Did you know you that the PS4 is compatible with a keyboard and mouse? It is! Though you might wonder why exactly you’d want to use two external peripherals rather than using the traditional DualShock 4 controller, it does have its advantages.
What can you use a keyboard and mouse on PS4 for?
Using the DuaShock 4 controller to type or browse the web can be cumbersome, so a PS4 keyboard and mouse makes navigation a little easier. You can also use them to navigate the dashboard, use media apps, type text messages and even play some games.
There’s a few options available.
How to set up your phone as a keyboard for PS4
First up, let’s take a look at the simplest of solutions and how to set up your phone as a keyboard for Sony’s console.
1. Download the PlayStation App.
2. Ensure your phone and PS4 are on the same wi-fi network.
3. Log-in to the PSN on both your phone and PS4.
4. On your phone screen, select Use as Second Screen and click the keyboard icon.
5. Now you can message friends and text party chat with no hassle.
You won’t be able to play games this way, but you can enter messages more simply, surf the web, and use media apps.
How to set up a keyboard and mouse on PS4
If you want to go down the traditional route, then you can set up either a wired or wireless Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to connect to PS4.
For a wired keyboard and mouse:
1. Connect your keyboard and mouse via the USB ports on your console.
2. After a few seconds, the PS4 should recognize both devices.
3. Customize your setting if you wish. Go to Settings >Devices.
4. Choose to customize either your External Keyboard or Mouse.
For a wireless keyboard and mouse:
1. Connect your keyboard and mouse adapter (a wireless dongle) to the PS4 USB port.
2. You may have to wait 30 seconds while the PS4 detects your peripherals.
3. Check the settings (as with the wired version) to make sure devices are being recognized.
If you’re using a Bluetooth PS4 keyboard, simply turn it on and go to Settings, Devices and choose Bluetooth Device to pair them. They should work immediately.
PS4 Keyboard and mouse compatibility
Luckily, you can use any standard keyboard and mouse either wired via USB, or through wireless Bluetooth. Some of the best PS4 keyboards that we’d recommend are:
Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810
Logitech’s wireless keyboard for PS4 is also compatible with Windows, iOS devices and Android. It’s great for chat and navigation and its lightweight means you can move around with it easily. Typing is very comfortable with keys that have soft, rounded edges, and keystrokes are nice and quiet. There’s also adjustable back-lighting which makes it perfect for gaming in low light conditions.
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
If you’re serious about your PS4 gaming, and want a keyboard to take advantage of keyboard compatible PS4 games, then look no further than this wired option. There’s programmable keys, an LCD display panel for game stats (compatible games only) and two USB ports so you can connect a mouse and a headset.
HORI Tactical Assault Commander Pro
This is the official PS3 and PS4 keyboard designed specifically for first-person shooters. It’s designed is unlike a traditional keyboard and really geared toward PS4 gamers. This compact keyboard is mapped to the analog sticks and buttons of the DualShock 4, and you can remap its keys to include functionality for the Share button or touchpad.
How to play PS4 with keyboard and mouse
Sadly, the support for keyboard and mouse on PS4 is poor. It’s up to developers to decide whether it’s a feature worth implementing and most choose not to. There are, however, some PS4 games compatible with keyboard and mouse, including:
- Final Fantasy XIV
- War Thunder
- Elder Scrolls Online (keyboard only)
- Neverwinter (keyboard only)
- DC Universe Online (you can only use the keyboard)
- They Are Billions
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
If you want to play PS4 games with a keyboard and mouse there aren’t many options, unless you opt for the HORI Tactical Assault Commander Pro, or an adapter.
PS4 adapters for keyboard and mouse
There’s numerous PS4 adapters on the market which connect wirelessly to your console and allow you to program your settings and keyboard. This allows you to play PS4 games like a PC player. The recommended PS4 adapters are:
- Xim 4 adapter
- VemonX adapter
Using these methods you can play any PS4 game with a keyboard and mouse.
It’s important to note that PS4 games are specifically designed to be played with a DualShock 4 controller, so it’s going to be difficult to replicate the keyboard and mouse experience of a PC player to perfection.
- How To Connect Bluetooth Headphones To PS4
- How To Sync PS4 Controller
- How to Connect PS4 Controller to iPhone
- How to Connect Discord On PS4 For Chat
- How To Fix PS4 Pro Flashing Black Screen
- How to fix your PS4 controller syncing issues
- PSN Error WC-40382-7: How To Fix Card Issues On PlayStation Store
- PlayStation VR – How To Fix Blurry Vision
- How To Fix PS4 Disc Issues and Errors
- PS4 Troubleshooting: How To Fix Auto-Eject Loop
- How To Fix PS4 ‘Game Saved Data Cannot Upload’ Error