engine 5 Just Revived Them
- Checkpoint: Inside Xbox 2020 Should Teach Us To Manage Our PS5 Third Party Expectations