After the earlier news today that Cyberpunk 2077 would miss its April 2020 release date and instead release in September 2020 to accommodate extra polish and optimisation, developer CD Projekt RED has now also confirmed that the previously announced Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer mode won’t arrive until after 2021.
Speaking with IGN, Michał Nowakowski, CD Projekt’s Member of the Board and SVP of Business Development confirmed the release by saying:
“Given the expected release of Cyberpunk 2077 in September, and speaking of a series of events we expect to occur after that date, 2021 appears unlikely as a release date for the Cyberpunk multiplayer.”
Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Is A Long Way Off
In addition, Nowakowski also shed some light on the other AAA project that he Polish developer has on the go alongside Cyberpunk 2077, stating that it and the forthcoming Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer are one and the same.
The very fact that the Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer is projected to arrive in 2022 at the earliest, essentially all but confirms that Cyberpunk 2077 will arrive on Sony’s next-generation console. Not least because the crusty PS4 would be nine years old by that point and in the tail end of its twilight years – hardly a good audience to encourage growth in a new online and live multiplayer experience.
As to just what the eventual Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer experience might look like, many folks have pointed towards the online, continually updated multiplayer experience of Rockstar’s Red Dead Online; a comparison that makes a lot of sense given that CD Projekt RED have designated it as an ‘AAA’ title that needs at least another two years of solid development time put into it.
How do you think the Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer will work? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
Related Cyberpunk 2077 News
- Grimes, Run The Jewels, Asap Rocky, And More Confirmed For Cyberpunk 2077 Soundtrack
- Cyberpunk 2077 Sex Scenes Will Reportedly Be Motion Captured
- Rumor – Cyberpunk 2077 Game Length ‘Shorter Than The Witcher 3′
- PS5 & Xbox Scarlett Will Be ‘Awesome,’ Says Cyberpunk 2077 Dev
- Cyberpunk 2077 Microtransactions Hinted At For The Game’s Multiplayer Mode
- Cyberpunk 2077’s Keanu Reeves Pushed For More Screen Time
- Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Teases DLC Plans, Suggests No Microtransactions Post-Launch
- Cyberpunk 2077 Collector’s Edition Statue Revealed In All Its Glory
- Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Values ‘Quality Over Quantity’ For Night City
- New Cyberpunk 2077 Gender Customisation Details Revealed
- Cyberpunk 2077 Cutscenes Are All In First-Person