[OT] The Order: 1886 (Post Your Impressions, Questions etc.)

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6423840]How on earth do you go from "it plays more like a movie -> thus the score"

What has that go to do with the length of the game or the length of cut-scenes, thats not what they marked it down for..they said specifically that the cutscene are constantly switching between cut-scene and QTE's. Thats what they marked it down for, not the length of cut scenes.

And they specifically marke dit down for the generic cover based shooting as well.

I have no idea how you guys read these reviews and come up with what you do.

Wheres the length of the games of the length of cut-scenes even remotely discussed?

And no one complained about MGS because in between cut-scenes were not QTE's.

Its like your focusing on this aspect and not the actual meat of the gameplay, which as I have read over and over alternates between a poor coverbased shooter and QTE's.

I dont understand why poeple seem to foucs on what they played in other games and that was ok because... in stead of focusing on the because.

Yes MGS has lengthy cut-scenes.
No it didn't matter any more than it does in this game cause it's whats IN BETWEEN that you play.

You don't have to agree with them, you have every right to play the game and enjoy it, but I just don't understand the disconnect between what the reviewers are actually saying and what some people take away from their reviews.[/QUOTE]

What the reviewers are saying? They are saying a lot of things and they don't all agree. There are 50+ individual opinions about the game with a score spread of 75 points. Don't give a crap about any of them for this game and any other cuz so far, this gen, this is becoming way too common. So you can quote ONE of the reviewers if you like, but it doesn't mean anything.

I'm going to play the game. Then I and every single one of those reviewers will be on equal footing. Until then.....just a bunch of talk.

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6423840]
And they specifically marke dit down for the generic cover based shooting as well.

Its like your focusing on this aspect and not the actual meat of the gameplay, which as I have read over and over alternates between a poor coverbased shooter and QTE's.

[/QUOTE]
Another confusing thing to me because judging by the videos i watched the the cover-system and shooting looks really fun especially with those weapons, at the very least it would be same as any other 3rd person shooting game. Only companies like IgN & Gamespot would say stupid stuff like that for whatever reason the ywant to bash the game for. But the few non-companies reviews i watched from normal people like us actually said the gameplay is pretty fun, especially the wolverine fights.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Abdou23, post: 6423864]Another confusing thing to me because judging by the videos i watched the the cover-system and shooting looks really fun especially with those weapons, at the very least it would be same as any other 3rd person shooting game. Only companies like IgN & Gamespot would say stupid stuff like that for whatever reason the ywant to bash the game for. But the few non-companies reviews i watched from normal people like us actually said the gameplay is pretty fun, especially the wolverine fights.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but they don't for said companies - therefore their opinion aren't worth as much. ;)

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
There seems to be a lot of people jumping to the defense of this game without having played it. How can anyone defend any game until it's played by the person defending it?

Until the reviewers can be proven wrong they have to be given the benefit of the doubt. After all, can all of them be wrong?

The game does appear to have some high points but, according to those who have actually played it (unlike anyone here), it falls short of the hype.

Does that mean it's bad? Not at all. Just that it falls short of being the game that many thought it would be.

[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6423875]There seems to be a lot of people jumping to the defense of this game without having played it. How can anyone defend any game until it's played by the person defending it?

Until the reviewers can be proven wrong they have to be given the benefit of the doubt. After all, can all of them be wrong?

The game does appear to have some high points but, according to those who have actually played it (unlike anyone here), it falls short of the hype.

Does that mean it's bad? Not at all. Just that it falls short of being the game that many thought it would be.[/QUOTE]
I guess I could say the same thing in reverse in terms of people bashing the hell out of it before getting their hands on it. People are talking mad shit without ever booting it up. It's a hate train and everyone is jumping on board.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6423875]There seems to be a lot of people jumping to the defense of this game without having played it. How can anyone defend any game until it's played by the person defending it?

Does that mean it's bad? Not at all. Just that it falls short of being the game that many thought it would be.[/QUOTE]
Company A advertises Game B;
People Expect C;
When Game B comes out, and doesn't meet up to expectation C (usually this isn't a game's fault - sure, companies advertise, but that's what they do - they never usually say this "game will be perfect or close to");
People then react like D(icks).

Rinse, repeat.
;)

[QUOTE="unicron7, post: 6423876]I guess I could say the same thing in reverse in terms of people bashing the hell out of it before getting their hands on it. People are talking mad shit without ever booting it up. It's a hate train and everyone is jumping on board.[/QUOTE]

In all my years oif gaming, we love nothing more than doing this.

Sure, it might just be forum, reddit, comments, etc goers - but this has been time again a proven reaction.

Whether it's Driveclub getting shite (no PS+ version yet and server issue - in the beginning - s sure, but how many people actually tried, say the SP mode?). Or TF's multiplayer? Or the yearly sports franchises? etc etc

It's pile-on after pile-on.

We need to grow the F up as a community - and stop being so damned angry like we' re "victims".

It's just games. :lol:

Last edited:

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
[QUOTE="unicron7, post: 6423876]I guess I could say the same thing in reverse in terms of people bashing the hell out of it before getting their hands on it. People are talking mad $#@! without ever booting it up. It's a hate train and everyone is jumping on board.[/QUOTE]

But I'm talking about the people who haven't played it yet criticizing the reviewers who have played it. That was my point.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6423855]Then please quit crying. I said I am going to play it because I enjoy games with long cut scenes. Who are you to go off on a rant because I am not listening to the reviews?

I will play the game myself and give it my own damn review.

Chill the hell out.[/QUOTE]

Chill out? I'm not particularly worked up I just sometimes think I must be reading different reviews to people.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
Curious to see how the game actually sells. FH2 and SSOD for example both had good reviews yet did poorly in sales. Driveclub got alot of hate and yet it still outsold both of those games. Be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Last edited:

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6423880]Curious to see how the game actually sells. FH2 and SSOD for example both had good reviews yet did poorly in sales. Driveclub got alot of hate and yet it still outsold both of those games. Be interesting to see how this one plays out.[/QUOTE]

irrelevant. DC hate was for server issues and ps+ edition lie. Game is fantastic and no one argues that. AC:U was all about bugs, the game was also good , none hate about game itself. Reviews doesn't like the order itself.

Old Man Gamer

Superior Member
Jul 15, 2012
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6423880]Curious to see how the game actually sells. FH2 and SSOD for example both had good reviews yet did poorly in sales. Driveclub got alot of hate and yet it still outsold both of those games. Be interesting to see how this one plays out.[/QUOTE]

I really hope it comes down to more than sales. I understand the economics behind sales but it's killing the consumers. Hype the hell out of it and ram pre-sells down our throats. After that hope for the best and promise that the problems will be fixed in the sequel.

May 20, 2008

You know what, i said the exact same thing about a game I enjoyed on xbox-one that hardly anybody here actually played. People kept saying "reviews said the game sucked so Substance is just in denial" and this and that about QTEs and how they ruin the experience. Now we get a similar situation on a ps4 exclusive and people want to call out reviewers for the exact same thing they agreed with them on less than 2 years ago.
This game is hit and miss just like I predicted. Some people will like the game more than others, and some won't like it at all. Review scores are showing just that. I say go play the game and judge for youself but dont be surprised if it doesnt live up to the hype because the red flags were there long before this game had its first review. I'm not saying this is the case for all games, but whenever devs and publishers try and keep games out of the hands of gamers until release, its for a reason. The game is beautiful graphically, but hopefully this will teach some a lesson not to focus on graphics and resolution too much. You can thank the gaming media for helping push that agenda.
I still think this game will sell OK mostly because of the hype. Welcome to next gen.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
That's exactly it games have amazing graphics and yet there is always something that just feels off I wonder what that something is.
The Order 1886 from how I seen it a long ago was something with a interesting concept and just saying to myself can they pull this off?
Like Substance said it was either that it will be a hit or a miss. This game will sell fine regardless despite what people think of it.

One day i'll play this myself and see what I think of it. Learn't that I will never buy a console for one game. Just learn't over the years that I find it hard to get hyped just don't get sucked into opinion's of the gaming media or review companies point of view.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Old Man Gamer, post: 6423884]I really hope it comes down to more than sales. I understand the economics behind sales but it's killing the consumers. Hype the hell out of it and ram pre-sells down our throats. After that hope for the best and promise that the problems will be fixed in the sequel.[/QUOTE] Killing the consumers? Oh please. Smh. If it sells well then that means its appealing to alot of people despite the mixed reviews. And I bet most of those people will actually be enjoying it. And the people I saw streaming it on Live from PlayStation were saying mostly good things. Now thats assuming it even sells well of course. Might not. @Shingo DC was also getting hate at first for being light on content too. Kind of like how this game was hated on for being too short even before the reviews.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
It's sad that someone already beat this in 7 hours, platted it too.

http://redd.it/2wi2u5

See, this is why I miss Blockbuster. Because I rent games before I justify buying a $70 overpriced product that has no replay value and only lasts less than 10 hours. Sorry, The Order will NOT get my $70 (plus tax). Maybe when it's in the bargain bin for $10.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6423845]Destiny 2.0

Not looking good considering ubisoft's questionable performance. (for the Division and RS: Siege) DICE handling battlefront is also iffy. And while H5 multiplayer was decent, SP is up in the air.

Could this be another year of disappointment?[/QUOTE]

A game that got slammed by reviews but shined in the eyes of millions of gamers who play it an average of at least 3 hours a day. Perfect example of how review scores from 2-3 dozen individuals could potentially rob people of an experience they love when they take their words as gospel and don't follow their own intuition.

I lost a LOT of the remaining respect I had for the 'game journalism' industry yesterday. I can't believe how many assholes out there demonstrated unbelievable acts of unprofessionalism via snide and snarky tweets and memes. These are the people gamers rely on for opinions on games acting like childish assholes.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
True. Wolfenstein New Order got mixed reviews, but the actual game is easily a 9/10 to me. Wonderful game and they actually made the effort to make a fantastic SP with replayability, awesome voice acting, amazing writing and extremely fun gameplay modes like 999 mode with infinite ammo, 999 health and dual-wield on all guns. Oh and 15-17 hours in one playthrough on easy for me. Now that's a game worth every dollar.

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6423899]A game that got slammed by reviews but shined in the eyes of millions of gamers who play it an average of at least 3 hours a day. Perfect example of how review scores from 2-3 dozen individuals could potentially rob people of an experience they love when they take their words as gospel and don't follow their own intuition. I lost a LOT of the remaining respect I had for the 'game journalism' industry yesterday. I can't believe how many assholes out there demonstrated unbelievable acts of unprofessionalism via snide and snarky tweets and memes. These are the people gamers rely on for opinions on games acting like childish assholes.[/QUOTE] Yeah I lost ALL respect for so called 'game journalists' quite awhile back. They have hit an all time low as of late though. So yeah instead I was watching some people playing it today on Live from PlayStation.

Last edited:

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6423901]True. Wolfenstein New Order got mixed reviews, but the actual game is easily a 9/10 to me. Wonderful game and they actually made the effort to make a fantastic SP with replayability, awesome voice acting, amazing writing and extremely fun gameplay modes like 999 mode with infinite ammo, 999 health and dual-wield on all guns. Oh and 15-17 hours in one playthrough on easy for me. Now that's a game worth every dollar.[/QUOTE]I'm sure to some, The Order, will be too.

Mopey.

Sandy Claws
Apr 19, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think calling them "journalists" or "critics" in the first place is nonsensical.

Many of them do not have journalism degrees, did not study game design, nor have the required knowledge to properly judge a game. And because there is no standard, they don't need anything to review games. Just the backing of a site and big logo. That being said I do value the opinions of certain specific reviewers because over the years I have found my taste closely matches theirs.

It's very different from the film or TV industry where we simply wouldn't value these people's opinions. And that makes no sense to me.

But that's a whole other issue altogether.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6423899]A game that got slammed by reviews but shined in the eyes of millions of gamers who play it an average of at least 3 hours a day. Perfect example of how review scores from 2-3 dozen individuals could potentially rob people of an experience they love when they take their words as gospel and don't follow their own intuition.

I lost a LOT of the remaining respect I had for the 'game journalism' industry yesterday. I can't believe how many assholes out there demonstrated unbelievable acts of unprofessionalism via snide and snarky tweets and memes. These are the people gamers rely on for opinions on games acting like childish assholes.[/QUOTE]

What about the opposite? People continue to play games like COD and Battlefield no matter how repetitive/rehashed they are or if the game quality is good or not. (or even review scores)

If what is being said about this game's length is true, than perhaps the publisher shouldn't be charging $60 for the game. Perhaps $40 is a more appropriate amount.

Also this sort of behavior/reception isn't really unique to this game. There have been other high profile games (not talking about destiny here) that have gotten a similar response.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6423899]A game that got slammed by reviews but shined in the eyes of millions of gamers who play it an average of at least 3 hours a day. Perfect example of how review scores from 2-3 dozen individuals could potentially rob people of an experience they love when they take their words as gospel and don't follow their own intuition.

I lost a LOT of the remaining respect I had for the 'game journalism' industry yesterday. I can't believe how many assholes out there demonstrated unbelievable acts of unprofessionalism via snide and snarky tweets and memes. These are the people gamers rely on for opinions on games acting like childish assholes.[/QUOTE]

There in lies the folly of reviewing a game that has a long term gameplay setup in a handful of days before release.

But trying to compare that to this is also folly.
This game is not designed to be played online or for a infinite time. Its longevity will not be hours a day months after its released. It was never set up or designed as such a game.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6423700]Thats all you ever do in the ps4 section anyway so we admire your loyalty as well. lol

Wow thats cool. But 8 bucks aint exactly a huge loss. lol[/QUOTE]
Rad. I moan cos I expect better from Sony. These ain't ps1 we're playing. I'm highly critical as I know they can do better. End of.

How come your loving Sony atm anyways? You turned against ms for good now?

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6423908]There in lies the folly of reviewing a game that has a long term gameplay setup in a handful of days before release.

But trying to compare that to this is also folly.
This game is not designed to be played online or for a infinite time. Its longevity will not be hours a day months after its released. It was never set up or designed as such a game.[/QUOTE]

The duration of the intended playtime has no relation to my point. It's that if everyone based their purchases soley on reviews they would be doing themselves a disservice regardless of playtime.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6423907]What about the opposite? People continue to play games like COD and Battlefield no matter how repetitive/rehashed they are or if the game quality is good or not. (or even review scores)

If what is being said about this game's length is true, than perhaps the publisher shouldn't be charging $60 for the game. Perhaps $40 is a more appropriate amount.

Also this sort of behavior/reception isn't really unique to this game. There have been other high profile games (not talking about destiny here) that have gotten a similar response.
[/QUOTE]

Like what?

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6423910]Rad. I moan cos I expect better from Sony. These ain't ps1 we're playing. I'm highly critical as I know they can do better. End of. How come your loving Sony atm anyways? You turned against ms for good now?[/QUOTE] Yeah right. lol And turn against MS? So thats been your beef with me all of a sudden? lol Like I should be loyal to a corporation or brand like you? Smh. Naw, I just prefer what ps4 is offering this gen over what x1 is thats all. Nothing more. Just like how last gen 360 offered better imo at least until its last 3yrs. Then the xbox brand went to hell thanks to Mattrick and Kinect. And now MS is doing the Fable Forza Halo rinse and repeat thing again along with launching a weaker machine than the competition.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6423912]Like what?[/QUOTE]

AC:U?
I dunno Ad, you cant win.
If multiple review scores a game high and people feel like it didn't deserve it, then game journalism are slated.
If multiple review scores a game low and people feel like it didn't deserve it, then game journalism is slated.

Destiny isn't without its flaws either , it got a similar reception, despite to this day the valid criticism that nobody know what the hell is going on in the story still holding true.

What I took away from the reviews has nothing to do with length of this particular game, but did tell me that what I had watch on you tube in small snippets was valid for the entire game, and that doesnt grip me.
It may well some and they should be able to make their own mind up about a game based on a review of the actual game mechanics.

The fact that so many reviewers didn't like the mechanics just means that those mechanics aren't popular amongst abroad section of people, but it doesn't mean that people who love that type of game wont love it, and they should go and pick it up regardless.

But this decrying of "they only want shooters" or "game journalism is dead" is just bemoaning the fact that really, someone opinion doesn't match your (not you ad in particular) opinion of a game.

If you love QTE laiden games with rudimentary cover based gun play, this game is for you.

Thats what I took away from reviews. I also took away that it didn't appeal to that many.

Prettiest game on the console, QTE and questionable game-play....hmm I still haven't played Ryse....

Last edited:

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm

I lost a LOT of the remaining respect I had for the 'game journalism' industry yesterday. I can't believe how many assholes out there demonstrated unbelievable acts of unprofessionalism via snide and snarky tweets and memes. These are the people gamers rely on for opinions on games acting like childish assholes.[/QUOTE] That's if you go only by review scores. A lot of the reviews still mention how solid the actual gameplay for Destiny was, it got marked down for other reasons.

[QUOTE="Lebowski, post: 6423901]True. Wolfenstein New Order got mixed reviews, but the actual game is easily a 9/10 to me. Wonderful game and they actually made the effort to make a fantastic SP with replayability, awesome voice acting, amazing writing and extremely fun gameplay modes like 999 mode with infinite ammo, 999 health and dual-wield on all guns. Oh and 15-17 hours in one playthrough on easy for me. Now that's a game worth every dollar.[/QUOTE]
No, Wolfenstein overall got generally positive reviews and praised for the aspects you mention.

Sorry, a lot of these reviews have the information needed for you to make a purchase. Dying Light didn't get great reviews, but it was praised for the aspects I liked, so I picked it up and loved it.

The actual gunplay for the game looked barebones to me from the start and some reviewers confirmed that. Some might like it, but my opinion of it is most likely compatible with the reviewers who did find the mechanics average.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="mistercrow, post: 6423914]Yeah right. lol And turn against MS? So thats been your beef with me all of a sudden? lol Like I should be loyal to a corporation or brand like you? Smh. Naw, I just prefer what ps4 is offering this gen over what x1 is thats all. Nothing more. Just like how last gen 360 offered better imo at least until its last 3yrs. Then the xbox brand went to hell thanks to Mattrick and Kinect. And now MS is doing the Fable Forza Halo rinse and repeat thing again along with launching a weaker machine than the competition.[/QUOTE]

I got no beef with you man, just don't appreciate you trying to paint me as a sony hater. i just expect more from both of these so called next gen consoles and am very vocal about the poor offerings so far from Sony....seeing as they have the more powerful console!

Defo gonna rent this anyways!!